1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership NOT recommending services?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dodey23, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Dodey23

Dodey23 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello PriusChat!

My name is Todd, and I just bought a used 2006 Prius this week!

It has 65k miles on it and the gentleman I bought it from got one of those lifetime oil changes on it and took it in regularly to his local Firestone center. He also mentioned that was pretty much the only thing he has done was bring it in for regular oil changes.

My concern stems from bringing it to the South Bay Toyota Dealership today in LA. I brought it in for the recall, and also requested his opinion on replacing the PCV Valve and the Transaxle fluid, as those seemed to be the most pertinent things to consider post 60k miles after researching these boards a bit.

After my request for transaxle fluid check his response was: Not applicable, it's a sealed unit and I can't check it (understandable), and we don't even recommend replacing it until 90k miles.

For my PCV Valve request he says: You dont need to do that, we only do that on cars older than 9-10 years.

This seems to be the opposite of traditional dealer tactics, who want you to replace any and all fluids and replacable parts as often as possible. Should I get a second opinion? Am I overly concerned? If all the original owner did was routine oil changes, are there certain services I should demand at this point?

I am going to pick it up later this afternoon. The tech also did a courtesy inspection and said "the car is in tremendous shape and I can tell it had been well taken care of."

Thought I would get some Prius veteran opinions on my situation so far.

Also, I am having a heck of a time debating extended warranty options, and the only search results I am getting here are for the under-36k option. It's over 65k so most dealership warranties don't apply, but my credit union offers a 4 year warranty for about $900. Are 3rd party warranties like this one recommended? Are these even worth it for a Prius?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to priuschatting with you all for the next few years!

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't let that service manager get away from you. He sounds like a good guy and you should cultivate a good relationship with him.

Based on what I have seen in other peoples transmission Used Oil Analysis here, I would definiteloy get the transmission oil changed now if you are planning on keeping the car a long time. That should be done by the dealer or a tech that really knows Prii. The quicky change places are more likely to use the wrong fluid or screw something else up because they aren't familiar with
    Prii

For the PCV valve, check what people have been experiencing in the forum and go by that.

Thank the service advisor for his advice and explain that you are a little over cautious in those two areas.

1 person likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't recommend a third party service contract. However if you want to consider it I urge you to carefully read the fine print and consider how it will apply to the Prius unique systems.

Regarding the PCV valve and the transaxle fluid change, I recommend changing both at 60K miles (I personally replace the transaxle fluid at 30K mile intervals.)

Considering how quick many dealer service depts are to recommend items that you really don't need (like engine and inverter coolant changes at 30K mile intervals) it is strange to consider that some do not recommend periodic transaxle fluid changes which are simple and easy to do.

Good luck with your newly-acquired Prius.

1 person likes this.