1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dear Consumer Reports

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Mar 2, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    While comparing your top rated car against the Prius, I was surprised to discover that your Prius safety specifications report:
    "Daylight running lights - not available"
    (see attached PDFs)
    This may have impacted both the Prius "base" score of 68 as well as the Prius "Touring" score of 80. I've attached copies of printed output from your web site for both vehicles. Yet I too was surprised to find the Toyota Web site does not list "Daylight running lights" under the Prius specifications.

I like every other Prius owner, have frequently seen our daylight running lights in operation. I would suggest one of your evaluators go to the Prius, start it up, and while it is in park, go to the front of the car and observe the headlights. I suspect the 2004-2009 Prius owner's manual includes some reference to this feature. Did anyone look? Did no one notice that every Prius on the road in the daylight has their head lights on?

I look forward to seeing a correction and new scores for the existing Prius as well as avoiding a similar problem with the new 2010 Prius. We are also sending a copy of this note to Toyota America with a suggestion that their web page specifications add the "daylight running lights" as standard equiment.

Thank you,
    Robert J. Wilson

Attached Files:

2. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Bob,

My 2006 does not have the sensor installed, nor does it have the auto-daylight running light feature. The Canadian cars do, as its a legal requriement there.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Bob,

US 2G do not have DRL.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea Bob, unless you've just been hanging out in Canada the rest of NA doesn't have DRLs...hope you haven't sent that letter yet.

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well, I stand corrected. I did a quick pass through Google images only to discover the Canadian photos show the headlights on but the USA photos don't.

I'm surprised because my NHW11 has daylight running lights. I am surprised and disappointed. Now I wonder if the 2010 has them only to discover I can't find them.

Have daylight running lights gone passe as a safety feature?

No, I hadn't sent the letter, I typically do a draft, but now I'm seeing a different set of questions:

• Are daylight running lights an effective safety feature?

Bob Wilson

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For a while there I thought I was on drugs or ....

7. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Who wants daytime running lights? Do you leave your outdoor lights on at home during daylight? Daytime running lights are energy hogs that use up battery power with an end result of added fuel consumption.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like DRLs. I think it's easier to see cars with DRLs.

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well I was able to find an NHTSA report (see attached):

• DRLs reduced opposite direction daytime fatal crashes by 5 percent.
    • DRLs reduced opposite direction/angle daytime non-fatal crashes by 5 percent.
    • DRLs reduced non-motorists, pedestrians and cyclists, daytime fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 12 percent.
    • DRLs reduced daytime opposite direction fatal crashes of a passenger vehicle with a motorcycle by 23 percent.
    Well this explains why it has been treated as of marginal value. Having been a motorcycle and bicycle rider, I'm a great believer in having lights. So I'm surprised that they are not more effective.

Bob Wilson

Attached Files:

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My house is extremely unlikely to suffer a collision caused by a driver failing to see it due to adverse lighting conditions.

My car's risk of such events is orders of magnitude higher.

Energy hog? That is why we need LEDs.

11. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Bob ,
    Not sure where you found those stats, but I'd be interested to know how the stats are for Europe. I think the scandinavian countries were one of the first to require daytime lights (everyone know those scandinavians usually do things for a good reason ;) ). Of course, the roads are very different over there... they are narrow, twisty and windy farm paths that have been paved and turned into roads, with ancient oak trees near the roadways and drivers often encounter each other in blind swings as they navigate the roads that often aren't even painted with lines. That's not to say that they don't have long straight stretches of highways, but they often have grey weather as compared to some local climates here that enjoy long stretches of clear sunshine.

In any event, is the automatic/off feature of the Prius not considered DRL? I mean, I leave my lights on, but when I exit the vehicle, they turn on. Then when I fire up the vehicle again, the lights are automatically on. Does this not count as a DRL?

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 2010 Prius Product Information datasheet does not list DRL as a feature, so I hope it is OK to tell you that the 2010 vehicles that I saw yesterday do not have DRL.

No. DRL is not the same as the auto off feature. DRL implies that only the headlights (high beams at a reduced intensity for example) or the front turn lights (some GM vehicles are examples) are on. The auto feature implies that all exterior lights are on except high beams.

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well it looks like insurance company discounts are not universal. However, the Insurance institute reports:

So I'm of mixed opinion. It looks to reduce the accident risk but if this does not translate to a lower premium, I tend to lose interest.

Bob Wilson

14. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know that California law is lights must be on if the windshield wipers are working, thats a new law I believe that most people have no clue about.

Also, when I am driving my work truck (F350 Ambulance) headlights MUST be on at all times regardless of time of day or brightness. Has to have some sort of safety link. Heck, even Pizza Hut has a sign in their store stating "Lights on For Safety" for its drivers.

I guess if you wanted DRL's on the Prius, you could leave them on and allow them to just go on and off as you start/stop the vehicle.

15. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Unfortunatly DRL's are needed because a lot of people are idiots and don't know to turn their headlights on when it's foggy, rainy or other condintions causing bad visibility.

16. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You're talking about central New York, right? :rolleyes:

That's what I do, and I believe it is considered a little bit less effective than "real" DRLs. I have altered my decorative fog lamps to assist with DRLing too.

17. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    DRLs use less power than a crash repair shop.

18. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of the 2010's did have DRL in the facia, others treated them as turn signal indicators.

The 1G had DRL as an *option* in the US (which I paid for).

19. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I Agree!! Also in bad weather rain etc.

20. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the Law in New York is the same... Lights on when wipers are on.