1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deciphering sub-codes of LAN Monitor EMV 01-DCH

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Aaron Young, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Aaron Young

Aaron Young New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hi all. I’ve been searching and using this website for quite a few months now and you all have been very helpful. Thank you! But but finally decided to join. I could not find an answer on this forum or by googling of my particular sub code. Main code: 01-DC w/ sub-code:
    1C6-92- 4. Any guidance would be appreciated.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you start the story a little earlier, with why you are looking at those codes? They are only of any use for diagnosing problems with the infotainment system itself; they are distinct from the diagnostic trouble codes you can get with a scan tool for diagnosing the car.

Are you on the trail of an infotainment system problem?

Aaron Young likes this.
  3. Aaron Young

Aaron Young New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    thanks for responding. So it’s a bit of a long story. Lol. I’m a DIYer and my wife and I went to replace the passenger cv axle about a couple months ago. We put in a new one and everything went together well. Put it all back together but the car didn’t move. We read that it must not be seated correctly or all the way in. But that didn’t seem to be the issue. We thought it was defective. So we attempted to pull it out. No matter what we did, we couldn’t get the new cv axle out. We had it towed to Belle tire. They couldn’t get it out. We finally had it towed to Toyota. They were able to get it out it and it was pretty mangled at that point, so they didn’t reuse it and put in a new one for us. We went to go pick it up and they recommended replacing the rack and pinion because it was in bad shape. I was leaving the dealership and noticed the ABS and (!) brake light on (yellow). It wasn’t on before we started to work on the cv axle. From reading posts on this forum, I was able to decipher the blink codes as ABS 31 & 35 and (!) was 36. I guess these relate to the speed sensor? I’m not sure if that part is relevant info, but thought I would share. Maybe it plays into this… So my wife and I immediately ordered a rack and pinion. Installed it, but missed a step so our steering wheel was slightly crooked. This got fixed with an alignment. After that we went back to driving it for work. We both do delivery type jobs and put just about 300 miles a day on the car. So immediately we noticed our gas mileage wasn’t as good. It was noticeably worse. We have been averaging about 41 since driving it again. Better on freeways, but worse in town. There isn’t much regeneration(cars) going on. We get half a car like every 20 to 30 minutes. Meantime our brake lights never went off. Tried the paper lol trick at resetting it. It worked until the wheels started moving. Today was when I actually discovered the 01-DC code and it was on accident. I was looking at the diagnostic screen to check the health of the 12 volt battery and also tryin to read the blink codes and discovered that transmission code. I know this is so long! I’m sorry! But it gives you some background info.

4. Aaron Young

Aaron Young New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Update: triangle of death came on….

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok. Your 01-DC is an infotainment system code. (As mentioned, the only codes you get on those MFD diagnostic screens are about the infotainment system.) You've got bigger fish to fry at the moment than chasing down infotainment codes.

You might have seen that the fortune cookie for 01-DC is "transmission error" and thought it was something mechanical, like your car's transmission. It isn't; 01-DC is a data transmission error on the car's AVC-LAN that connects the audio-visual components. The head unit had 4 communication errors talking with device 1C6, which is the Gateway ECU. That could be worth looking into eventually, as it might mean you see funny data on the MFD displays for the car.

But right now you'd probably be better off to focus on the mechanical stuff with the car, and get those diagnostic codes, which you don't get on MFD screens. The blink-code method, as you've seen, can get you some of them. To get codes from all the car's ECUs, you might want to review this thread for options:

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

The blink codes you had on ABS, 31 (C0200) and 35 (C1235) both refer to the right front wheel speed sensor or its circuit.

The 36 on ((!)) just means "hey, did you see you had codes on ABS?".

You say the triangle light has now come on, which will mean you've got additional codes elsewhere that a scan tool will be needed to read.

6. Aaron Young

Aaron Young New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you very much for that. And good to know, I don’t have to worry about that 01-DC code for now. Thanks for that link about scanners. I have a really cheap one that terrible. I’m gonna look at something else to be able to read whatever is causing the triangle code. I’m thinking it’s something battery related…. If I turn the car on and it’s in park it’s fine, but soon as I put it in drive, the triangle appears and the screen displays immediately says to put it in park because the battery can’t charge. I’m thinking something is causing it to not charge, or the battery isn’t accepting charge. If I can’t seem to get the right OBD scanner or app, I’ll just have to see what the dealership says. I’m not sure what else to do. Thanks so much for your help and insight.

7. Aaron Young

Aaron Young New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Took it to Autozone today to see if they could read any codes. When driving there, the triangle wasn’t there. The battery was at half when I started it. Then it went up two bars for a total of 7 I believe. Still went to try and get any stored codes read. And these came up: C2300 and C2318 along with the ABS codes C0200 and C1235. For C23000 and C2318, I was able to find these files someone posted:
    file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/3b/11/5FD63FAE-E8BB-4AFA-87BA-3E1A97C0ED9A/cic2300.pdf

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/88/08/DC6860CB-2670-4871-970B-C8B596DE73C4/cic2318.pdf

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is the 12v health?

9. Aaron Young

Aaron Young New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Before taking it out, I tested it in maintenance mode following a sequence I found on one of the posts. Seemed ok. The age of the battery is pretty new. The date on it is 1/21. But took it out to put on the charger to double check. It was at 99% and 12 volts.

10. Aaron Young

Aaron Young New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We purchased the car earlier this year in February.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12 volts is pretty low, but not necessarily the problem

Aaron Young likes this.