1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer used Aftermarket gear oil instead

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Mar 19, 2022.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Subaru Outback was due for the 36k service. I did all all of it myself, except drain and fill of the front and rear differentials.

My independent mechanic said the differential service wasn't needed -- in fact he actually laughed -- but since it is under warranty....

Took it in. They immediately told me the brake fluid was dirty and needed to be flushed (and it is part of the 36k schedule). Told them I had done it myself -- so no. Amazingly the cabin filter and engine air filter were also dirty and needed to be replaced (I had done it myself in the fall).

So a few hours -- and $240 (around there) later it was done. But on the invoice, noticed they had used BG gear oil. What? If anything they should mention that beforehand....maybe give a choice?

I did not say anything, but was a bit fuming. In the meantime I had received no less than three texts and two emails asking to please rate their service.

I am tempted to rant about the use of the BG fluid vs "Subaru," but not sure if I am just being a fussy idiot.

I know BG is supposed to be one of the wonder products, although a quick look at BITOG shows some controversy.....but those folks argue over everything.

I am assuming Subaru gear oil would have been cheaper, but the reason I had the dealer do it and not my indy mechanic is that I wanted Subaru oil to assure no hassle with any later issues and did not want to get into a hassle about it with my "real mechanic".

So, should I fill out one of those surveys and rant?

And, just how common it this. I thought dealers were supposed to use OEM. A quick google shows BG is showing up at Toyota/Subaru dealers across the USA>

#1 Stevewoods, Mar 19, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe you can ask a Subaru help forum their thoughts? Clearly this is a Prius forum and no gear oil in differentials here.

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, the same could be said of lots of topics in this particular forum ;)

It's a general question --- maybe ethics, if anything.

which is why it is in Fred's HOP, not in one of the real car forums. I sort of "know" folks here -- the Good, the Bad and the Ugly, so to speak.

compared to some new board. But, yes, I need to find a Subie board someday.....:confused:

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Had a similar issue at a Honda shop many years ago with the emails asking to rate their service. I actually talked in person at the dealer who sent the email. It was shocking to learn the even she was not interested in my negative review. After all they had done something during the service that was not on the invoice and changed the cars behavior in a severely negative way.
    This same dealer used B&G oil additive to 0-20 weight oil and overfilled a half to a full quart every time. Plus with dealer add on lifetime oil change program they used recycled oil as I eventually realized. Wonder what the viscosity of that was? Than add the pint of B&G on top of that. I'd also gotten a windshield wiper refill from the parts dept. that had a split rubber blade in the tampered with packaging. After that I got aftermarket Bosch all season wipers. This dealer also had 4 presidential service award plaques on the wall in the waiting area. I wonder how they got those? They must have been years old by the time I'd seen them. I still have the car, no thanks to the expensive service schedule.
    Livv an learn, as the ole saying goes.

Stevewoods likes this.
  5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Lviv and learn :eek::D

vvillovv likes this.
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! :unsure:

#6 ETC(SS), Mar 20, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    Stevewoods likes this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm sure the manufacturer and dealers treat what oil goes into the car as a commodity. As long as it meets the specification the manufacturer sets as requirement, it should be fine. So dealers could use whatever is available.

If BG is showing up at Toyota and Subaru dealers, maybe there are issues with the normal suppliers.
    Around 15 years ago, I was picking up a part from the local dealer. They had Motorcraft synthetic, not the blend found in big box stores. $9 for a quart.

The Subaru gear oil has a MSRP of $12. It's $23 on Amazon. Other online stores list it for $9.50, sans shipping or local pick up only.
    Idemitsu Racing 75W-90 Gear Oil is $19 on Amazon, and they are the Subaru OEM oil company. Supertech full synthetic is $8.50, and very likely is fine for your car.

On another note, Fram makes the OEM Subaru oil filters.

Stevewoods likes this.
  8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Subaru differentials aren't very picky about their lube and the BG is a fine product.

Now the Subaru CVT fluid... I would not substitute that one.