1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decal Danger...What Can be Done?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gfhaas, Aug 15, 2007.

1. gfhaas

gfhaas Junior Member

By now everyone is aware that something is going on between Washington and Sacramento about our hybrids in the HOV lanes, and it appears we could be in danger. Please note: I'm not interested in anyone's opinion about whether the whole HOV- hybrid program is sound or not. Save your name-calling drivel for some other place.

I AM, however, interested in any constructive ideas anyone might have as to what those of who want to retain our privilige might do NOW to help protect what we have. In the end, these decisions are always political, and to that end does anyone have any suggestions about letters, petitions, calls, emails, contributions, links, etc that might help us now before it is too late?

My sticker improves the quality of my life and I'm willing to fight to preserve it. There are wise people who chat here (most of the time) and I'm sure there must be something we can try to do before the axe falls.

2. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gfhaas @ Aug 15 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]495953[/snapback]</div>
    Well, Washington State *cough* decided to never allow hybrids in the HOV lanes. (see: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/HOV/FAQ.htm#hybrid)

Instead, they are phasing in an RFID based HOT lane. (see: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/hov/hotlanes.htm) Any driver/vehicle can pay a toll to ride in the HOT lane. This seems like a much better idea since having hybrids drive in the HOV doesn't solve congestion - just selfishness. ;) Sorry, I had to throw the last comment in.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 15 2007, 12:28 AM) [snapback]495964[/snapback]</div>
    One more time.

HOV lanes weren't created to relieve congestion. They were created to mitigate air pollution. Which the Prius does better than an SUV with four occupants.

No one has a "right" to congestion-free hwy driving. Personally, I'm against the rich and privileged being able to buy their way into the "hot" lane. You don't like the commute? Live close enough to work to walk. That will mitigate the air pollution too.

4. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My many apologies to gfhaas for taking this topic off course a little bit. Perhaps someone who knows more about the CA politics can chime in...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 15 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]495968[/snapback]</div>
    Aren't the two the same? You resolve air quality by reducing congestion... Maybe I'm missing the point. It seems so silly and stupid to give hybrids the right to use the HOV lanes with a SOV.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 15 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]495968[/snapback]</div>
    But that's exactly what the current hybrid ownership has done with the HOV lanes. People are willing to pay for a hybrid car to use in an HOV lane or pay for a plate (Virginia) to use HOV lanes. It's the same thing.

I agree. However, there are too many fat/lazy people that can't/won't.

5. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without being in the thick of it, I'm still being glad the whole
    failed idea is about to be scrapped. Levels the playing field.
    See this thread for more sensible thinking on the matter. Your
    "improved quality of life" comes at the detriment of many others
    and enormous bureaucratic, not to mention enforcement, overhead,
    and it's high time for all that to just go away and people to take
    a little more responsibility for themselves and be a little less
    selfish around others.
    In short, leave earlier next time.
    _H*

6. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    But you are perfectly fine with those of us that are fortunate enough to have the economic means to buy a hybrid being able to buy our way into the HOV lane???

7. Barcelona Red Lass

Barcelona Red Lass Sips gas like fine wine!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have no problem with Prii being in the carpool lane if they are lucky enough to have the sticker. We bought ours in July, but were too late to qualify to get the sticker, and we had already decided that if we did qualify we wouldn't get it. Firstly we don't want any kind of any sticker on the car (goes for all cars we've owned) and secondly because the only time we'd usually drive the freeway we're together anyway, so we can get into the carpool lane based on vehicle occupancy.

Frankly, I think all of us Prii owners should get to park free at meters and in city lots, drive in the HOV lane even without a sticker and anything else driving related too. We're doing more than the average person to mitigate our Co2 emissions, there should be perks to that.

8. ohershey

ohershey New Member

In the spirit of the OPs request, regardless of my personal opinion of the HOV sticker, there is only one way to influence politics - contact the politicians. You can go to the House of Representatives web site, enter your zip code, and it will tell you who they are. Same with the Senate.

Contact them. You would be surprised how seriously they take constituent feedback. Most people never bother, so they figure that every person who does represents a respectable number who didn't. If you are lucky enough to be in the 8th district, Ms. Pelosi has an unusual ability to influence the house's agenda (I'm in District One :( . Mike Thompson doesn't really care one way or the other - there are very few HOV lanes in his district).

I cannot stress enough how much the vocal minority who bother to express an opinion run politics in this country (unless a big donor has another agenda...). This is the case at all levels of government. Very few of us have bothered to attend a City Council of County Board of Supervisors meeting. I would say that maybe 10% of people you ask even know who their senators are. Fewer still know their representative, state rep, state senator, county supervisor, school board chairman, etc.

Got an issue? Write them (with a pen), e-mail them, and call their office.

<getting off soap box now>

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gfhaas @ Aug 15 2007, 12:03 AM) [snapback]495953[/snapback]</div>
    You're placing far, far too much value on a sticker.

These lanes are to reduce pollution, not allow us to live in McMansions far from the office.

Uh oh...that's "name calling drivel," isn't it?

------

Do what you'd normally do (as detailed directly above). What else is there?

10. edselpdx

edselpdx Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 15 2007, 04:14 PM) [snapback]496467[/snapback]</div>
    Second that opinion. HOV lanes are to reduce pollution and allow those doing the right thing with carpools to get there a bit faster. Given the large number of hybrids in the world now, you don't really have any right to go there. You were lucky to get the time you did out of the CA legislature.

11. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 15 2007, 07:14 PM) [snapback]496467[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Aug 15 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]496506[/snapback]</div>
    humm...
    Please read the CMAQ documentation regarding HOV on the DOT.Gov's website. It defines both CONGESTION and air quality in one.

Giving a SOV Hybrid the privilege to use the HOV lane does not mitigate congestion - one of the purposes of the HOV lanes. While, yes, the Prius is 'cleaner' than an SUV, an SUV filled with seven people is far better in air quality and congestion mitigation, even if it is a SUV. Of course, a five person Prius would Trump that - but then again the issue is about the selfish HOV stickers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(edselpdx @ Aug 15 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]496506[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed. Now, grow up and move on. Want to use the HOV lane? Carpool!

*SOV - Single Occupant Vehicle
    *HOV - High Occupancy Vehicle
    *SUV - Sport Utility Vehicle
    *CMAQ - Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are a finite number of stickers and they are gone. They rewarded people for choosing an environmentally friendly vehicle.

Instead of encouraging the purchase of a Prius or other hybrid for under $30,000, this just supports those that purchase an SUV (costing more than $30,000 and polluting more) and who can afford to pay on top of that. And there is no limit on the SOSUV (single occupancy sports utility vehicle.) That includes Hummers. So that haves can simply pay for the privilege of polluting more and adding to the congestion of the HOV lanes.

Yeah, that sounds like such a better idea.

This is just another example of those that have the money being able to buy what they want.

That middle class American who did the right thing and bought that Prius but can't afford the $5.00 a day round trip toll for HOV access in addition to his car payments is just screwed.

Gee, sounds more like Rudy's healthcare plan more and more.

13. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 15 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]496543[/snapback]</div>
    And alienated Prius owners from the peasants. Other efforts, such as a tax credit, are just as 'rewarding' for choosing an environmentally friendly vehicle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 15 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]496543[/snapback]</div>
    And who said that they would have even chosen a hybrid? They'd be just as likely to not choose a hybrid for some flex-fuel junk or some used car!
    Even if they did purchase a hybrid the HOV lane would just be clogged with SOV Hybrids - so then the once moving carpool lane is stop and go traffic with SOV hybrids. I fail to see how that's better. If people have the money, they will choose what they want based on their personal beliefs and ideals.

And paying for the fuel to use them. Just how are they adding to congestion of the HOV if they are in a carpool?

It beats making hybrid owners look like the teachers pet. I'd much rather take honor in knowing that my choice of a vehicle was not based on using an HOV lane and more of an environmental choice. I like Hobbit's 'level the playing field.'

And why the hell not? This is America. *the theme to 'Team America World Police' comes to mind* It would truly suck to live in a place that wouldn't allow such a thing.

Rudy's an idiot. Most Prius drivers aren't. I'll bet that they can budget such an expense. If not, leave earlier so you don't have to use a HOT lane.