1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Tire Options, 2017 Prius 3

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusPeep, Jun 27, 2023.

1. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My 2017 Prius 3 has 63,000 miles and needs new tires. My dealer is offering the choices that you can see in the attached photo- Hankook, Goodyear, Michelin or Toyo.

While I think the Michelin tires might have the best overall quality, I like the idea of Toyo because they are the closest to the original tires.

I thought I had a different original brand, but I will refrain from concluding that someone pulled a fast one. The name Toyo does not ring a bell.

Any suggestions when my top goal is a quiet ride and, of course, safety.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota often runs specials of buy 3 get 1 free on tires. Unless it's urgent, you should just wait for that.

Michelins will probably give you the longest wear and will be the quietest tire. You get what you pay for.

Merkey likes this.
  3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked at any real tire shops or chains? Those car dealership prices look high compared to what Costco and Discount Tire are charging here.

road2cycle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the Michelin tires and a wheel alignment. I am glad I did it. The drive has noticeably improved. I have had my 2017 Prius 3 since 2016. While not urgent, it was time.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the “dealer” a Toyota dealership? If so, you’ll likely have better selection and lower prices, anywhere else.

assuming 15” is what you’re looking for, Michelin Defenders are worth considering,

#5 Mendel Leisk, Jul 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You bought the best. Those Michelins will last twice as long as some of the others.

7. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad to hear that. While they were more expensive, the difference was not so significant to overlook the benefits.

8. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got the Michelin tires at the Toyota dealership where I bought the car. The advertised price at Costco was about $100 less but I am not a member.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah up here right now Costco has $150 CDN at-the-till discount discount on a set of four Michelins (reduces the 12% sales tax as well). That place somehow just sucks money out of you though, plus the annual fee of course.

10. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I’m a bit late to answer your question but one thing to consider beyond the initial cost for whichever set you choose is are rotations, rebalancing, and flat repairs included as part of the package. A rotation can cost $20+, rebalance $20+ per tire, and flat repair (done properly) $30+. These can add up over the lifetime of a set of tires if they’re not part of the purchase price.

Another thing (at least at my local Toyota dealership) is their tire selection is limited and significantly more expensive compared to America/Discount Tire and Costco.

11. sylvaing

sylvaing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which, if you buy a lot there, is alleviated by the "check" they send you yearly. For us, it almost covers the cost of the membership.

Mendel Leisk likes this.