1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DEC 21, 2012

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by fairclge, Oct 25, 2007.

1. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What are you doing on DEC 21, 2012, the end of the mayan calendar? :unsure:

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The same thing I do every night. . .

Trying to take over the world.

3. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If they find planet X around 2010 standby..

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Mayans had a more accurate calendar than Europeans of the same period. So their end of the world predictions are probably twice as likely to be correct. Zero times two equals zero. I guess I'm not worried.

5. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 25 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]530319[/snapback]</div>
    Well I tend to agree also, but how did they make a calendar that lasts over 5,000 years and predict when the solar systems passes though the center access of the milkway galaxy within a matter of years.
    A forecasted date that is more that 5K years in the making, you got to think that’s special if nothing else.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, the Mayan calendar system is pretty interesting. Unlike what many people think, it's actually a system of calendars used to measure different periods of time and astrological events. The winter solstice in 2012 marks a very rare astrological event - the sun rises to conjoin the milky way and the plane of the ecliptic. Essentially, this means that the sun will be at the exact location where the line of stars that forms the milky way intersects the gradual drift of the stars from east to west.

The Mayans used this point as a marker for their calendar system, and actually calculated the start of their calendar based on this point - so it's no accident that it "ends" on this date.

However, the Mayan calendar doesn't actually end. It starts over in a new great age - we're actually moving from the age of Pisces to the age of Aquarius. It's like turning over 100,000 miles on the odometer. The car doesn't break down (especially if it's a Prius), but all of the calendar cycles do start over again in their rotations.

So all of this end of the world talk is really just that - talk. nothing cataclysmic is going to happen on Dec 21, 2012. The car will keep on driving just as well as it has been.

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fairclge @ Oct 25 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]530240[/snapback]</div>
    http://www.pbs.org/kpbs/theborder/history/timeline/1.html

That prediction was about 500 years too late for the mayans.

Question, if you are mexican, do you technically have native american blood? Mexico is part of the north american continent isn't it?

Just a question for a friend's daughter who's filling out her college app.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I, for one, will stock up on Single Malt Scotch, prop my feet up in front of the fire and contemplate my life. I'll deal with the hang-over the next day!

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Oct 25 2007, 12:50 PM) [snapback]530344[/snapback]</div>
    I'm no expert, but i would think the answer to that is no. They define native american as belonging to one of the recognized native american tribes. Now, if she was part Mayan, Inca, etc... there's a shot. But Mexican is just like every other nationality - it's like saying that Canadians should get to check the native American box on their applications.

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Above 4000 meters, on skis, Sierra Nevada, in cold snowy, great skiing conditions.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Oct 25 2007, 02:12 PM) [snapback]530349[/snapback]</div>
    Have a double, just in case the OP is right and everything ends. That way you get to skip the hang-over. :D

Tom

12. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Perhaps I'll still be celebrating my 70th birthday the previous week! :D

13. RinMI

RinMI New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Oct 25 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]530243[/snapback]</div>

Oh my god, I almost pissed myself when I read your post Tony. Nice to see an Animaniacs reference. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 25 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]530343[/snapback]</div>

Age of Aquarius? No, I refuse to re-live the 70's!!

14. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm sure what I'll be doing that night. Hopefully it'll involve chocolate, tea and sex. Not necessarily in that order. Or maybe all at the same time.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moxiequz @ Oct 25 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]530426[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with ya on the sex and chocolate....but tea? Not even in my top 25 I don't think.

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    bidding the mayans farewell...after all, if they knew what they were talking about, they would probably still be here...

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 25 2007, 10:49 AM) [snapback]530343[/snapback]</div>
    Pisces and Aquarius are constellations in the European cultural/mythical tradition. They have nothing to do with the Mayans, who had their own constellations.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Oct 25 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]530344[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, the Mayan civilization fell long before Cortez arrived. An interesting point is that while the Spaniards destroyed the Aztec civilization and culture, the Maya by then had no unifying civilization, and existed as isolated communities. There are places so remote that the Spaniards never got there, and Mayan culture, languages, and ways of life continue to this day.

Your question about blood is a ridiculous one:

"Mexican" is a nationality: You are a Mexican if you are a citizen of the modern nation of Mexico.

The vast majority of Mexicans are mixed-blood, as the Mestizo race was born when Spaniards and Native Mesoamericans interbred. The term "Native American" is commonly used in the U.S., but in Mexico the more common term is indio (Indian). Given that the native peoples of Mexico and the U.S. are the same race, then the great majority of Mexicans have both Indian and European blood. But there are a few (very few) pure-blooded Mexican Indians, and a few (also very few) pure-blooded Mexican Europeans.

So to answer your question: Being Mexican does not mean you necessarily have Native American (Indian) blood, but the chances are good that you do, unless your family emigrated to Mexico fairly recently and you have no ancestors who go farther back in Mexico.

Incidentally, the cultural norm is for Mexicans to express pride in the Indian part of their ancestry, while treating their own present-day Indians nearly as badly as we in the U.S. treat ours.

18. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Enjoying the ride in my '11 plug-in that I got for a song from a "believer" who decided to cash in before the end.

PA P

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    no worries... Aztec calendars are having half off sale

20. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Celebrating Yule, I'm sure :D

Personally, I do think that the Mayans had a clue about the great cycles that the universe, earth, and civilizations go though. Whether the cycle that ends, and the cycle that begins, is an easy, happy, upgrade transistion, or a bumpy ride, I'm looking forward to the show!