1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealers in Hiding - I inquired at 20 locations in Texas

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by enerjazz, Mar 5, 2004.

1. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been monitoring a few Prius groups for many, many months. Since lead time seems to be increasing I decided to plop down a deposit and get in queue. I e-mailed the 20 closest dealers (Dallas area) and ask if they were charging MSRP, how many names were on their wait list, what their recent monthly allocations have been, and a few other questions.

Of the 20 dealers only 6 bothered to respond. The first response (Toyota of Dallas) sent this "Good luck on your search..... As most dealers, we have a market adjustment..... Ours is only $2,000!!" He's out of the running.

Only 2 of the dealers told me the length of their list and gave me a price (both MSRP). One list in town was 24 deep. The other in a small town 90 miles away was 8 (but they have only received one car total to date).

I went to the Dallas Auto Show today and quizzed the heck out of the Toyota reps for any tips or advice. One wanted to know how I knew so much - I, of course, credited the group. No real tips other than what I've learned here, though they scowled when I mentioned the folks asking way over MSRP.

Finally, on my way home I stopped at the closest dealership and asked for a manager who could give me the straight scoop on their order process. They gave me a written quote at MSRP with only one addition - the dreaded Port Package (13 misc items from tape stripe to a first aid kit) for $930. I asked if I could delete that and they said yes.

When I pressed for the length of list and their recent orders promised they would collect that data and give it to me. I'm going back on Monday. If they come thru with the data and cut the deposit way down from the $1000 they requested I'll be in line.

By the way, the two Prius cars at the auto show were absolutely surrounded. No other car was drawing near that big a crowd. If anyone spots an unclaimed #6 or #7 in Seaside Blue I'm not afraid to fly!!!

Thanks to all,

Paul

2. cybele

cybele New Member

Good for you for taking a proactive approach to getting your car!

Is your deposit refundable at the local dealer if you find the car elsewhere (most dealships are fine with letting people of the list, they know they can't satisfy demand)?

Here's a thought I had, some dealerships aren't that internet savvy (hard to believe) and might not process your email in a timely fashion. You might want to give them a call. It's a tedious process, but you've read this list and you've seen that some folks have had results.

3. enerjazz

enerjazz Energy+Jazz=EnerJazz

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the deposit is refundable (and I'll get it in writing). I do plan to phone a few more on Saturday before I make my final choice on dealer. If they have an e-mail address listed you would think they would at least have someone monitor it. I waited a full week and still got nothing from 14 dealers.

Thx,

Paul

4. rockluvr

rockluvr New Member

Also you want to make sure that you get on the list before March 9(?) or the cutoff date to get the $300 rebate as Toyota has raised their prices - not a bad idea to get that in writing too from the dealership. Let us know how it works out. Good luck.