1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dealer's take on rattles & warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Abe, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Abe

Abe Junior Member

I have a dash rattle as well, and just got off the phone with toyota of santa monica. they claim any rattle that happens after 12,000 miles is not covered by the warranty. I've NEVER heard that before. Isn't bumper-to-bumper supposed to be just that??

by the way, what is RTV tape... and where would be the best spot to use it to de-rattle?

thanks

2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Abe @ Jun 11 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]459635[/snapback]</div>
    If you read the books that were given to you, in the warranty section under "what is not covered" you would find rattles, squeaks, and whistles. Off the top of my head, I'm surprised they'd cover it for 12000 miles. Nobody wants to pay someone to try to find and fix a rattle when things start to loosen up.

3. johnjohn

johnjohn New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jun 11 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]459872[/snapback]</div>
    I had the intermittent dash rattle issue two months ago at around 29K. The rattle issue seems to be outside temperature dependent.

Go to Longo Toyota for warranty dash rattle service if your car is less than 36 month / 36,000 miles. They will test the car with you at a bumpy driveway especially built for this purpose. It probably will take them a couple days to resolve. However, they will provide a free rental car. Ask for Jerry and/or anyone else. My service experience has always been excellent including very fast car drop off even without appointment. Due to this dealer's huge auto repair volume, they have lots of first hand experience on this particular issue. Apparently, they encounter this problem on the daily basis. My experiences with other local Toyota dealers, such as South Bay, were not even close both in repair quality and, more importantly for this particular issue, service personnel's attitude and helpfulness toward warrenty repair coverage.

If you prefer to do it yourself, self sticking felt sheets (~ $1.5 per 8"x10" page available at fabric stores) can be cut and placed at various plastic panel junctions, including the dash leading edge closest to windshield glass. Foam weather striping can be used to prevent wires from hitting the plastic panel, such as the dash. Also make sure that all of the wires right under the dash are secured to the clips as shown in the enclosed photo. I followed these steps and have eliminated all dash rattles.

I hope this info helps.

Attached Files:

4. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

12K for "fit & finish" is the industry norm.