1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decided it was time to get on the waiting list

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bruceha_2000, Jul 27, 2004.

1. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Since Dianne has posted that there are no planned changes to the packages for 2005, I decided to look into gettng on some lists. I sent my request (through the Toyota site) to 4 relatively local dealers this morning. Told them I wanted a #7 Seaside (other colors might be acceptable) VSC, side airbags, SS/SE (most important features in case Toyota DOES muck with the packages) and would not pay over MSRP. Got back my first response. Nothing unexpected, they seem to be following the "honest dealer" rules. I am hoping Toyota does bump the production numbers a bunch because a year is a long time - Even Manny didn't wait that long! Of course he would have if he had stuck it out with his local dealer.

Mr. Alvarez,

Thank you for your email. Our current waiting period for a Prius is
    up to a year. Many (if not all) of the 2005 models we receive will be
    going to customers who placed an order for a 2004 model.

Due to the extremely high demand for these cars, Toyota is not taking
    specific orders from dealers. They are sending what they have, and
    that's what we get. If the next customer on the waiting list does not
    like the Prius that was sent, then they have the option to wait for
    another one to come in, and so on.

In order to put your name on our waiting list, we require a $500
    deposit. If you decide you no longer want to wait for the car, we
    will refund your deposit in full at any time. Any trade you may have
    would be appraised when your Prius arrived. We are charging full MSRP
    for these cars.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty tough, isn't it?

I'm not sure how international car ordering works, but I remember hearing on several occasions that Canada has much shorter lists...of course, would you even be able to buy a Canadian one in the first place? I don't know.

Also, you could order from a region that doesn't have as long of a wait and have it shipped to you. I'm not sure how much it costs to have a car trucked across the country, but it's something worth looking into.

Good luck!

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Canada is a mere 40 miles away :) I don't know what happens if you buy in Canada and then want to bring in to the U.S. I don't want it so badly that I'm willing to pay to have it transported. If I'm not willing to drive "that far" to bring it home, I don't need it.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Before buying internationally, check on possible warranty issues and possible import duties or fees. If Toyota does not allow international warranty transfer, you could end up going back to canada for warranty work. And if there are import fees you could end up paying more than you expected. Also find out if you'd have to pay registration fees and taxes in both countries. Also, options packages might be different.