1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dealership question for Diane (and anyone else)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bob Allen, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi Diane: When someone puts a deposit down at a dealer, does the dealer actually order the specific car with requested options and color, or is the buyer merely securing a "spot" in line at which point she or he will be offered whatever Prius happens to be there? Some folks have mentioned (and I have heard elsewhere) that your name is attached to a specific car and the dealer through whom you ordered it, is notified when it becomes "landed freight", i.e., just off the boat waiting for transport to the dealership.
    Reason I'm asking is to determine whether I should wait for the car I ordered or take whatever is offered me.
    Bob

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You do NOT order a specific car...in other words, there is no message or order than goes from the dealership to the factory where a car is built for you and stamped "To Bob".

Cars are allocated, somewhat arbitrarily is seems, based on prior sales ('01-'03 model year Prii). When one hits the lot that meets the specifications of an 'order' on the dealership's list they call you.

Whether you want to wait or not is entirely up to you. I'd wait on the feature package I wanted, but not the color (with a couple exceptions--can't stand white cars). If you're not at all in a hurry then order exactly what you want and prepare to wait.

3. tag

tag Senior Member

I wish I had understood that concept at the time I placed my deposit.

Funny thing, though, I recently looked at my "contract" and that doc clearly states it is an "Order". One section is pre-printed with the words, "To be delivered on or about" and the salesperson wrote in, "ON ORDER".

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealerships do, apparently, send in a list of thier 'orders' to the regional office who then determine which cars being alloted to the region will then be alloted to each dealership in part based on what their customers have requested. So, in that sense, it was ordered. I don't know if there's any mechanism where the allotments to the regions are determined by which models have been requested by the region...I doubt it though.
    --evan

5. Dianne

Dianne New Member

No, you do not order Prius. At no time has my region asked me what I had sold (250+ at this point) and needed.

We have to use the computer preference system at time of allocation like every other car we sell. We enter in the model, color(s) and packages we would like sent, and then it's a roll of the dice.

There are circumstances that are out of the ordinary, like problem cars needing to be replaced or in one instance with me, a Pioneer whose car came in the wrong color due to a personnel change at region and an error made in color assigned, but they stepped in and fixed that for me about 2 weeks later. They allow the preferencing and earning system to do what it's supposed to do, for all. That levels the playing field. I have just as much of a chance of getting what I need in spots 1, 2, 3, 4 etc as the next guy.

Di