1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Death rattle

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ethan Guzman, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Ethan Guzman

Ethan Guzman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi I posted a while back about a death rattle issue on my 2012 prius v with 180k miles, I have replaced spark plugs, coil packs, egr valve, have cleaned the air intake manifold, replaced the injector on the cylinder that threw a code back then, also had a pressure test done that seemed like the headgasket was fine . Got a code P0401 and P0607 recently but they cleared themselves, not sure what else to do at this point

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What do you mean by “death rattle”? The engine’s shaking? All the time, or just at start up with cold engine? Is engine coolant level stable in the reservoir?

You say you replaced the EGR valve? Yourself, or a shop? Any specific reason for replacement? The EGR valve/cooler combo was pulled in this process? Was the cooler cleaned?

What’s the miles now, and current symptoms?

Tim Jones likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "seemed like?"
    Any coolant level issues in the past?
    I'd pull the plugs and examine them.
    Then bore-scope the cylinders and do a leak-down test.
    If you cannot do this yourself with a few basic hand tools and $75 worth of stuff, swap technicians and have those two tests done again.

It think the death-rattle is exactly THAT.
    You did the angioplasty but the patient still has some cardio issues resulting from the plugged EGR before that treatment.
    There might be some technician incompetency or greed involved as well.

Independent or Dealer?

Tim Jones likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Typical of hg

Diagnostic of hg and eliminates plugs, coils and injectors.

Death rattle on a high mile Prius is 98% head gasket. Most mechanics are not familiar with diagnosing a hg on these. Pressure tests like leakdown and compression are useless. No coolant in oil. No combustion gas in coolant. Still a head gasket.

Wishing and hoping won't make it go away.

Tim Jones likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2023-4-29_8-11-19.png

@Ethan Guzman The above quote was from your previous thread, same title. Starting a new thread only breaks up the narrative. If you contact the moderator and ask, I think he could close this and tack everything here onto the previous thread. Use this button:

upload_2023-4-29_8-15-34.png

Tim Jones likes this.
  6. Greg P

Greg P New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Hope I am posting appropriately. I also had the death rattle on my 2013 Prius V wagon (160,000 miles). Had the oil changed at a quickie lube place, one week later, the death rattle! Not assuming the lube place did anything to my car but may be relevant. Death rattle only happened when excelerating after a stop for about 5 seconds, then stopped. Brought to a well respected, legitimate shop, they told me I need a new engine. Check engine light was not on prior to bringing to shop, it was on after I picked up the car. The cost of a new engine is not worth it (especially since I just dropped $3700 on a new catalytic converter 2 months ago) so figured, i'd drive the car till it stopped working. Have been driving for about 250 miles. Still driving and death rattle is gone! However, coolant is now leaking! Had to pull over the other day due to tons of steam. Filled coolant yesterday and check engine light is now off. Wondering if I actually need a new engine or maybe just need some other kind of repair.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You need a new engine. Around here and in many places it might be purchased and installed for perhaps $4,500. Replacing the head gasket is high risk for repeat failure on an overheated and driven engine.

A lot depends on the condition of the car and the status of other high dollar items like the hybrid battery and the brake booster. If those two were replaced recently or you would like another three to five years without high interest car payments and the car is otherwise clean and functional, buying and installing a rebuilt engine is the way to go. A rebuilt engine also updates the pistons and rings, a Toyota acknowledged design flaw.

8. Greg P

Greg P New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the advice and info! The cheapest I can find around here is a used engine (50k) miles. Total with install would be 8k.

9. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    your screwed.............$3700 for a cat....... u got ripped of bad.........