1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer's applique install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by tag, May 26, 2004.

1. tag

tag Senior Member

Hey, do any of you(s) think I should make them do this over? :lol:

They already ordered and received another one.

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks a little bubbly to me. Wonder if they washed it properly before trying to apply it.

Dave

3. tag

tag Senior Member

Good question! But I just saw a pic in the Photos section of Rick's (htmlspinnr) applique and it looks about the same as mine.

This is a tough one because I'm not exactly sure how it's supposed to look. All I know is the guy in the service department wasn't happy with the result.

4. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

They put it on backwards. They put the top on the back.

5. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, it is on correctly, just look to the left and you see the PRIUS logo.

6. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

[/quote]
    No, it is on correctly, just look to the left and you see the PRIUS logo.[/quote

The portion on the vertical surface with the little rectangles should be on the top of the faceplate (bumper).] That's the only way it fit correctly. Look at the installation sheet that comes with it.

7. tag

tag Senior Member

Just for reference, here's the pic posted by htmlspinnr (Rick):

8. tappel

tappel New Member

Mine came installed...I assume the dealer did the work. I didn't realize it was an applique until reading a couple of posts on the matter. It looks as though it was painted on...no bubbles, etc.
    Tom

9. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what is it?

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It protects the bumper from scratches when removing items from the trunk.

I foobar'd in a previous vehicle and removed a furniture dolly blade down, and scratched the bumper big time. Such an applique would have reduced or eliminated such damage.

Yes - there are bubbles in that pic. No, not all come that way. Mine was port installed I believe, and it looked just fine. No bubbles to speak of.

-Rick

11. Just-Jay

Just-Jay New Member

The pictures are coming up 404, and I haven't seen the applique but am considering one. If it is essentially a big, heavy-duty clear sticker as I suspect, there's a trick to applying them.

Clean the bumper thoroughly. Mix up a very thin soap solution, like about a half-teaspoon of liquid dish soap to a quart of water. Put this in a spray bottle. Spray the bumper, and as you peel the backing off of the sticker, spray it. This will buy you time to align things perfectly and squeeze out any bubbles. Use a rubber roller or firm pressure to put it in place, and leave it undisturbed for a couple of days.

I was shown this by a sign shop that puts permanent signs printed on clear plastic on the doors of vehicles.

12. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

No, it is on correctly, just look to the left and you see the PRIUS logo.[/quote

The portion on the vertical surface with the little rectangles should be on the top of the faceplate (bumper).] That's the only way it fit correctly. Look at the installation sheet that comes with it.[/b][/quote]

If you look at the top surface from an angle, the words "PRIUS" appear.

13. tag

tag Senior Member

After returning to the dealer and having another service guy look at the applique, I decided against having it re-done. It is installed correctly and, upon close inspection, there were only a handful of bubbles on the right side.

Frankly, I was concerned that the second one might have looked worse. Further, the service associate said that, since the applique was part of the original deal, it was guaranteed for 3 years and, if it started to look really bad, they'd re-do it free of charge.