1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership Service vs Third Parties (jiffy lube etc)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by witbier, Dec 4, 2010.

?
  1. Go with the stealership! They have plenty experience with the recalls and all.

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  2. Jiffy Lube! Just be wary when they try to sell you on replacing the faulty intercooler :p

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. witbier

witbier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So blowing my rear driver tire (complete separation of tread from sidewalls) in the sepulveda pass on a curve going downhill at night was a scary experience. It also made me realize that I need to stop abusing my poor Prius. I drive 100+ miles a day, and let's just leave it that my driving style qualifies as "spirited" (I have to fight people's lane changes through no less than 6 interchanges each way). My car just passed the 23k mile mark and I have not gotten a service for a while (I think my last oil change was 12k miles ago). I am seriously due for an oil change and brake pad replacement.

I've realized that for all the nifty hi tech safety checks that the Gen III has, there is the obvious downside that sometimes it is a little overzealous in identifying problems. Case in point, my car got towed soon after I purchased it. The towing company didn't do anything wrong persay (or than break into my car and force it into neutral) and there was no physical damage. However, since it was towed on a non-flatbed, my Prius was quite curious as to why it's front tires were spinning and the back were locked for 10 miles. I had to take it to Toyota of Hollywood and they charged me $180 (!) to just reset the error code that was popping up. As such, I am very hesitant to even consider taking it to a non Toyota shop for service since I may have another bugging out episode.

So fellow Prius chatters, what is the call? Should I take my car in the for 25k service at the nearest friendly Toyota stealership or should I risk taking it to a cheaper but potentially costlier in the long run 3rd party?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1) [​IMG] There are a host of friendly, knowledgeable people on this site! Unfortunately I seem to be the one up at 3 AM.

1) Neither choice is one I would willingly choose. I would go to a dealership that was reasonably priced and knowledgeable. In my case that is a 35 mile drive. You may have 45 dealers within 50 miles of your home or work.

2) It is amazing to me that you let the tow truck driver do everything wrong. The front wheels are the drive wheels, your Prius was generating electricity for 10 miles without computer control. Next time stress 'flat bed tow truck' on the phone.

3) I have no idea how you could drive so that you needed brake pads in 25k miles. Barring panic stops, the Prius does not use the brake pads above 7 MPH, it does regenerative braking. I would have any brake work done at a dealership, due to regen, the brake fluid is a bear to bleed without Toyota tools.

Best of luck in your commute, all my driving time in LA was in a Ford Excursion rental with 7 teenagers (screaming). I may not have a balanced view of LA driving.

1 person likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The correct answer for me would be "C"---change my own oil.

However (comma) I don't live in the city of angels, where it might not even be legal to do your own oil changes without an environmental impact study, permits, and a haz-mat team standing by on the premises.

Soooo....

Since you drive 100 miles a day, I'd take it to the dealer. Yeah, they might stick it to you (a little), but even in LA there's a good chance that "Joey's Dang Good Oil Change Emporium" won't have the correct oil to put into your car (whether they admit it, or they just put in 10W30, cause that's what they have in the drum), and there's a medium-high chance that they'll pooch the o-ring replacement in the &^$#!! canister oil filter, leaving you with a mess to deal with (at best) or an oil-starved ICE.
    And......there's a fair chance that Joey will charge you more for the Prius, cause it's "special."
    Not worth it IMHO.
    I won't let "3 Guys and a Hammer" change the oil in my truck, and would never even consider letting them touch a Prius.

As for the brakes, there is NO way you should need new brake pads on a Prius with 23,000 miles on the clock, unless you spend most of your time at the Ventura Raceway. I'd have them look at the brakes for sure, but you shouldn't need new pads unless you're getting like, 23-MPG---in which case the "Change Owner" light is probably illuminated and you need to get yourself a Mustang or Camaro.
    Just sayin... :D

EDIT: BTW.....Welcome Aboard!

4. witbier

witbier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the response. That was quite the articulate and well intentioned response for people whom I stereotype are chomping down on oil soaked crustaceans.

Okay so maybe I can't make a witty comeback as LA's stereotypes much more commonly known than those of the 'gulf coast'.

While I do typify the aggressive LA commuter daily dodging rubberneckers slowing down the entire interstate just to gawk at someone changing their tire and the occasional road rage drive by, my fears of brake trouble were probably greatly exaggerated. The techs said that I had about 8mm left on my brake pads.

In my old car, when I heard a squeeking noise from my brakes, it meant that my brembos had spewn out way too brake dust and that I needed coax out more than a measly 8 mpg from my gashog boxer engine.

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhh... doesn't the manual specifically say do NOT tow with the front wheels on the ground?

I suggest that you actually EXAMINE your brakepads and SEE if they need changing (see how many mm of pad are left). Seriously though, they probably look brand new.

6. witbier

witbier Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is correct my friend. Let me CLARIFY, my car was illegally parked so the touring company obviously moved my car without my consent. Since there was mo mechanical damage, I decided to just shell out for the dealer to res et the code. with the impound fee and dealership charges, my $ 500 learning experience has taught me to never underestimate the suspicious and zealous security guard at my girlfriends apartment.

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL

OH....we have our little stereotypes here as well....:D
    Family trees with no branches....
    Outhouses...
    Dirt roads....
    (Thanks BTW for not plowing those fertile fields....)

I'm glad your maintenance gig worked out. My Harley has Brembos. They're GREAT brakes...but nooooosy as heck.

Be safe out there!