1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealers misidentifying trim levels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by allgold, May 29, 2024.

1. allgold

allgold Junior Member

I'm looking for a used 2015 Three or Four. I just saw one pop at a local used car dealer that looked almost a perfect match for what I'm looking for. It's listed as a Four. The bad news is it's really a Two.

Then I started looking online with a fairly wide area and found at least two other 2015 "Four"s that are really misidentified Twos.

I just thought it was strange that it appears to be a fairly common mistake. I'm not sure why, other than 2015s have backup cameras that lower trim levels on 2010-14s didn't have.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Misidentifying trims seems to be a long-running problem. When I joined here, there was evidence that the number of used Gen2s marked as 'Touring' greatly exceeded the number actually built. Most of them were also pictured with non-Touring wheels.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The CR/TR numbers get ya all us need know about that units trim level. Used car dealers don't give a crap it's a 3 4 or 7 or a 9 makes no difference to them what matters to them is what sounds good when they write the ad I swear it must be that because all over the country if you look at car advertisements that are written by second and third party you know used car dealers not at the Toyota dealer You should see the things you will read and read out loud to yourself and be like what the hell yeah I mean it's just unbelievable and then individual selling cars like in Facebook marketplace or even in what used to be the newspaper you know whatever classifieds you partake in now craigslist auto junction whatever the descriptions of vehicles and trim levels and equipment is hysterical It's like a night out of the Dave Chappelle show almost.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Too bad Toyota doesn’t put the trim on a plate somewhere easy to see. Glove box?

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It's inside the door panel right under the center of VIN number at the bottom of that sticker should be a C/TR that is your trim I do believe

Attached Files: