1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Debating getting rid of my Gen3 for a Rav4 Prime

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tha_Ape, May 1, 2021.

1. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have no idea what the trade in value is for this car or if its better to sell 3rd party. Its a 2010 Gen3 with Advanced Tech Package and 116k miles.

The thing is, it has 0 issues... only considering trading it in for a Rav4 Prime because I already have a 2017 Prius Prime. We bought the Prius Prime a couple years ago with the intent of replacing the 2010 Prius with a "fun" car lster. The 2010 isnt giving us any trouble which is why this is a debate.

Probably the most "boring" car I've owned with respect to maintenance. It turns out the 2010 has WAY more cargo space than the 2017 Prime. At the time of buying the Prime, it wasnt really noticeable, but after having both cars for a few years, I've found I cant live without that capacity.

Here's the issue, I know this car is rare, but I cant properly price it. It's got lane keep assist, dynamic cruise control, assisted parking, automatic braking, pre-tensioning of the seatbelts if a collision is imminent... stuff that was really ahead of its time. I'd imagine if you had the brains to do it, it wouldnt be overly complicated to make it self-driving. I could always throw it up on ebay and see what it fetches, but if anyone here has bought one recently, I'd be curious to see how much they're worth. I'm guessing the dealer wont give me squat!

I cant find ANY for sale. Its hard enough trying to find a 2010/2011 Prius V(Five) let alone one with the Advanced Tech Package.

I'm not looking to sell the car here... I'm just looking for input...

bisco likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hang onto it.

don’t take me too seriously, you have more vehicles, different priorities, but yeah: just my vote.

do keep on top of the “issues” , and it’ll make it to 200k.

Tha_Ape likes this.
  3. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  4. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well... just got back from the dealership... not getting rid of it anytime soon. The dealer has a +$11,000 "market adjustment" on the Rav4 Primes. Thats insane. Sooner get a Model Y if we're getting up to that level of cost.

NO THANKS!

-------------------------

Also, I do stay on top of all maintenance on my cars. Did all the 100-120k stuff a year or so ago (all fluids: brake, oil, transmission, engine and inverter coolants plus replaced the PCV, cleaned EGR, changed sparkplugs, air filter, and cleaned the hybrid battery fan... wasnt really dirty though) . Only thing to do for a while are oil changes. Thats one great thing about the Prius... nothing ever breaks.

#4 Tha_Ape, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Mendel Leisk and Georgina Rudkus like this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You may have a difficult time finding a Rav4 Prime. They are the hottest thing Toyota sells. The reviewer above is a known complainer that heavily modifies his cars then wonders why he has problems. The Rav4 Prime is a first gen but I would buy one in a minute if it were at a local dealer.

Carvana is reported to be buying up used cars at a premium price. Get a quote there. I don't think advanced tech will add much value. The 2010 is liable to be a money pit with higher miles.

6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    People buy on IMAGE, not substance.

That's why many are willing to be "indentured slaves," for seven years, even when they have a perfectly good reliable vehicle which they indentured their future earnings just 2-3 years, ago.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think the Rav4 Prime with >42 miles ev range and close to 600 miles overall range that is quiet, smooth, powerful and is still a Toyota has substance. 300 hp in a Toyota hybrid.

#7 rjparker, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    mikey_t likes this.
  8. KeinoDoggy

KeinoDoggy Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try Carvana to just see what they would give you. Dealers want to give me $6750 for my 2012 Prius with 90k miles. Carvana is offering to buy it out right for $9250. Used car market right now is crazy. I was going to sale it and buy a 21 Prius Prime but the rear trunk area is tiny as you stated. I also realized my 2012 has been a great car with no major problems, cheap to drive as it is paid off, and still can average 50+ mpg here in our Ohio summers.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when will the ford escape plug in be available?

10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The cold dispassionate math says their $11k premium charge is likely to hit zero sooner than the residual value of your car. The only way you lose is if you incur extra costs keeping yours running long enough to see the premium vanish. That could be two years but I think one is more likely.

Your odds are pretty good for pulling it off.

tvpierce likes this.
  11. Tha_Ape

Tha_Ape Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would totally get one, but dont want to pay $11k over MSRP.

I already have a Prius Prime and have had it for a few years. I get ~2500mi/tank (and thats with only 25mi range). I think with the 42mi range on the Rav4, that car would go to the gas station even less! Its just upsetting that they didnt make enough of them, and want to charge so much for it. Dang supply and demand!!

Actually pushed me into looking at Tesla Model Y's at that price. But I'm gonna ride out this 2010 as long as I can. Its a great car, might get a used Rav4 Prime in a year or 2.