1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deck in lower tray with door closed?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dan., Apr 19, 2007.

1. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm interested in installing a DVD player below the factory stereo (non JBL) without removing the plastic door. I don't need a screen, I'll use the MFD. Has anyone gotten a 1 DIN deck down there without having to leave the door removed? If so, do you have any data on how deep your deck was?

Right now I'm looking at the Farenheit DVD-36. Cheap, but should do the trick. What I don't know is if 6.25" is still to deep too fit BEHIND the little clear door.

For video, I'll either use Ultimate Lock Pick 3, or splice the Backup Camera line myself and live with the "Check your surroundings for safety" message (unless someone knows the combination to get rid of that too without going into DFIV).

Anyway... think 6.25" is still too big?

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. chuck_k

chuck_k New Member

Won't fit, darn it. Almost, but not quite--at least, not without a decent amount of modding that box.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Aren't you replacing the box with the player? The box itself is 1 DIN, so that's where the player should go (once the box is removed).

Nate

5. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 19 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]426227[/snapback]</div>
    Any info on deminsions (depth) on the units that you have installed (or seen) in that space. What's your guess on the deepest a unit could pull this off? 5.5", 6", 6.5"? Shortest I've found is 6.25".
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chuck_k @ Apr 19 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]426259[/snapback]</div>
    Which deminsion was too tight, and by how much? Do you have the deminsions of the unit you tried?
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 19 2007, 04:37 PM) [snapback]426306[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I was hoping... take out the box, and start hacking up whatever else I need to. I'm not that concerned about what I have to tear, cut or dremil behind the door, just as long as I can keep the door. I've read that the DIN standard only dictates HxW and makes no limits on depth. So I would assume there is a wide variation on depth in the market. I just hope to find a shallow one.

[post="328998"]I've seen some really nice installs in this post by Presto[/post], but it's a lot more than I need. He said his unit almost fit, but not quite.

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Depth-wise, I believe I had ample space. The reason that the deck sticks out is more because of the screen design. If I mount it deeper, the screen would not be able to fold out. My cousin specifically chose a screen that would allow him to keep the door on while having the screen still deployable.

7. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Had to remove to be able to get the touch screen to extend. If your unit has a screen you will have to loose the whole assembly and replace with your device.

8. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Fantastic. Thanks for all the advice. I'm not worried about the screen, since I'll tap the MFD for video. I'll start hunting for a deck to buy. Is there any Prius-disassembly manual you'd suggest or was it all trial and error?

9. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think I used Sparky's guide to pull apart the dash at first. After pulling apart the dash a few dozen times, I can have the whole dash apart, down to the headunit, in less than a minute :)

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 20 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]426923[/snapback]</div>

Dude, someday you and I need to race.

11. Conine

Conine New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 20 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]426731[/snapback]</div>

presto does your screen have a tilt option on it? if i got a screen with the tilt option couldnt i just leave the door on the map slot on and tilt the screen to my leisure?