1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealers are calling me left and right...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Dec 13, 2005.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

We put a deposit down (first Sat in Dec) on an '06 Prius for delivery on 1/1/06 or as soon after as possible. I came here later that evening and got advice to contact other dealers. I did. I've contacted four Toyota dealers in my immediate area. One has only communicated via email once. The other three have called me numerous times. They all know what I want and when. Not one has tried to get me to buy now versus after the new tax credit (in all these phone calls...the first sales manager did try to get us to take the one we test drove). Several are actually up-to-date on the tax credit!

So...if they are not trying to sell me the car now, why are they all calling now? Don't get me wrong, I am happy to chat with them and I really want an '06 as soon after 1/1/06 as possible. This just seems too good to be true! No one has promised me anything, but they sure are interested in talking to me. Could it really be just good customer service????

What are your thoughts?

Also, when we do take delivery, what are the dealers likely to 'offer' (extended warranty, paint/interior protection, ......)? Which of these dealer options did y'all purchase? Why? Do we really 'need' (such a relative word, I know) any dealer options? Anything we should plan on purchasing right away? We are in San Diego, if that helps. I am just preparing in advance for a quick delivery, if at all possible. :)

On that note, does anyone know what rate Toyota is offering on new loans (48 months)? I went to their site, but did not see specifics. We already have a loan through them that is half over and they offer a 'special' program for existing customers, but the link tells you to call your dealer. Somehow I doubt they are open at 11:30 pm. ;) Any other tips for financing?

Thanks in advance!
    Karin

2. TidelandTravis

TidelandTravis New Member

I didn't put deposits down, but visited several dealers and told them to call me when they had a nav equippied car with no mark-up. I still get calls... I'm in sales, when you want to make a sale, you stay on it.

As for the free crap, don't count on it, most dealer are adding that sh*t on to mark it up without an actual mark-up.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Karin,

Stay away from the dealership extended warranty. That's usually one of their "profit centers" where they really make their money. You can buy the 7yr/75k extended warranty any time up until the standard warranty expires. It's even written in the little brochure that they'll give you. They're betting that you won't know that. You can buy the warrenty through a chap here on Prius chat for much cheaper (approx $1000 vs $1500+ at the dealership). You can cancel the warranty anytime until it expires and Toyota will give you a prorated refund. You can probably do better than Toyota financing. I've got USAA and they have sweet car loans. I actually took out a home equity loan to pay for the car so that I can tax deduct the interest. I have a fixed rate 20 year term. That means the monthly payment is low. The downside is that if I don't make extra payments then the car will cost me a fortune and I'll be paying for it long after I get a new one. However, because I'm self employed I like cash flow advantage and I'm a pretty disciplined guy and will throw money at the principle on a regular basis. I'll try to pay off the car in 3-5 years.

I did get the clear mask installed by the dealership. Here in Denver the DOT uses gravel as well as salt when it snows. The little pebbles slaughter the paint without remorse so I wanted something to protect the front of the car. It only costs about $180 as I recall and was worth the convience of letting them do it. I also did the touch of class fabric sealant and wax finish for the exterior. I'm pretty sure that you should avoid that. Can someone else comment? To my knowlege there are vastly superior after market products that are less expensive.

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    To take the last first: there's a thread somewhere on very current financing (3-4 days ago). I just got approved for 4.94% through Costco. A couple of credit unions were reported as slightly lower; most are higher. Toyota's probably around 5.5-6, not counting any break you may get. Rates going up quickly!

The only dealer add-on some people haven't been bothered by is the rear bumper "applique", which goes on the top of the bumper so you don't scratch it putting things in your hatch or taking them out. It's thin, and you can get better ones aftermarket. (Toyota's is about $60.)

My guess is that they're calling you because there's a temporary '06 "glut" building up because so many folks, like you, are holding off until 1/1/06, and they're hedging their bets. Either that or you're simply dealing with diligent salescritters, doing what they're supposed to do.

Dealers are GUARANTEED to "offer" an extended warranty. You can't get one any cheaper than right here at PC (through a dealer in MA): 7 yr/100K mi, zero deductible for $990. You have until 3 yr/36K mi. to decide to buy one. Just tell the dealer you'll wait. Protection packages are a waste of money.

I always recommend that buyers get a front-end "bra"/"mask" immediately. You get stone chips in San Diego the same as anywhere else. The "official" Toyota black vinyl one costs about $112 (NOT from your dealer!). Some people prefer an adhesive "clear coat"; for availability/cost, just look in your Yellow Pages under "Automotive-Paint".

5. TidelandTravis

I don't see the need for a bra/mask... the bra is usually uglier than a few stone chips... and in san diego/socal, there's no need (just my opinion)

6. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Clear mask. The thin, clear vinyl coating. You can't see it from more than a few feet away and even then you have to be looking for it. I agree the regular bras aren't my cup of tea.

7. sunnysandiegan

Thanks Tripp!

I have a few questions, if you don't mind...

How do you go about securing a home equity line of credit to purchase a vehicle? I actually have an offer for a HELOC through one of our credit unions (not USAA) and they'll give us a Home Depot gift card, which we could use right now. I thought you had to use the funds for 'home improvements', though...

What is a clear mask for the car? Got any pictures? :) We do not have the same issues here with gravel/salt on roads due to weather/plowing/etc, but we have plenty of big trucks kicking up road junk. My '95 Corolla would be in perfect condition except for two general things: 1) Tiny paint 'chips' due to rocks and such; and 2) WATER stains on the fabric seats.

When we purchased our '04 Camry, we opted for the paint/interior protection since we planned for that car to be our family car and we have a young child. We mostly drink water, but water is what stained my fabric seats. :( I'm sure we overpaid, but it was worth the peace of mind to me.

8. TidelandTravis

The dealer isn't known as the "stealer" for no reason

9. sunnysandiegan

Thanks Jack!

You reminded me to check into Costco. I read somewhere that someone got a $500 price break of some kind through Costco on a Prius. We have a membership, so I will check them out tomorrow.

I think I understand the car mask/bra thing now. I'm not into those, but a clear one is probably an excellent idea. I'll check into those, too. We are shifting our plans and will likely make the Prius our family car and let the Camry enjoy a break. DH has put nearly 36,000 miles on it in just under two years. Conversely, I only put about 2000 miles on my Corolla in the last two years! The Prius can use all the protection it can get. :)

10. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's what we're hear for. ;)

You can use the money to buy crack if you want, but I bet they'll raise the interest rate on ya. :D

No you can use the money for anything, doesn't have to go back into the house. I went with a loan instead of a HELOC because I wanted a fixed rate. HELOCs are usually variable rate and more ala cart in nature. Buy something here, buy something there kinda deal. I knew that I just wanted the car and the predictable cash flow thing was important to me.

I can try to get a picture but I'm afraid that you won't see much. it really is pretty hard to see. It's great for protecting the car's paint from those tiny flecks due to pebbles, bits of glass etc.

Some kinda sealant would probably be a good idea but I think there are folks here who could give you some recomendations for after market products that are better and cheaper. You might even be able to get the dealer to apply them, but you'd have to pay labor costs and that might negate the savings. do not know. Some else will have to step up on this issue. I'm just not very knowlegable in this area. I wasn't a car nerd until I bought this car. What I don't know could fill several very large warehouses at a minimum. :D

11. TidelandTravis

As a real estate guy, I'll tell ya, Tripp is right.. the HELOCs are variable rate loans, usually with interest only payments... currently pushing 7% but I got 4.9 from my credit union on the prius, since toyota lease rates were terrible.. strange seeing as how the prius retains it's value so well. Since I bought it with the intention of dumping it within 6 to 12 months the low fixed rates and good resale made sense

12. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    That were I, when you first posted.

13. sunnysandiegan

Thanks Travis!

I thought I had the terms a bit mixed up (home equity loan vs. HELOC). I'll dig out the letter regardless and make some calls tomorrow. We are, in fact, doing home improvements as well as buying a new car. I am not really interested in financing the home improvements, but the car is a different story. :) Whatever loan works out in our favor... :D

Tripp - I think I understand the clear mask thing now, so no photos are necessary. I haven't seen one in person, but I can describe it well enough now to get quotes.

Jack - So you got $500 AND a low APR through Costco? Score for you! :)

14. TidelandTravis

I will add, that many times I regret buying the prius... other than the savings on gas, the queries of passerbys etc... there's many things I don't like. Luckily my buddies on here give me reasons to like it. If you're accostomed to driving corollas and other such cars you will love the prius. If you've had any type of lux car you will hate it.

15. sunnysandiegan

New question: Do car mats come with the Prius???

I was searching for info on the various local Toyota dealers' web sites. One has an '06 Prius in stock and has the following items listed:

floor mats
    8 gallons of gas
    50 state emissions
    destination & delivery
    TDA

It was a silver package #8 (I'm pretty sure) and listed MSRP as $29,xxx. It did not break out the above items, so I don't know if they are standard charges or whatnot. What is 'TDA' in this context?

Thanks!

16. TidelandTravis

only believe what's on the actual Toyota sticker... mine had the mats and the stupid decal on the top of the rear bumper (which you can't even see) included, but they were factory options. Anything on an separate piece of paper on the window is mark up

17. sunnysandiegan

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

My view on cars is probably considered odd by many these days. I don't really like to drive. I opt to walk as much as possible for many reasons, mostly health- and environment- related. I work part-time from home and live in a community where walking is easy to do (low crime, sidewalks/crosswalks, nearby shopping/libraries/schools/post office/restaurants/etc, somewhat considerate drivers, etc). Obviously, though, in our modern society, driving is required some of the time. (Our public transportation system is seriously lacking.) I've always owned small preowned cars (Chevette...HORRIBLE VEHICLE; Colt; Corolla -- hey, I didn't even realize they were all 'C' cars...LOL), so the Prius is actually going to feel SPACIOUS! LOL The comfort is not exactly what I was expecting from a new car (2006 versus my 1995), but I'll adapt. DH will have a tougher time in that dept since he is used to his Camry and other 'nicer' cars (hardly what either of us would consider 'luxury', though).

I do suspect I may enjoy driving a bit more when behind the wheel of the Prius! :) All the nifty read-outs are right up my stats-loving alley. :D I've already negotiated one weekday a week to drive the Prius even though we (as a family) would benefit more if I let DH drive it all five workdays. LOL

18. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got 3.99% for my Prius, it was lower than USAA where I had gotten a lower rate when we got the Sienna.

19. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, you got a good deal with USAA. Did you bargain at all? I called and they said 6.2% v. 3.99 from Toyota. The Toyota finance was the cheapest I could find. You must have been awarded a medal or something. :D

20. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because it's a Prius, they might not give you the discount, that's what my dealer said.