1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer uses Krex Graphite Lubricant in Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by dustoff003, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The local Toyota dealer SERVCO Pacific out here in Hawaii uses/adds Krex brand graphite lubricant to all vehicles serviced at their dealerships and to all new vehicles imported in to the Islands at their dealer preperation center. I don't think that it will hurt anything, my wife's 2005 Tacoma has been serviced by them sence new and has recived Krex at each service it has 113,xxx miles on it.

Here is a link to the Krex site, KrexInc.com

My Prius is new and has had this lubricant in the oil so unless I change the oil, I guess we shall see.

I was just wanted to solicit others thoughts about this product and its usage.

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's primary purpose is as lubricant to make it easier to extract money from your wallet.

3 people like this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Don't bother and just send me $20 instead ;)

The gen3 2010 Prius uses a special (and expensive) 0w20 oil for best performance, engine longevity and extended service intervals. Why waste extra money on something that is not recommended by the manufacturer and therefore not required?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's not much of a recommendation... Especially since you are already paying top dollar for 0W-20 synthetic oil, can you decline the additive when an oil change is performed?

5. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    That was a statement rather than a recommendation. I do not or am not recommending this lubricant just want to seek out more information regarding it's usage. Yes you can decline having the Krex added. I was just wondering if anyone knew the if there were any pro's or con's to using this graphite lubricant. I was mainly concerned with any harmful side effects. But unless you do opt out which I would guess most people do not every dealer serviced Toyota in the state has this added to the oil. I agree that it is probably not needed and just another way for the dealership to profit, but right now it is in my cars engine. I just read my owners manual yesterday and DIY oil and filter change instructions are not listed. Does that mean Toyota would rather me not do my own oil changes and preventative and scheduled maintenance?

6. CTpriusV

CTpriusV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I read their ad, seems strange that they are claiming that engine oil can go to 1350 degrees, I track race my Vette and when the oil temp gauge goes to 300 it's time to shut it down (never does), the real problem is the lack of info on the Toyota can , I ask the dealer if it was GF4 or GF5, GF 5 is the new standard for 2010 and in fact it does contain graphite and moly and it is a big step forward from the the now old gf4 oil. One of the biggest problems for the lab people when designing the graphite and moly was to get it to work as the moly was a problem with the timing chains, so in my book this is snake oil:confused: