1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Tire Pressure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusPhotog, May 6, 2005.

1. PriusPhotog

PriusPhotog New Member

I received my new Toyota Prius in mid-March and immediately loved the vehicle. I was averaging 47 mpg right off the bat, with a few hundred miles well over 50 mpg when I took it up to the Platte River to see the Sandhill Crane migration. From my reading, I knew that I needed to get an accurate tire pressure gauge. I didn't get around to that purchase until last week. When I checked the tires, I found that they were very high: 47, 47.5, 48, 47.5 psi. These are the standard tires that say right on them that they should be inflated to no more than 44 psi. I tested the tire pressure after the car had sat overnight in a garage at 45-55 degrees F. At the point when I tested the pressure, there were around 900 miles on the car. I immediately dropped them down to 40-42 psi.

I feel so silly for not checking the pressure sooner, but I was under the false assumption that the dealer knew what they were doing. In all likelihood, did I cause any damage? Maybe some extra tire wear? Moral of the story: check the tire pressure the first day off the lot!!!

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree, but further, check everything, not just the tire pressure! It's likely the oil level is OK, but too much isn't a good thing.

As for your tires, they are probably fine, any extra wear would be in the center of the tread and will even out quickly runing at the correct pressure. I run the same pressure, but the placard pressure is lower still.