1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer tried to void my warranty...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DocVijay, Sep 29, 2006.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

So I went in for my 20k mile service today, and after it was done, the service guy comes back and tells me that the left axle boot is leaking. Well, then he proceeds to tell me that becuase of the extensive modification to the suspension, it's not covered under warranty.

:angry:

So I calmly respond that it's a TRD suspension kit, and you guys installed it, so unless Toyota has suddenly changed it's policy, it IS covered. HE stops and thinks for a second, and says he'll check on something.

:rolleyes:

Comes back five minutes later and says, OK, I've ordered tha part, and it'll be covered under warranty.

:D

I drive home laughing. Didn't even need to bring up the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. ;)

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What an idiot. Dealers get paid for warranty work (as do techs). There really is no incentive to deny a warranty claim, other than to try to look smart or if they are on a power trip.

Nate

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah... sounds like a power trip. at least you weren't intimidated ;)

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How'd you know he won't claim under warranty but charge you anyway?

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 30 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]326054[/snapback]</div>
    They have to provide an estimate... that the owner signs... before work begins. At least that's how it is around here! If it doesn't say "ZERO" for estimated cost, there's a bit more to be done.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 30 2006, 12:59 PM) [snapback]326054[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty much what Darell said. I am NOT paying for this repair, and he told me before I left that it was covered under warranty.

7. BT Tech

BT Tech New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some dealers really amaze me. I think that this guy was trying to show some sort of "authority" but you obviously called him on it and he backed down.

I am happy for you that everything worked out in your favor!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 30 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]326097[/snapback]</div>

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 30 2006, 11:36 AM) [snapback]326097[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, what I meant was he was gonna charge you (by saying it's not under warranty) then after he does it, goes to Toyota and claim as warranty work.

It's either that or they're too lazy to do the paperwork for warranty claims.

9. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 30 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]326163[/snapback]</div>
    That yes, they could very well do that. Immoral, but I'm sure it happens all the time.

10. dipper

dipper Senior Member

I would have the stupid guy write down why warranty is void. Then go to Toyota Customer Service line to ring him out. :lol:

Infiniti dealer tried to do that to my friend's G35 this week with warranty work. It was all scare talks... he would not write anything, but move his lips.

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dipper @ Sep 30 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]326186[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, no reason to make things any worse. I like this dealership, so I don't want to do that. I think they were just doing the standard "try and get some extra $$$" trick and this time it didn't work.

12. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Sep 30 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]326067[/snapback]</div>
    That's a nice technical loophole: if the owner doesn't sign, I guess they aren't liable to pay for the repairs. My wife and I were eating in a restaurant across the street from a marine repair place last week, and the owner was having lunch with a salesman I guess. He told the story of how a guy came in, $250k boat, with motor issues. When they tore it down, there was obvious damage from water getting into the oil, which happens if the bilge pumps aren't turned on, and the water rises enough to get into the oil tank in the hold. They call the guy, deny his warranty, he screams and yells, but finally tells them to go ahead and rebuild the motor. He comes, pays by credit card, drives the boat away, gets home and cancels the credit card payment. There was nothing they could do, as the guy hadn't SIGNED for the repairs. :blink: I'd never have the guts to pull something like that myself. :unsure:

13. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Sep 30 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]326260[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I don't think I could ever pull a stunt like that either. But if hte estimate lists anysort of charge, then I won't sign it. That simple.

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Problem fixed last Friday. No charge. ;)

Knowing is half the battle. Go Joe.