1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealers selling at MSRP

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dwreed3rd, Jun 20, 2008.

1. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Perhaps this is not a good idea for reasons that are not immediately obvious to me. But it is late and I need to go to bed. But after reading a number of posts quoting up to $10,000 over MSRP, and asking if anyone knew of a dealer in the area selling at MSRP, I was thinking we could start a thread were we can post dealers that are known to be currently selling Prius' @ MSRP. I'm not saying that we are recommending them or their service. Just a post if you know of a dealer actually selling @ MSRP. I realize no one will probably want to list their dealer, if they're on "A List", till they get their Prius. But that's O.K. since your not sure til the paperwork is completed. I heard that one dealer in the metro Atlanta area was charging $4000 over MSRP even though the customers that had put $500 down, to be on the list, and were told that price would be at MSRP. I also heard that this same dealer was buying up Prius' at $1500 over MSRP from other dealers. I was in the process of getting on their list when I heard what they were doing. I won't mention their name since they are now at least telling of the premium above MSRP up front. Anyway, If it's a bad idea for some reason, hopefully PhiusChat can just delete the thread. Hopefully, at least, someone will respond to the person in Rhode Island looking for an MSRP dealing dealer within 1000 miles.
    Goodnite!

2. Garrymon

Garrymon New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Harrelson Toyota in Rock Hill, SC is charging MSRP. They do require a $1000 non refundable deposit though. Diane McGriff was my salesperson and was great!

3. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Denver Metro area dealers all sell at MSRP last I checked

5. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    toyota of nashua NH sells at msrp and they always seem to get a steady flow of them.

6. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. jjksutton

jjksutton New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Central Florida Toyota in Orlando is selling at MSRP. $2K deposit (refundable). My wait was about 4 weeks, picked it up last night. Ask for Courtney or Ryan in the internet sales department.

8. MagneticGrayIndy

MagneticGrayIndy 06Prius;94M Miata;65Rambler770

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    O'Brien Toyota in Indy sells at MSRP

9. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jim Barkley Toyota in Asheville, NC is selling at $300 below MSRP with a refundable $500 deposit and a LONG waiting list.

10. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WE are...
    MSRP + $650 ( appearance package, clean up, lot handling fee and some additional profit ) It's all upfront.

11. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wonder what Toyota's policy is on dealers gouging their customers for money over MSRP.

And what's the difference between MSRP and the sticker price on each model?

12. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Probably about the same as their policy on customers gouging the dealers for money under MSRP. S = Suggested.:)

13. stedman98

stedman98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We purchased from Kim's No Bull Toyota in Laurel Mississippi. MSRP plus $299 dealer charge. WWW.KimsToyota.com
    Dealt with Danny. Great guy. No list, no waiting. Just called and he had one. 3 hour drive from beautiful Pensacola, FL.

14. ksullivan2002

ksullivan2002 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Priority Toyota in Cheasapeake, VA. Just picked my car up on the 20th. Excellent service! Took three weeks from time of order to arrival of car. Ask for Tiffany in Internet Sales. When you get your car - ask for Bob Fogerty for the delivery portion of the deal.

15. wtfjr36

wtfjr36 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I posted elsewhere on this board, Earl Stewart in North Plam Beach FL is at or below msrp.
    We bought from Peter Rosenblum in internet sales.
    Geat place to buy !!
    Bill in FL

16. eko

eko New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    DeLuca Toyota in Ocala FL is selling @MSRP. One of the best car buying experiences we have had in quite some time...

17. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Forgive the long post..I hope it helps Perspective Prius buyers!

New Prius sold in today's gas crisis environment:
    I think new buyer have to be acutely aware of the Dealerships view of selling the Prius today. We have to assume in the short term it will probably get worse for Prius buyers, but long-term, the situation should improve slightly in 2009.

Dealers and their sales folks take an annual beating in sales every winter, including this past late 2007/early 2008. All potential Prius buyers should be aware last January and February, while Prius inventory was at its plentiful at the dealership level, the sales people were starving for sales and giving good, under MSRP deals to anyone looking for a Prius. Prius buyers could find their range of options they wanted at negotiated pricing..see many posts from the Prius buyers that can't understand why we paid full or above MSRP pricing.

In late March. and perhaps even earlier, as the gas crisis reared its ugly head, the tables turned on the seller/buyer balance at the Toyota dealerships, and it rapidly became a Dealership market. Hungry sales people did what they do; they sold every Prus in stock, at or below MSRP last winter. And this is only at the sales person level.

Now its summer, the gas crisis is in full bloom, Dealerships absorbing its usual winter losses now look at the Prius as the magic bullet to recoup some of the normal winter losses. From their perspective (not ours) t's a gift from the gods.

June/July 2008
    Today, Dealerships selling Prius at MSRP is like a Houdini magic trick. The buyer may have a good idea what the true cost of the car is based on the Toyota website, however that may not translate at the Dealership level. Toyota can post the photos of the car with the option features and costs and it means little to today's seller/buyer.

Toyota does not own USA dealerships.

On the Dealership level, the first bulge (increase) from the MSRP comes in the 'Options' customers choose. Next, are the prep and delivery charges, all add-ons if the customer is not clear what s/he is paying for in the final price. (it should be clearly stated in the contract).

The other Dealership slight-of-hand charges come in the accounting numbers. Be aware of the high pressured extended service contracts All Dealerships try to sell the car buyer. Dealerships/Toyota have nothing to do with a Service Contract, although they will tell you otherwise, based on their commissions.

If the sales person has accounting numbers that don't add up too your numbers, let them know in no uncertain terms to get their figures right or leave ASAP

The final method, and perhaps the easiest legal/acceptable method for the Dealership to increase the cost of your Prius, is what I assumed with a forced smile when I purchased my Prius in late April. These tactics I term as
    'the traditional 'add-ons', I didn't ask for or want any of them at the time of the contract. I actually appreciate some of them now.

Unless the market improves for buyers,or you have a born-again sales person, these sales tactics will remain with today's Prius buyer.

I assume:
    In January or February the cargo net, carpets. protective plastic body molding trim, maybe even my xm radio installed, shark antenna could have been a negotiating issue for my Prius.

I graciously accepted these items knowing there were Prius customer lists being taken from sales people at the Dealership and at the time of my purchase. I traded my Highlander SUV at fair market (blue book) value. Thank you Toyota.

This is not a 'buyers beware' posting. This is simply a reality check
    If your invested in purchasing a Prius go for it!!.... amd do it with your eyes wide open! I love my Prius, and its worth all the hoops you may have to jump throuh.

18. AndyMartin826

AndyMartin826 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Big Two Toyota here in Chandler, AZ is selling them at MSRP + ~$400 delivery charge. Same procedure as others, put your $1000 down and get on a list, they call you when their allotment comes in.

19. debos

debos New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    claremont toyota in southern california. check them out, talk to dave in the internet/fleet department. awesome guys.