1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by livelychick, Apr 30, 2007.

1. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, I'm looking for some advice from my esteemed PC compatriots...

It looks like my '06 has been totalled after my accident last week, much to my surprise. The good news? I have gap insurance, which will take care of the thousands I was "upside down" on my car, and I can start over. The bad news? Prii are hard to find here in VA. I want at least a package six. And no taupe interior, which (I think) takes the black exterior out of the equation. Which means I don't know which color to get.

The other part of this equation is price. I've been neurotic about lay-offs recently, and a cheaper car would mean lower car payments, which would mean less neuroses about having to pay bills if I did get laid off.

I loved my car--truly adored it. I don't know if another one can come close in comparison...

Do I stick with the Prius (which, btw, proved just how safe it was in this accident) or do I get a cheaper car with less gas mileage (like the Matrix)? I'd feel like I was betraying my personal ethics for money, but I want to be realistic, too.

And if I stick to the Prius, what color do I get?

This is one of those time that I wish I had a husband to run the decision by.

What would you do? Thanks in advance...

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius are widely available around the country, no reason to pay sticker in VA...look around, find a deal, buy a $100 plane ticket and enjoy the drive home.

Can't advise on the color.

But hell yes, get a new Prius...what kinda silly question is that anyway!

3. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  4. M. Oiseau

M. Oiseau 6sigma this

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Miller Toyota in Manassas has about 38 right now with a bunch priced at invoice. Go to millercars.com. :)

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You should be able to get a gray interior for every color except Driftwood Pearl.

If money is an option, don't get a six. I've got a 1 and I'm fine with it. Of course if you've been spoiled by smartkey.....

6. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 30 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]432920[/snapback]</div>
    It's not the SmartKey; it's the VSC, side curtain airbags, and I have to admit (sheepish)--six disc changer.

Amazing how Black is either not manufactured much or just hops off the lots...

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I assume you've checked with McGeorge. It's been awhile since I've been by there, but it seemed they always had some in stock in the past, even when shortages and above-list selling prices seemed to be commonplace elsewhere.

8. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yep--I've looked at McGeorge, Haley, and Priority. Bought the totalled one from Haley. Their on-line list o' inventory is just not too detailed...

9. hammermill

hammermill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Package #3 includes Smart Key, backup camera, VSC, anti-theft, auto-dimming mirror w/ HomeLink, JBL 6-disc in-dash changer, aux jack, MP3/WMA playback and Bluetooth while running $2445 less than #6. A 2007 #4 would be the equivalent of your 2006 #6 and is $475 more than #3, adding HID and foglamps.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do the math between the Prius and your next choice in car. Then see what other areas of your life can be changed if you end up getting laid off. IE, do you need cable tv? House phone? etc.

You know most of us are going to say get the Prius but in reality you have to decide because only you know how precarious your job situation is. :)

I agree with Evan. Get the best deal you can in another state and drive the car home if need be. It's not like you'll spend much in gas to get it back home. lol

11. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hammermill @ Apr 30 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]432965[/snapback]</div>

I just bought this package Black/Grey #3 with all of the above in Atlanta. I also got floor mats.

$23,000 plus tax, tag and doc fee. You should be able to work this and buy from a state without a huge doc fee.

I am not sure I needed VSC. The stereo is nice, but not stellar. Once I take advantage of the bluetooth features, those will be great. I needed anti theft in the area I live. I don't have a garage and haven't noticed the auto dim mirror.

How do I use an iPod mini 4 gig in package #3. Do I need anything special?

I want leather added. Pkg #2 seemed fine to me for a thousand less or so.

12. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's a no brainer. Get Silver Pine Mica with a gray interior. Less heat in the summer, no swirl marks. If availability in your area is a problem, contact an auto broker.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry to hear about your wreck, glad you're okay.

The job market out there is tough right now. My fiance has been out of work since May of last year. She did get a good job in between but she wound up having to quit because of the owner of the company's business practices. Not to sound conceited, but I really feel for people who both make about the same amount of money or who don't have a second wage earner (she doesn't HAVE to work, things are better when she does but I make more than enough for us to live happily) its tough. She applies and applies and applies, has 8 head hunters, theres just nothing out there.

So, I can understand the desire to economize. Honestly? If you think it would make you significantly more at ease if you didn't have as big a car payment to worry about I'd buy a cheaper car. Driving a fancy car is fun, but its not worth worrying about how you're going to pay for it.

14. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What about buying used?

15. Joe Bernard

Joe Bernard New Member

I don't think the Matrix is a very cost-efficient drop down from the Prius. If you really want to reduce your payments and still get decent mpg, check out the 2-door Yaris. It has the old Echo drivetrain, and my 4-door A/T Echo got at least 35 mpg every day. The driving position and steering feel of the Yaris I tested was similar to the Prius. I think it's cool looking in that slightly weird way the Prius is, too.

16. livelychick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ May 1 2007, 12:17 AM) [snapback]433052[/snapback]</div>
    I thought about it, but after checking the prices, it seems that used Prii are only a couple of thousand cheaper and a coupla years older. The depreciation of these cars is so minimal...and with new cars, you generally get better interest rates, incentives, etc.

17. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just to help you with the decision of the Matrix versus the Prius:

From a financial point of view, the Prius is going to save you money on gas as compared to the Matrix. Making some simple assumptions (detailed below), leads me to the conclusion that you will save about $45 per month on gasoline with the Prius. That $45 savings can go toward paying a larger car loan to offset the more expensive Prius - by my calculations, that extra $45 can pay a car loan that is $2,200 bigger.

Here are the assumptions:

Gas prices: $3.00 / gallon
    Miles driven per month: 1000 miles
    Prius gas mileage: 51 MPG
    Matrix gas mileage: 29 MPG (I am using the lowest numbers for both cars to get close to reality)
    Interest Rate on car loan: 8%
    Length of car loan: 5 years.

Separately, given your financial concerns, I would view this accident as an opportunity to reduce your debt load. So, if you could accept a used vehicle (perhaps a 2005 certified Prius for example) or even a used Matrix - you could improve your cash flow over the next 2 or 3 years.

Good luck.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Even though I think the Prius is the coolest gas-powered car on the road, I would never go into debt to buy a car. If money is an issue, I'd buy a late model used Civic or Corolla. The gas mileage is not as good, but the purchase price will be about half.

My first car was a junker. I began making "car payments" to myself. That way I was collecting interest rather than paying interest, until I could buy a new car.

However do not skimp on safety features. Get the cheapest package that has ALL the safety features: VSC and all the air bags.

19. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ May 1 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]433164[/snapback]</div>
    Let me give you my perspective from a former Matrix owner. First of all its an excellent vehicle, true your not going to get anywhere near the MPG of the Prius but in my FWD I consistantly averaged 32 MPG+ and that was mostly local driving. It handles wonderfully in all conditions, and of course has better pickup. I also feel its a sportier looking car if that matters to you. Being it is a compact vehicle I do notice the Prius is roomier, but no so much that the Matrix would feel cramped to you.

I owned two Matrix's an '03 and '05 and recently let the 05 AWD go because it took a bit hit on gas mileage (25) and there is just not a need for AWD here in South Central, PA. I would have held off on the Prius if I thought Toyota might covert the new matrix (to be called the 'Blade') to a hybrid, but this does not seem to be the case. I guess there is no need for two hybrid hatchback's at this point. :(

I quoted 'John' because where his numbers look ok on paper I don't think its realistic. With the Matrix looking at a brand new model late this year it should be easier to obtain one now for much less then a base Prius. (and I doubt you would want a base now right?) :) If we take the 'ole car dealer mentality of $20 a month per $1000 financed (roughly of course) you should be looking at 4k to 5k difference which could mean up to $100 less a month in payment. No matter how high gas goes your not going to recoup that payment in gas savings unless you putting up incredible miles.

This is all rough of course, and maybe his numbers are closer. I guess the best bet is to sit down with numbers and decide what you can live with. (Great job in getting the GAP insurance by the way, I will never buy a car without it) I did this when thinking of the Prius and in my case we were looking at going up in payment not down thanks to the trade economics. In the end I felt it would be worth it in the long run with gas pricing, and of course doing my part to keep our county/country greener. Its not an easy decision, and both cars are great in their own way. You already know you love the prius so if you can find one with options you want, I'm sure you can work the payment to where you need it....that's the easy part! :)

As for color...well I think the Prius looks great in Barcelona Red (as many others would agree) if the black is not around of course. I myself prefer blue so Seaside Pearl was the only choice.

Good Luck and glad no one was injured in your crash!

20. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darken @ May 1 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]433193[/snapback]</div>
    This puzzles me a bit as I test drove a Matrix prior to buying my Prius. The acceleration was terrible, which was one of the major factors in my going with the Prius over it (I was pleasently surprised at how much pep the Prius had when I test drove it) The 2007 Matriz only comes with a 1.8L 4 cyl, whereas I think there was a 2.0L available on earlier models so maybe that is the difference. The handling was fine but I thought the suspension was awful. Every bump felt like you were right on the road. Also there is no longer an AWD option. The rear seat area of the Matrix was also quite cramped. The Prius felt like a luxury sedan in comparison. The only things I liked better about the Matrix was the larger cargo area and cheaper price obviously. But with the options that we wanted, the Matrix got up to within about $2,000 of the Option 1 Prius we wanted. So it became a no brainer to us when factoring in the gas savings/envrionmental benefit of owning a Prius. If you could live with a bare bones Matrix and didn't need a car with a whole lot of pep or comfort, I could see going with the Matrix for the cost savings. Just my 2 cents.