1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer used 5w-30 syn

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mtnbkr, Apr 28, 2011.

1. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got my 20k service as the local dealer and they installed 5w30 synthetic according to the receipt. I didn't notice this and haven't spoken to them. This was about 2 weeks ago. Is this an issue that I should remedy? I have noticed the BEST gas mileage I've ever recorded so far so haven't been alarmed yet. It's also due to the weather warming up here and I've been dealing with low mpgs through the cooler temps.

What should I do?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    While not the recommended oil it will not damage anything leaving it in until the next change. If you have the time you could point it out to the dealership before time goes by and tell them you want the correct oil put in and have the service performed.

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    That's going to be your last "free" oil change so I'd make 'em do it right (0w-20).

I'll be getting my "free" 10k mile* service done this weekend by Doug's Complete Car Care Service (ahemm, that'll be me in the drive way). Sure it's going to cost me $30 but at least I'll know it was done right and with the oil of my choice (synthetic mobil 1). Plus, my dealer is about an 80 mile round trip so I'll also save some on gas and a whole lot of my time.

*10K miles in only 6.5 months! Crap.

4. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd go back and have them use the correct oil. The one they used isn't even the secondary oil listed in the owners manual.

From the owners manual:
    If SAE 0W-20 is not available,
    SAE 5W-20 may be used. However,
    it must be replaced with
    SAE 0W-20 at the next oil
    change.

5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They put 5w-30 in mine at the 15.000km first check and I have noticed no difference at all. The dealer likely did not have 0w-20 (which only the Prius uses) and I have heard from another PC user from Italy Toyota there did not have this oil at the time.
    5w-30 is OK - not perfect, but it will not destroy your car or do any damage. But next time it *has* to be 0w-20 - otherwise your Toyota dealer will have a nice chat with you, since they are going against Toyota's own policy regarding oil change/type as per user's manual. Pretend to have 0w-20 oil next time. (like I will). Or bring your own 0w-20 synth oil to be used in your car.

6. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go back and have them change the oil again, this time putting in the correct 0-20 weight. You will accomplish two good things: 1) protect your car; 2) allow the dealer to recognize their mistake and take steps to prevent it in the future. The dealer may also reward you for your inconvenience.

7. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The type of engine oil to be used in Gen3 Aussie Prius was not specified, and 0-20W oil is very hard to find or not available altogether in Australia. I wonder what type of engine oil they put into mine as it only stated "Toyota Genuine Oil" in the interval service tax invoice.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't think 5W-30 will hurt a thing. If it were not for the warranty issue I would use 5W-30 or 0W-30, at least in the summer. There is this statement in the Owner's manual: "An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions." But I don't know exactly what that implies.

The only reason I know of for 0W-20 is because Toyota uses it for emission and fuel consumption testing. The EPA requires that the viscosity used for the tests be the only viscosity recommended to the consumer. There is a link on here somewhere to that EPA requirement but I can't find it right now.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Considering your mileage has never been better, maybe it's a typo on the bill. That's two steps up the viscosity range, through 5W20. That should be impacting your mileage, not improving it, LOL.

Either way: frustrating to see that on the bill.

10. Gary in NY

Gary in NY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You really should have the specified oil viscosity. Engine clearances and passage and jet sizes are matched to the intended viscosity. I can't say if 5W-30 is too far off, but if the oil is heavier than the engine is designed for it may not circulate and lubricate properly, and may run too hot. This can cause increased engine wear. You don't have an oil pressure or temperature gauge to see the effect of the heavier oil, so I'd be more comfortable sticking with the recommended oil.

I had this done to me too with a previous car; I noticed from a receipt I was given 10W-40 for an engine that specified 5W-30. I decided to change it out.

1 person likes this.
  11. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suggest you go to the snack bar at the dealership, steal all the donuts, and refuse to give them up until they redo your oil change. Nothing motivates more than donuts held hostage.

12. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I believe this coming tank on fill-up will be the best tank I've ever gotten. I know last summer my tanks were usually about 49-50 mpg actual and 52-53 computer calc'ed. Currently I'm sitting near 56 cpu calc'ed and my partial tank from the fillup was 52 mpg actual. I believe these to be significant increases which leads me to wonder how much would 5w-30 impact it?

I did call the dealer and here's the story according to them. First off, they don't stock 5w-30 syn in toyota oil. They only have 0w-20 syn toyota oil. He says the ticket goes from the service receivers with generic info like "oil change for 2010 prius." Then it goes to two places, parts and mechanics. The mechanics typically have all they need down in the service bays, like oil, filters, etc. It is well known to all of them to check the cap of the engine to verify oil weight and 0w-20 for the prius isn't anything special. They do not enter in the computer the parts they use and all they do is say the job is done when it's done. The parts dep't does the actual invoicing and puts in the parts. The service receiver/manager says that parts made a big mistake in typing this in wrong and that is all it is.

Should I buy his story? I'm leaning towards yes since my mpg is so much better than before. I did not notice this large jump in improvement after the first oil change.

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I change the oil in my Prius with Mobil1 0w-20 and my daughter's Corolla that uses 5w-30 Mobile1. There is a noticeable difference in appearance between Mobile1 0w-20 and 5w-30 oils on the dipstick. The 0w-20 is noticeably thinner and lighter in color. Someone who is familiar with these two oils should be able to tell you with reasonable certainty which one is in your car. If not, or if it looks like 5w30, I would go back to the dealer and insist they put in the 0w-20.

I would not believe for one second that the dealer does not stock 5w-30 synthetic. What about the many late model Corollas, Avalons, Camrys, etc. that use 5w-30 and the customers who own them that want a synthetic oil change? The dealer doesn't want their business? It doesn't pass the 'smell test". The convoluted explanation of how the invoice is written also sounds bogus.

14. mtnbkr

mtnbkr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Let me clarify. They claim to have 5w-30 but in Mobil1 syn only. No toyota 5w-30. So it would be very out of the ordinary for the mechanic to pick up mobil1 syn to put in the prius unless requested by me. That's what the guy says.

15. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Exactly. This is why car manufacturers now specify only one oil for year-round use. Unlike in the past, when you could run a lower viscosity oil in the winter, i.e. 5w-30, and a higher viscosity oil in the summer, i.e 20w-50;or, a wide range viscosity year-round, i.e. 10w-40. The specified viscosity range is also narrower, i.e. 0w-20.

16. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Guys - attached the German Prius User's Manual - it essentially says that you can use 5w-30 without any issue.
    Pics of the manual attached - translation as follows.
    (Why the US and the EU/Germany user's manual should say or omit information between versions on such topics, is beyond me...)

The german User's Manual is, FYI, printed in Japan...

Attached Files:

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's because of different legal requirements.

The US fuel economy ratings are determined with 0W-20 oil. If Toyota allowed 5W-30 oil, then the ratings would need to be made with 5W-30 oil.

1 person likes this.
  18. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    In the EU ratings are based on what is the factory "settings" - i.e. how the car is delivered to the customer. If I put a different oil inside after that and the fuel consumption changes I cannot sue anybody for having a different fuel consumption than what published officially by the car manufacturer...

Well, if that is the case, clearly US drivers can use all what is specified in the German user's manual - but don't complain about lower fuel consumption to me!! :)

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no legal restriction on US drivers using any oil they want to use. The restriction is on manufacturers using one oil for advertising and regulatory numbers than listing another oil viscosity as factory recommendation.

I think that for once the US gumnt got that one right. They get much higher usage of the more fuel efficient oil that way and leave the people who actually understand what they are doing free to use other viscountcies if it fits their needs or desires.

20. Gary in NY

Gary in NY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From the German manual it appears you should be OK with 5W-30 if that's what you got.

You might want to read what someone over at FerrariChat has to say about oil (these are folks that are focused much more on their ICEs): FerrariChat.com - FAQ: Motor Oil Articles by Dr. Ali E. Haas (AEHaas)

This problem of possibly writing incorrect things on receipts takes me back to my Honda, which I took in for "D" service (the major 30,000 mile service). I was charged for D, but noticed later my service book was marked showing I only got "B" service (minor service that comes more frequently). I could never be sure what I really got. It was after this that I started doing more of my own maintenance; that way I at least know what was done and what materials were used (though I also take the risk that I do something wrong).