1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer's tire inflation rate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by m2dougherty, Jul 21, 2008.

1. m2dougherty

m2dougherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just had my first oil change and tire rotation at Atlantic Toyots in Lynn, MA. The service major said that in spite of the inflation rate listed on the door of my car, 35/33 they always do 32 on all tires.

I have a compressor at home and intend to check the rate and restore the original rate of 35/33.

I'd like to e-mail Toyota about it but could not find an e-mail addy for them.

What do you think?

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Call Toyota USA's 800 number.

3. m2dougherty

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I will call tomorrow. I went out when the rain stopped to check my tires.

They rotated then without touching the air in them so the back tires were still 35 from having been on the front and the front were at 33 from having been on the back.

I corrected them as we have a compressor in our garage.

:mad:

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although 35/33 psi is the Toyota spec, many Prius owners (including me) have found that 42/40 psi works well to promote even tire tread wear, and as a secondary benefit slightly improve mpg.

At 35/33 psi you are likely to find that the shoulders of your tires will wear rapidly.

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like you found a dealer that incidently also gets tons of business in the form of tire changes... specifically with bald edges but nearly perfect centers...

6. apcpa2000

apcpa2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just had my 5k service, and the dealer reset all my tire from 39/37 to 32 all around. Seemed weird. Plus they give you free tires for life. I promptly re-inflated them the next day.

7. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dealer should set tire psi to whatever you stipulate as long as it's within the Min-Max psi rating on the tires. You are the customer. If that's their concept of customer satisfaction, perhaps it's time to find another dealer or service shop. If they have this attitude regarding tire psi, do you trust them to not overfill your oil?

8. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've now had three oil change/tire rotation events at my dealer, and each one has resulted in something new in terms of the tire inflation. After the first, they adjusted to 35/33. After the second, they dropped my pressure from 44/42 to 42/40. After the third (this past week), they dropped the pressure a bit, but left me at 38/39 -- very weird.

It doesn't bother me much, because I check the pressure as soon as I get home and have let the car sit. I plan to inflate to near max at the first possible moment anyway.

9. m2dougherty

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I received an e-mail from the service manager asking about my satisfaction with my repairs.
    I asked about the policy of setting the tires to 32 which they did not do in any case.

I don't think they give out free tires.

I will call Toyota today.

I have been thinking about increasing my tire pressure but my husband is not comfortable with the idea.

10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No worries. However I predict that after you log 15K miles on your tires, you will see that the shoulders are quite worn compared to the inside of the tread, even if you rotate tires at 5K mile intervals.

11. cmeteach

cmeteach New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just got my 20,000 mile oil change and was hit with the news that I need new tires. The sides of my tires are totally worn and I am totally befuddled! The dealer told me to inflate no higher than 35psi, but I decided to stick with somewhere between 35-40 since the tires where rated higher and I was concerned about the wear on my tires. Yet here I am trying to understand how tires that are rated at 50,000 miles are totally worn at 20,000. I have had the car since May '07 and although I admit 20,000 miles in a little over a year is a bit much, but wheels are wheels right? ugh...I really don't feel like forking over $$$ for tires right now, but I have no choice. Are the goodyear tires the best or are there others???

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Goodyear Integrity tires are not good for much except they allow pretty good mpg even when new.

If you are a Costco customer, that chain carries Michelin-X in the Prius size. That tire model should offer exceptionally long tread life. However I suggest that you inflate at 42/40 psi to promote even tread wear.

13. doubleg2005

doubleg2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    every time i take my Touring in for an oil change and tire rotation, I ask them to look at the sidewall ratings on the tires (51) and inflate the fronts to 50 and rears to 48. after they finish i look at the tires and can actually SEE that they are too low, and when I ask about it... without fail, they have looked not at the sidewall, but at the door sticker that suggests to inflate to 35 and have put all four tires at 35 psi.

when i ask them to look at the sidewall or to allow me to use their air compressor, they cite that that would create an unsafe environment. thank goodness Brookshire's offers free air...

14. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just talked with a Goodyear dealer about Integrities. He recommended using the door panel figures, adding the tire is pretty good for its type. I replied that many Prius owners go to max or near-max of the tire. He said that will wear out the center tread early. I countered that mileage gets better with higher pressures. He shrugged, we talked about our various diseases. Knowledgeable guy, and he may be right about tire pressures. I intent to at least try the higher pressures for a while. He strongly recommends the TripleTread, BTW.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

In terms of the Integrity he is wrong about excess tire pressures wearing out the center of the tire. There have been enough anecdotal evidence to prove otherwise. :)

I've got over 40k miles on these ones with pressures exceeding 50psi. Right now they are at 66/64. I'll likely drop em to 60psi or 62/60.

Attached Files:

16. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    some of your dealers service advisor's are real idiot's! I told my dealer exactly what I wanted in my tires. 42/40 and he started to object but I asked him how he liked me coming back?

My service file now states to maintain 42/40 and it's in my service records that they do it. and yes I also check to make sure....

17. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Way to go Sheepdog!

18. pt95148

pt95148 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My dealer actually told me to ignore the psi on the door plate and to go higher as he said the Prius drives and glides better. I checked the tires when cold and found that they inflated to 40 all round.
    I just went in for a warranty check on alignment, nothing else done.
    When I took it back, it was washed!
    "zero' dollars paid and a free car wash :)
    Totally did not expect that!