1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Death of an American City

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by heliotropehead, Dec 18, 2005.

1. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

NY Times Editorial

Death of an American City
    Published: December 11, 2005

We are about to lose New Orleans. Whether it is a conscious plan to let the city rot until no one is willing to move back or honest paralysis over difficult questions, the moment is upon us when a major American city will die, leaving nothing but a few shells for tourists to visit like a museum.

We said this wouldn't happen. President Bush said it wouldn't happen. He stood in Jackson Square and said, "There is no way to imagine America without New Orleans." But it has been over three months since Hurricane Katrina struck and the city is in complete shambles.

There are many unanswered questions that will take years to work out, but one is make-or-break and needs to be dealt with immediately. It all boils down to the levee system. People will clear garbage, live in tents, work their fingers to the bone to reclaim homes and lives, but not if they don't believe they will be protected by more than patches to the same old system that failed during the deadly storm. Homeowners, businesses and insurance companies all need a commitment before they will stake their futures on the city.

At this moment the reconstruction is a rudderless ship. There is no effective leadership that we can identify. How many people could even name the president's liaison for the reconstruction effort, Donald Powell? Lawmakers need to understand that for New Orleans the words "pending in Congress" are a death warrant requiring no signature.

The rumbling from Washington that the proposed cost of better levees is too much has grown louder. Pretending we are going to do the necessary work eventually, while stalling until the next hurricane season is upon us, is dishonest and cowardly. Unless some clear, quick commitments are made, the displaced will have no choice but to sink roots in the alien communities where they landed.

The price tag for protection against a Category 5 hurricane, which would involve not just stronger and higher levees but also new drainage canals and environmental restoration, would very likely run to well over $32 billion. That is a lot of money. But that starting point represents just 1.2 percent of this year's estimated $2.6 trillion in federal spending, which actually overstates the case, since the cost would be spread over many years. And it is barely one-third the cost of the $95 billion in tax cuts passed just last week by the House of Representatives.

Total allocations for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the war on terror have topped $300 billion. All that money has been appropriated as the cost of protecting the nation from terrorist attacks. But what was the worst possible case we fought to prevent?

Losing a major American city.

"We'll not just rebuild, we'll build higher and better," President Bush said that night in September. Our feeling, strongly, is that he was right and should keep to his word. We in New York remember well what it was like for the country to rally around our city in a desperate hour. New York survived and has flourished. New Orleans can too.

Of course, New Orleans's local and state officials must do their part as well, and demonstrate the political and practical will to rebuild the city efficiently and responsibly. They must, as quickly as possible, produce a comprehensive plan for putting New Orleans back together. Which schools will be rebuilt and which will be absorbed? Which neighborhoods will be shored up? Where will the roads go? What about electricity and water lines? So far, local and state officials have been derelict at producing anything that comes close to a coherent plan. That is unacceptable.

The city must rise to the occasion. But it will not have that opportunity without the levees, and only the office of the president is strong enough to goad Congress to take swift action. Only his voice is loud enough to call people home and convince them that commitments will be met.

Maybe America does not want to rebuild New Orleans. Maybe we have decided that the deficits are too large and the money too scarce, and that it is better just to look the other way until the city withers and disappears. If that is truly the case, then it is incumbent on President Bush and Congress to admit it, and organize a real plan to help the dislocated residents resettle into new homes. The communities that opened their hearts to the Katrina refugees need to know that their short-term act of charity has turned into a permanent commitment.

If the rest of the nation has decided it is too expensive to give the people of New Orleans a chance at renewal, we have to tell them so. We must tell them we spent our rainy-day fund on a costly stalemate in Iraq, that we gave it away in tax cuts for wealthy families and shareholders. We must tell them America is too broke and too weak to rebuild one of its great cities.

Our nation would then look like a feeble giant indeed. But whether we admit it or not, this is our choice to make. We decide whether New Orleans lives or dies.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sad situation... however, a rebuild will not happen. bush isnt the type of person to rebuild a home where most of its residents were lower middle income or poorer...

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    what a shame. all that culture, all that history, and our government won't step up and protect the city or its inhabitants.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just keep thinking that $32B just isn't that much money in the grand scheme of things. And what will be the future cost if they don't spend the $32B? Way higher I'd think.

I have a medical convention in New Orleans that I'm going to, hell or high water. The city, IMO, will rebuild, but whether it'll happen over years or decades is yet to be determined.

5. heliotropehead

Actually, the housing projects are already being rebuilt. Seems they were #1 on the list of priorities.
    The middle+ classes are either living in tents & trailers, in the process of repairs or rich enough to be in new homes. Whatever the case may be, everyone is still in danger.

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Appalling. Sickening. As always, Bush says one thing for the cameras and does another. (Notice what's happening on the Mexican border problem? He promised a tightened-security border and a guest worker program. Now the guest worker part has, apparently, already been dropped.)

The new hurricane season starts in about 9 months.

I won't be a hypocrite. I don't think it's worth rebuilding the Ninth Ward as a residential area. Maybe mostly "light industry" and a greenbelt buffer. And the levee must be replaced, regardless. Whatever new housing is built should be scattered in other, higher areas.

But...whatever. DECIDE something. TELL people. Then Do it.

7. QED

QED New Member

Unfortunately, the rebuilding of the levee system will never be done right. We don't have that kind of committment. Look at The Netherlands; that's committment!

There is another unfortunate and unavoidable truth. When you build on a flood plain; you will, eventually, suffer a flood! Somehow, we keep forgeting that!

US Corp of Engineers vs. Mother Nature. Bet on Mother Nature.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well it's nice to see people so critical about the rebuilding efforts. What I want to know is haven't you stopped to think about how long it actually takes to build stuff? Our house took around 8 months to build, and it's just one house. Things don't pop up overnight.

Yes, the levees need to be fixed. Badly. But answer this, how long does it take to rebuild a levee system like the one in New Orleans? Well, according to the experts, it'll take years at best. And that's the estimate without worrying about funding. It takes time people. Yes, the next hurricane season is only nine months away. It is physically impossible to have the levees rebuilt by then. Simply impossible. It's going to take time.

Here in Florida, there are still some places where you can see hurricane damage. I'm not talking about the storms of 2005 either, but 2004. Charlie, Ivan, and gang. It takes time.

Yes, Bush is an nice person. He doesn't care about the poor of New Orleans, or the poor of any city, or the poor of Mexico even. Think what you will. DId you expect the President to go down there and rebuild New Orleans on his own? Get real. They could dump money into New ORleans coffers and nothing would be different. For one, there simply aren't enough people to build. The supply of construction labor is limited.

Wake up people. Rebuilding from a disaster takes time. A long time.

9. heliotropehead

I don't think it's an issue of how long it's taking to rebuild New Orleans, but rather the lack of commitment to rebuild New Orleans. The levee systems are being patched and will eventually be only as strong as they were before... even after all the empty promises to rebuild them to withstand a Cat 5 hurricane. All it takes is a trip to NOLA to realize just how much work is needed to rebuild the city... and that it will take years to reach even of semblance of what it was. How can we not be critical about the efforts to rebuild? These are hard working citizens who are fighting to rebuild their homes and lives without the help of anyone.

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It'll be done about the time that the Gulf swallows New Orleans. The wetlands have been steadily disappearing because of the massive engineering effort to control the Mississippi River. That has had a very negative impact on the delta. Don't expect it to go away though. Keeping the Mississippi navigable is of Prime importance to many cities upstream.

11. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

No matter how strong and high they rebuild the levees, I don't think anyone will ever be able to afford home/buisness insurance. The insurance companies are already getting sued to cover the last 2 hurricanes. When and if they insure another home in Louisiana, you can bet the premiums will be tripple or more what they should be, with a rider stating they will not cover rain/flood damage. You will have to be well off financially to even build there, but even more to insure, then you still risk looseing everything again. No win deal, sad to say. :(

12. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Flood insurance rates are governmentally controlled. They'll be the highest amount, but most places in New Orleans are already.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

A) The PEOPLE NEEDED to hear "We will rebuild" BUT, the President is not in control of that. CONGRESS authorizes spending....get educated.

B) WHY does the gov't have to rebuild ALONE.....The city, the state, and the CITIZENS need to do their part....ALL I hear is "Why doesn't the Fed gov't do EVERYTHING".

C) Maybe it IS a bad idea to rebuild N.O. the way it was....is that too evil a thought to consider?

D) It would be pathetic to rebuild the city only to find that the occupants have put down new roots somewhere else....then what?

This occurence was UNPRECEDENTED and using "old" ideas is wrong....we need some thinking outside the box. My first thought...a PLANNED city, not just put it back the way it was.

Why not build the new N.O. somewhere where the levees are not needed....

Stop the BUSH bashing...it is doing NO ONE any good.

14. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Hallelujah., Smika is the only one in this thread to catch on. The people and the politicians of Louisiana, (the pols are notoriously crooked) are going to have to do their part. We live just next door, don't think a feel good quick fix is going to do it. It is estimated that it would take 30 YEARS., folks to rebuild the leevies to stand up to CAT 5's., and that is IF the pols do their HONEST part and apportion part of the land needed to get to that point to begin with. Ms Blanco, her family has had vested interests in land in the NO area and stopped a lot of land acquisition needed by the Army Corp to complete a CAT 3 system, and the leevy itself let go in its best newest and strongest points. The real problem in Louisiana is LOUSIANA., remember they already tried to get 250 Billion from Congress..now down to 32 Billion ?? Should this country just flush that money down there and not fix the disease ? What about Alabama, Mississippi and Texas and Rita..think nothing happened there?? This big city major (New Orleans) knowing he had about 950,000 low income citizens, and that over 400,000 would REQUIRE evacuation had just one plan...The SuperDome (capacity about 35,000). He knew this and did nothing BEFORE (way before not at the last minute, after blaming Bush on TV). So have at it with the FEDS..but hit the State, that is where the problem really lies.

15. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Any city planners out in Prius Chat land?

--Have any large cities been allowed to "die" or severely retract its borders, services, and population, in modern times?

--What are the necessary ingredients to rebuild a large city like New Orleans? Can everthing be lined up so there's a possibility of rebuilding?

--Is there a point at which a population should just give up and "walk away" from a site?

16. heliotropehead

B) WHY does the gov't have to rebuild ALONE.....The city, the state, and the CITIZENS need to do their part....ALL I hear is "Why doesn't the Fed gov't do EVERYTHING".

All you hear? Stop watching CNN & FOX NEWS if you want to hear more.

C) Maybe it IS a bad idea to rebuild N.O. the way it was....is that too evil a thought to consider?

You think? The problem is, it's cheaper to rebuild NOLA the way it was.

D) It would be pathetic to rebuild the city only to find that the occupants have put down new roots somewhere else....then what?

From what I've seen a good number of its occupants are already back.

This occurence was UNPRECEDENTED and using "old" ideas is wrong....we need some thinking outside the box. My first thought...a PLANNED city, not just put it back the way it was.

Agreed.

Any suggestions? Ohio, maybe?

Bush is a screwup, but so are Blanco and Nagin. I agree, however, that the bashing is futile.

17. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

Rebuild the parts that make sense and/or have historic value.
    Condemn and restore the rest to its natural role of wetlands.
    Most planners I've read agree that N.O. is located in about the stupidest place to build a city.

N.O. folks have been dispersed by the hurricane and many have started new lives in new locations.
    The government should be encouraging them to resettle.
    Our obligation to the people of N.O. is to get them back on their feet, not to restore their wealth, property, or favored living arrangements.

I don't think it would be fair to deny him what he has so clearly earned. <_<

18. Schmika

Schmika New Member

Agree w/ all but last sentence. Surprised...NOT!!! :lol:

19. Schmika

Schmika New Member

WHY does the gov't have to rebuild ALONE.....The city, the state, and the CITIZENS need to do their part....ALL I hear is "Why doesn't the Fed gov't do EVERYTHING".

All you hear? Stop watching CNN & FOX NEWS if you want to hear more. Actually, I am getting my infor from PC...I rarely watch any news.

You think? The problem is, it's cheaper to rebuild NOLA the way it was. Says WHO!!!!!

From what I've seen a good number of its occupants are already back. A good number...how many out of the hundreds of thousands. You are dreaming here.

Agreed. Thank you for that much!

Any suggestions? Ohio, maybe? :lol: :lol: I own 13 acres I would sell (for a reasonable profit :lol: )

Bush is a screwup, but so are Blanco and Nagin. I agree, however, that the bashing is futile. Admit it, in your mind he would be a screwup if he did everything right.

Thanks for weighing in though. Opinions are like a**holes....we all have them and they all stink! :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. heliotropehead

I won't quote your quoted quote for fear it might become confusing and annoying. However, and since I can't deliver a real swift kick, I would like to say one thing:

:angry: