1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealers in DC-VA-WV; any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by larkinmj, Jul 21, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

My sister is thinking about buying a Prius. She lives in Manassas, VA, works in DC, and frequently is in Martinsville, WV. Has anyone had a good experience with a Toyota dealer in those locations? What is the demand like in the DC area?

2. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jul 21 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]289957[/snapback]</div>
    I bought my car from Darcars Frederick, MD. I live in Rockville MD and originally had put my name down for a car that they had coming in. But then after checking around I found out that they had overcharged me (also, the salesman and sales manager were totally ignorant) so I cancelled the order. I looked around and got a very good Internet price at Fitzgerald in Gaithersburg but I didn't like the color they had for the one they had in stock and they said it could take several months if I ordered one. So I decided to look a little further. I got a reasonable Internet price at Leesburg Toyota and contacted the salesperson but again it wasn't in the color I wanted.

I didn't find anything else close to me but I saw what I wanted advertised at Darcars Frederick. I didn't bother to call but just drove up there. They didn't have that one anymore of course, but had one coming in. I was really impressed with the sales manager who has owned a couple of Prii since 2001 and was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about sharing his knowledge and driving tips. His name is Joe Taylor. So I bought from them -- they couldn't match Fitzgerald's price but they were $250 lower than Darcars, Rockville (100 off MSRP plus floor mats for $77) and felt good about it.

One thing to watch out for ... in MD, the dealer fee is capped at $100. In Virginia, it's a lot higher $300 or $399, I don't remember. I don't know about DC or WV.

3. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jul 21 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]289957[/snapback]</div>

I am from Long Island,NY and ended up buying my 2006 pkg#6 from Miller toyota in manassas VA.
    my sales person was Sarah Baumgartner phone# 703-396-5026 she was great.
    I couldn't be more pleased.
    check out their site millertoyota.com to see what inventory they have.
    They are the second largest dealer in the US. and get alot of pri
    If you tell her you got her name from priuschat you might get a discount.

I had a great experiance there.

Good luck!

4. ntender

ntender Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 21 2006, 05:14 PM) [snapback]290138[/snapback]</div>
    I bought mine from Joe Taylor at Darcars in Frederick, MD as well (back in January). I was impressed with the dealership and especially impressed with Joe. Not only is he a Prius enthusiast himself, but he was more than willing to do some work to get me the right car by swapping with another dealer. I even had a sales person at another competing dealer recommend going to him.

I also looked at Fitzgerald Toyota in Gaithersburg, MD. They seemed to be very good as well, but they didn't have much of a selection at the time. Their internet price seems to be very competitive. I will be taking my car for service there since it is close to my office.

5. sharkmeister

sharkmeister Junior Member

I looked at a Prius at Alexandria Toyota and have gotten oil changes there and I like them.

However I actually bought my Prius in Winter Park, Florida because I had to deliver my old Sebring convertible to my folks in Florida.

A nice thing is that you can check their inventory on the website: http://www.alexandriatoyota.com/

Ouch!

They've only got two in the inventory at Alexandria Toyota right now. In the past when I visited the site they usually had 8-12 vehicles listed.

What I understood from the sales person when I was there looking was that they were willing to negotiate a price on a Corolla, but the Prius was in too high demand for them to give me a nice deal.

6. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You may wish to check out the "Dealer and Pricing" forum here on Prius chat.

I had an excellent experience with Sarah Baumgartner 703-396-5026 at Miller Toyota in Manassas, Virginia. She is friendly and nice to work with. A few months ago she had some great discounts off of MSRP. Since your sister lives in Manassas I would not hesitate to purchase there and they are likely to either have the best price or be able to match it (my guess).

Best regards,

Eric

7. kkellly

kkellly New Member

just bought mine from rosner in fredericksburg va, i got 500 off sticker because i was a member of navy federal credit union. They did not have the color i wanted but swapped cars with another dealer to get it. i had driven to the dealer and was not trading in the car and they helped me get both cars home. i thought that was great because i live 35 miles from the dealer.

8. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

Keith Tate at Priority Toyota (Sales MGR)

910 Boulevard, Colonial Heights, VA
    (804) 526-2811

[email protected]

No hassle, $900 off MSRP on package 6, 2nd week of June 2006

Gave me more than any other dealer in DC area for my trade also

Totally hassle free in and out in an hour, unbelieveable!!!!

Best buying experience ever...bought our Sienna van from Miller, but they were $2,000 under the trade price from Keith and straight up MSRP. They were great also, but man...$$talks too...

Much better to buy from a dealer south of DC right now with the I95 HOV restriction, the Hybrid sales are drying up right now...

Tell Keith the guy that traded the crew cab pickup sent ya!!! They have all my business now...

9. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 21 2006, 05:14 PM) [snapback]290138[/snapback]</div>
    I just reread my post and realize that I left something out and it is probably a bit confusing. I meant to say that I had originally put my name down for a car at Darcars ROCKVILLE (not Darcars Frederick) that they had coming in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ntender @ Jul 21 2006, 09:49 PM) [snapback]290257[/snapback]</div>
    The only problem with Joe Taylor is that he is hard to get hold of because everyone wants to talk to him! And he IS a talker! ;)

10. n51222

n51222 Junior Member

I bought my 2005 from Joe Taylor at Darcars Toyota in Frederick, MD, and I can't say enough good things about the experience.

Joe is (as previous posters have mentioned) a Prius enthusiast himself, and was very helpful both before and during the sale. He's been helpful since then, too, in helping me work around the Bluetooth phone book transfer issues that the Prius has.

The service department at Darcars in Frederick has been OK, too. Not spectacular, but they get the job done.

11. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    She should absolutely check out Miller Toyota in Manassas, Rt. 234. I bought my Prius there in April at $1300 below MSRP.

Now might be a VERY good time to make a deal on a Prius in Northern Virginia. The Prius and darn near every other type of hybrid has been selling quite well in the last few months, if the numbers I see on I-95 every day are any indication. But people were rushing to buy a hybrid and get it registered with DMV prior to July 1st so they could use the I-95/395 HOV lanes. Hybrids registered after July 1st aren't eligible for the "hybrid exception" to the HOV restrictions. So in Northern Virginia, right now demand is down from a peak demand leading up to July 1st, and supply is up.

As I posted in another thread this week, Chantilly Toyota had at that time 25 Prii on their lot, and this morning Miller has 14 listed in the online inventory. Supply is darn good - much better than when I bought in April.

My salesman was Mr. Hash (703-396-5037). This was the third Toyota I've bought from him since 1992, and that may have had something to do with the good deal I got. Another salesperson who was mentioned quite a lot on PC last winter and spring is Sarah Baumgartner (703-396-5026).

Encourage your sister to shop around, but since she's right there in Manassas, she really should talk to someone at Miller. We had a great experience there with Mr. Hash - the car was there when he said it was going to be there, everything was explained fully, and everything was just right with the purchase, the trade-in, and the Prius itself.