1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants to replace shifter instead of even trying to fix the warped plastic dust shield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zmre2b, Jul 27, 2012.

1. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A common problem with older Prius, especially if they sit in the hot sun, is that the plastic dust shield for the shifter distorts and causes the shifter to click and sometimes stick. Multiple people have reported they themselves or their dealer has fixed the problem by taking out the shifter and removing or trimming/modifying the part of the dust shield that sticks.

My otherwise favorite Toyota dealer says the only thing that they will do is replace the shifter. They seem scared to look into the service manual to see what the dust shield is and just fix it that way.

Have others here had their toyota dealers do this fix? Others on this forum and others report that their Toyota dealer fixed this without replacing the shifter.

Can you tell me what dealer that was, and maybe I can ask this dealer to talk to that dealer so that they understand this is common and easy fix?

any other suggestions? Anyone know a decent repair place in N. Virginia that won't be terrified of removing or trimming a dust shield on the prius shifter?
    Thanks.

2. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll check it out if you want to drive to Beckley, WV.

PC36100 ? 2

3. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    FWIW this is the Parts pic of the shifter.

PC36100 ? 2

Attached Files:

zmre2b likes this.
  4. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the exploded view photo. where is the dust shield that everyone talks about that warps?

UPDATE: I found a dealer that can do it. They knew exactly what it was and said it is generally an easy fix and they rarely have to replace the whole shifter.

Some dealers actually employ mechanics who can fix and repair cars. Some dealers only employ parts people who just swap out parts and damn the cost or any sense of value to the customer.

By the way, don't go to Leesburg Toyota -- they are the latter.

5. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: Shifter fixed in 45 minutes at zero out of pocket cost.

Before taking it to the dealer I talked to yesterday I found a thread on replacing the shifter and a video on trimming the plastic piece and it looked easy so I thought I'd try it.

I haven't picked up a screwdriver for more than 5 minutes in 20 years but I fixed the sticking shifter with a 12mm socket, phillips screwdriver, and small flat screwdriver in 45 minutes. I could do it again in about 15 minutes.

Just follow the instructions at How to Replace 2G Gearshift Lever | PriusChat for taking apart the dash. you don't need to unplug anything - just push it aside with wires still attached. I didn't even unplug and remove the shifter assembly. I just left it plugged in and removed the front driver facing cover that has the warped dust shield behind it. At first I trimmed the dust shield so that it wouldn't stick anymore, and it probably would have worked, but it was so warped that I was afraid it might still stick so I just threw it away. It is unlikely the minor dust protection is worth the chance of further warping and sticking. The shifter works great without it.

I would have gladly paid a real mechanic (not a parts monkey who can't do anything except order and install large expensive parts) one or even two hundred dollars to do this for me, but at least it is fixed now.

ColoradoCrow and koolingit like this.
  6. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to play devil's advocate, there is merit to swapping an entire sub-assembly in many cases. The amount of labor involved is generally lower in a swap vs. a disassemble-rebuild-reassemble. Furthermore, the probability of the module failing after the rebuild is much much lower when the entire sub-assembly is replaced.

Of course, this doesn't make economic sense in 100% of the jobs done, but it also doesn't make sense to slam a mechanic who decides to do a replacement over a rebuild. This might just be a way for him to tell you he doesn't want your business. There are easier dollars to be made...

7. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it depends on the repair and the subassembly.

here the replacement would have cost $800 parts and labor. I fixed it myself in 45 minutes with no out of pocket cost, and someone who knew what they were doing could have done it in 10 minutes. This a common Gen II prius issue. The other dealer knew and was going to do the repair instead of the new part.

Leesburg Toyota and their moronic service department sucks. Why would you even try to defend their stupidity, laziness and attempt to charge a customer $800 for a part that they do not need when another dealer would have done the repair for a fraction?

8. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reread my post: "Just to play devil's advocate"

Being that you're so adamant that dealership X is the next worst thing since cancer, it seems you're throwing out the baby with the bathwater, and declaring the practice of module swapping equally moronic.

How about, instead, you spend some time wrenching yourself, and tell us how that goes for you?

xs650 and toyotechwv like this.
  9. zmre2b

zmre2b Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. You convinced me. I will pay 800 to swap out a perfectly good part instead just doing a simple fix either myself or by taking it to another dealer who tries to fix small problems instead of replacing otherwise perfectly functioning expensive parts. Thanks for the helpful info and wisdom!

10. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome, thanks for the attitude!

xs650 likes this.