1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

deciding between Gen II (08) and III (10)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sdetweil, Aug 23, 2010.

1. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so, what are the key decision criteria for Gen III vs Gen II?

we live rural, so its 15miles one way to the grocery store.
    we've out 40,000 miles on our 08 suburban driving back & forth the last 2 yrs.. at 14mpg gotta do something..

so, we drove a Gen III the other day, and were quite amazed.. so we are hooked.. but.. they hold value, and seem to go forever.. why not 1/2 price get a decent used 08 with 35,000miles? besides the typical inspection, warranty, carfax, etc.. what else should I be looking for?

I like the more open front floor (2 little dogs) on the 08.. haven't driven one yet tho,, is the 1.5l engine noticable vs the 1.8 in the gen III? the acceleration vs honda hybrid really was the selling trigger..
    (and I have driven the camry hybrid when renting on work travel, which I thought was smokin fast!)..

thanks

Sam

doesn't seem to be a gen neutral place here..

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you're willing to pay more for a Gen III and can afford it, I'd say go for it. It's overall a superior car from many points of view such as features, power, mileage, and handling.

There are so many new and available features and improvements on the gen 3, such as no more (fuel tank) bladder, height adjust on the seats, heated seats, LED headlights (no more HIDs available), touch tracer controls, more power, remote AC, solar roof, intelligent park assist, dynamic radar cruise control, lane keep assist, lane departure warning, 17" wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes (US 2nd gens had rear drums), exhaust gas heat recovery system, EV, power and eco buttons, etc.

But, going for something w/a lot of the gadgets can make the car real expensive.

These links might help:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html
    Toyota Vehicles : Toyota Announces Prices for 2010 Prius / Toyota
    Most fuel-efficient cars - had 3rd gen
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080618...-advice/most-fuelefficient-cars-206/index.htm - has 2nd gen

Apparently, CR got worse city mileage on the 3rd gen than the 2nd gen and the same overall mileage. Do keep in mind that Toyota, starting w/gen 3, forces you to get a pretty expensive model in order to get 3 door smart key system or the backup camera.

Regardless of which you buy, you're looking at a 3 year/36K basic warranty, 5 year/60K powertrain and 8 year/100K mile HV battery warranty, from the time the car was bought new.

3. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks.. I should have added.. I am looking at a model II gen 3. not all the options.. I will add my own nav/hands free/rear camera, based on the opinion here that the optional isn't all that good, and that I am a car guy (build hotrods for hobby), and there are great instructions.. exactly what I am doing on the superduty at the moment..

good point to check on the II.. we drove one and then decided on another (black vs white).. didn't ask about the key difference if any..

and I can afford the difference in payment, and usually like new.. but.. have bought 3 used cars in the last 10 yrs, and all were good.. chevy truck, bought at 50k miles, now at 176k. ford focus. went 100k miles after we bought it before trade in. and ford superduty (to haul my car trailers.. only a year, but so far so good)..

the focus was a rental.. the 08 prius was also a rental.. typically ridden hard and put away wet.. got that.. checking on extended warranty availability..

Sam

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gen 2s came with either 0-door SKS (no SKS) or 3-door SKS. Gen 3s have 1-door or 3-door SKS. Model II has only 1-door SKS. Rather than me retyping the explanation of the difference, see http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...door-smart-key-in-prius-ii-6.html#post1060417.

On the 08 you're considering, if it has no black buttons on the two front doors, the doors don't unlock when you touch the black strips on the back of the 2 front door handles w/key fob on you and you MUST put the key in the slot to start the car, that means it does NOT have SKS/has "0-door" SKS.

One more set of links that you might find interesting: http://priuschat.com/forums/other-c...s-best-worst-lists-april-2010-auto-issue.html

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Based only on MPG, for your situation a Gen III will be better.

Wayne

6. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks.. rating wise they seem just a tiny bit different

as we have nearly no city around here, its highway.. 45 vs 48.. and looking over the forums here.. both seem to exceed the spec some/a lot of the time.

Sam

7. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    But the 08 Gen 2 at half the price, or $12K in savings, it will buy you a lot of gas and save alot of money even at about 3 less mpg.

8. Thai

Thai Prius Neophyte

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    With highway, gen 3 is more comfy (less road noise)...and more power.

9. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yep, at 2.65/gal and 42 vs 45 mpg, we're talking 190,000 vs 203,000 miles, for 12,000 base cost difference.. 5-6yrs worth of driving if we keep up the current pace..(20k/yr)...

and on the hiway comfort.. 10% better... would never drive an 08 on the hiway? (I know I am exaggerating)..

sam

10. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Both are good cars but drivers over 6 ft tall are likely to be a lot happier in the Gen III.
    I believe that Gen III has some significant safety advantages, particularly if base models are compared.
    Traction control is better in Gen III.
    When you are comparing prices make sure you are comparing real prices including all discounts and add ons rather than asking prices.

If both are in good shape, Gen III will look 6 years newer.

On Colour: Black and while both look great when they are clean. For rural use I would suggest either Silver or Sand colors. Light colour tends to be cooler too

11. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you can score a 08 with 35K on the odometer for 1/2 the price of a 2010 II you would be a fool to pass it up.

$12,000 or so is a bargain on the 2008.

I own my 2010 due to that fact they were selling 2008's last year for $19,995 with 35K on the clock.

12. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yep, I'm 6'2?
    our current cars are both white.. we don't have much dirt road, but LOTS of bug..
    Sam

13. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I'm 6'2" also and with my long legs, the Gen II simply was not an option. The Gen III is fine.

If you want to pursue the Gen II further I would make sure you take a long drive in it first. Some people rent one to do this.

14. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    we had thought about renting one.. nearest is 200 miles away...

sam

15. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    200 miles is a long way to go to rent a car for test drive purposes.

A local test drive of the Gen II that is for sale (assuming that it is local) while paying attention to this issue might tell you that it won't work. What it can't tell you is how you will feel after a few hours in the car.

16. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have an 09 and have put about 40,000 miles on it - mainly highway. I really like the car and at this point would imagine that it will eventually be replaced with another Prius in a number of years.

My father bought an 2010 a while back (an II without nav) and I have driven it a few times. The only thing that I miss is the back-up camera as the visibility out of the Prius is pretty bad. I find on my car I use the camera only infrequently, but it is nice to have when it is needed. The 2010 seems like it is a far superior car to my 09 - in just about every area.

So - in my opinion it would come down to $'s. If you can find a good price on a used one and price is a big factor then I'd strongly consider it. Otherwise I'd get a 2010.

17. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    well, we are the proud owners of a new Gen III, Mod II, with leather and window tint. they gave us $3000 discount (1 rebate, 2 dealer)
    and cheap interest..

thanks for everyones thoughts.

Now, add a nav system & backup cam, and auto headlights..
    anyone done that on a II

Sam

18. energyandair

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Congratulations!

My Canadian model came with a mirror that has back-up image, auto dimming, and 3 garage door remotes. I recall people have installed something similar in US models and a search should find something useful

It also has daytime running lights and auto head lights so if you can find a Canadian wiring schematic and a few parts it might be helpful. I recall some discussion of doing this on US mdels but I can't remamber a post from someone who has done it

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The real question is to buy it new or used. You have been buying used cars so why not get a used Prius. It gives the best bang for your buck.

If you are tired of buying used cars and really love the Gen3 Prius, buy it new.

Also consider a PHV Prius is coming as a 2012 model. Your 15 mile trips can be covered mostly by the plug. If you want to get a PHV Prius later, get a used Prius now.

20. sdetweil

sdetweil New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks I found that thread on the auto headlights.. and the aftermarket nav unit install thread, and the backup camera install instructions... and the fog lights..

mod time coming!..

Sam