1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer told me that Toyota plans to start repairing bad hybrid batteries

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aaronlife, Jul 27, 2015.

1. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Dealer said, today, that in the future, Toyota plans to repair batteries as an alternative to replacing them, but they haven't released the tech/equipment/etc. yet. He doesn't know the timetable. He was surprised to know that individuals were already doing it...

I guess that is good news for Toyota owners who want to maintain a dealer/OEM Toyota relationship.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not likely. the problem is determining when the next cells are going to go bad. toyota doesn't want the bad rep the private rebuilders have.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The same dealer with this info was surprised that individuals were doing it? Disregard anything these idiots tell you.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be very surprised.

Toyota's approach has been a rather long initial warranty on the battery, followed by "Buy New" either battery or vehicle.

Don't really see where they would benefit from suddenly getting into the battery refurbishing business. They don't even want to extend a new battery purchase warranty beyond 1 year. How would they warranty refurbishing work?

With the availability of knowledge on the internet, I'm sometimes surprised at the ignorance of dealerships and/or sales people.

I supposedly bought my Prius from a salesman that said he sold TONS of Prius. But when we sat down to do the deal? I had to tell him that Oregon was a CARB state and thus the Battery warranty was 10 years or 150,000 miles. You'd think that knowledge would be basic to a salesman selling Prius in Oregon.

So really, whatever a dealership tells you in terms of what is coming or even what is here, is better taken with a large Sea Salt pill.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I bought my new car in one of the bigger dealership in CA and during Finance, that person didn't know CA was a CARB state with a longer warranty. That I was in disbelief!

So my thinking is they DO KNOW KNOW, but they play stupid to possibly sell you an extended warranty.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a line used to convince on the fence buyers still worried about crossing over.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe he was trying to set me up for a sales pitch for an extended warranty. But with a new Prius 8 years or 100,000 Miles or 10 years 150,000 miles respectively is pretty extended to me.

They never really even tried to sell me an extended warranty. I just think my Salesman really did not know. Which IS really funny considering he was selling Toyota Prius in Oregon, AND he even said he owned one.

Yep, they'll say anything they think will help.

I was at an local auto show in 2010. The Gen 3 had just been released. A suit had a crowd around The Prius and he was giving a walking tour of the vehicle. I remember him going on about how he "knew" battery replacement costs were going to go down. We were just a few years away from a new battery replacement being $1000.

Well it's 2015 and I'm still waiting for that price plummet.

#7 The Electric Me, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015