1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership Changed Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GreenCleaner, Feb 29, 2008.

1. GreenCleaner

GreenCleaner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was looking at a used Prius at a non-Toyota dealership. When I looked at the carfax report, I noticed the dealership changed the battery

(reads: Vehicle serviced
    Battery/charging system checked
    Battery replaced)

Any idea how this may effect me in the long run? And should I leave this car where it's sitting????

Thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like it was probably just the 12v battery that they changed...on an '02 it would be due or past due.
    If it was the HV/Traction battery then I still wouldn't be concerned in the least as it probably means you'll have a good 250-350k miles out of that brand new pack.

3. GreenCleaner

GreenCleaner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's actually an 06. The salesman said it was the "regular" battery not the hybrid battery. Because the car is used, he said the dealership does a point inspection on anything that needs to be corrected with the car and that was the only thing that came up.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I understand that you have not purchased the car yet? Either way, I would not be concerned either about a 12 v batt replacement. I would like to make sure that in this case, a battery failure was not caused by excessive current drain by the Prius when it is off. IIRC there were some in 2004 that did that, because of a problem in the audio system.

Surely a Toyota shop can measure the parasitic current drain and tell you what it is. Something like 30-40 milliamps would be a good answer.