1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decision: Buy 2005 Prius or 2008 Matrix?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by PghAnn, Apr 25, 2009.

1. PghAnn

PghAnn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After totaling (and rolling) my 2004 Matrix and walking away without a scratch (on me), I'm in the market for a used car.
    Considering a 2005 Prius, looks immaculate and seems to have been well maintained at a dealer, 70,000 miles.
    Or a 2008 Matrix, 35,000 miles, also immaculate and well maintained, with a 100,000 mile extended warranty.
    Other than the extra cargo space in the Matrix, I prefer the Prius, but am concerned about maintenance cost, since I'm on a tight budget.
    Any thoughts?

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the Prius.

Do you drive more than 10,000 miles per year?
    Get the Prius, even if you do 8,000, the Prius.

It's a Toyota for a start but it's also more mechanically simple than most conventional cars so maintainance is cheap and simple.

You're here because you want the Prius so buy it, but have an inspection done first unless you are a car expert.
    Did you ask the same question on a Matrix forum?

3. PghAnn

PghAnn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I drive about 18,000 miles per year, lots of trips to Ohio, Michigan, NYC.
    I didn't post on a Matrix site because I'm familiar with the Matrix, had one for 5 years before the crash. So it proved to be super safe and all the maintenance it needed was brakes and new tires. Also less concerned about the Matrix because it has half the miles on it, it's 3 years newer and there's 65,000 miles left on the bumper to bumper warranty.
    But you're right, the Prius is a lot more appealing.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reason I asked if you posted on the Matrix site was I suspect you came here to have your decission affirmed, and it has been. I bought my 04 Prius under 2 years ago with 61,000km on the clock, it now has 120,000 on it and I still love it. Fact is the more I drive it the more I love it, wish I could find a woman like that!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can subtract brakes from the Prius' list. As long as you don't brake hard at every light or stop sign, your brakes should last a lot longer than the Matrix' brakes.

Otherwise, it's the same Toyota maintenance with your usual oil/filter and coolant changes. Tyres will be cheaper because the Prius has 15" vs. the Matrix' 16" or 17".

The Prius is also equipped with VSC and side/side curtain airbags which were not available on the 2004 (nor 2008 if I remember correctly) if that Prius is a midrange model.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I would suggest 2006 or newer Prius. It has higher resolution screen, soft plastic interior and traction control were improved.

1 person likes this.
  7. PghAnn

PghAnn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for helpful comments. The deal on the 2005 fell through -- the sister of the seller wanted the car. I am now looking at some 2008 Prii from Blue Knob Auto in Pennsylvania. Their prices are $3,700 under KBB.

8. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I purchased on 04 with 70K miles late last year. I had the option to purchase a new Corolla or Matrix and chose the Prius. It's larger, rides better, and gets way better gas mileage. I am very happy.

9. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am buying a 2004 tomorrow, got it for 10K out the door has 58K and is a very nice car, hope you find the car of your dreams;)