1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decal Application tips

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Canuck, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I received the order for the Prius decals today and have carefully read through the instructions for application that Paul Demmitt included. Call me chicken but I'm a little hesitant to "attack" the two rear side decals for fear of screwing up the job. In spite of the instructions seeming to be reasonably straight forward I wonder if anyone would have any additional tips for me which might ease my concern. ( other than suggesting I have a professional do the job. :D ). I do not have access to a lift.
    Thanks in advance.
    Gary :unsure:

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tape the decal with masking tape in the location you want. Make a stick solution with 1/3rd alcohol and water in a spray bottle. This will help moving the decal around with out it sticking to anything yet. You could also make a slip solution with a little soap and water but I dont like to use that for small decals. Lift up the decal and spray the area with the solution. Remove the backing from the decal and spray the decal. Make things perfect and squeegee the whole thing. Dont worry about small water bubbles because they will disappear in a few weeks. Hope this helps. I had to write this one up quick. <_<

3. tmsusa

tmsusa New Member

Corporate Communications for Toyota Motor Sales US
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Jun 12 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]270047[/snapback]</div>
    Although these are clearly after-market products, I was curious myself to see what it did to the overall look of the Prius. My suggestions:
    • You don't need a lift, but it helps to be a bit flexible, particularly in the lower back.
    • Do it in a well-lighted area on a warm day without wind.
    • Peel off the protective backing from the underside and then take your time from here.
    • For the side decals, hold each at the top of each end, using your other fingers to keep the decal from sticking against the car prematurely, before you've had time to line up properly.
    • Eyeball the bottom edge of the decal with the straight bottom edge of the rear door--not the top edge of decal with the sheet metal curved lip line as that actually is not horizontal at that point.
    • Carefully press down with your fingers making sure to smooth out from the center to the outside edges; Then use that little plastic edge thing to more forcefully smooth out the letters and get any small air bubbles out (If you press hard enough, you can work them out to the edge and hear a pop to confirm buble is gone.)
    I can't even seem to wax a car properly, so I was particularly impressed with my ability to get these things on the car and have them looking quite professional!

4. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was doing good with mine, and yes was very scared, I got the rear done, and the passenger side, then I was getting to the driver's side, and my 5 year old nephew fell off his bike right when I was applying the sticker, so now the driver's side is off a little. I have thought about removing it and ordering a new one, but don't know what the cost would be- My advice is to do the wet application, more peace of mind!

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also highly recomend making a stick solution with alcohol because it will give you some time to correct your mistakes. Plus water bubbles are better than air bubbles because over time the water will evaperate leaving a smooth decal where with a dry install you will have air bubbles that stay if you dont prick them out.

6. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Appreciate the rapid replies from all of you. I'm gonna' use the alcohol and water mix method, try it on one of the smaller ones on the rear of the vehicle then the sides.
    Nowhere but on PriusChat can you get such response. :)

Gary

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Jun 12 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]270134[/snapback]</div>
    Just make sure to use plenty of it. Get both the area of the car and the back of the decal dripping wet. Spray spray spray. I always use lots when applying my decals. And another tip when using the wet method. Start your squeegeeing in the center of the decal or the center of the lettering and work your way out. This gives all the water room to get out and away. If you dont start from the center you may trap big water bubbles. Its really easy and dont let small trapped water bubbles give you a hard time. If they are smaller than about 1/4 inch just let them dry out over about a month. any larger and I would use a needle to prick them.