1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Declining gas mileage and burning a lot of oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fallon Horstmeyer, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Fallon Horstmeyer

Fallon Horstmeyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi my 2008 Prius with 114,000 miles started off getting 38-40 mpg on the highway. I drove it across country (drove great) but on the way back it quickly started to decline. 35, 31, 27, at one point 25 mpg. I got an oil change before I hit the road again because I noticed it was burning a lot of oil. I think Prius's are known to do that. I tried turning off the AC.

When I got back home I took it straight to the mechanic and he said nothing is wrong with it. However, it burned two quarts of brand new oil in 1300 miles. I'm at my wits end. I need to take another road trip but at this point my old jeep gets better gas mileage. Anyone know the correlation or had a similar experience? I just got this car for the gas mileage and it's becoming pointless to drive if it can't be fixed. Thank you for your time!
    Fallon

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

actually, oil burning is pretty rare in gen 2 with those miles. maybe you blew the geadgasket. you'l probably need a compression test.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This forum is for a 2017and later Prius Prime, which is a plugin Gen4 car. Your 2008 is a Gen2, non-plugin, so this thread should be moved to a Gen2 forum.
    --------------------------
    Update: It has now been moved to a better forum.

#3 fuzzy1, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Check your catalytic converter and pcv valve they should be in working order.

5. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did your mechanic scan for codes? With that kind of behavior there should be something stored, at least. Even mpg of 38-40 seems abnormally low. I guess if there are no codes for the hybrid system, checking compression as bisco suggested would be the best course of action.