1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deep Freeze and Snow analysis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wb9tyj, Dec 24, 2004.

1. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We are now in the midst of the coldest days of the season...we got our share of snow and its a balmy -2F as we speak...The Prius faired rather well so far...total MPG at -2 to -5F is around 38 and as far as pushing through snow...it seems you really have to push the pedal hard in order to pass through some snow drifts...the VSC wants to kick in and keep you going...i noticed that pushing through reasonable snow both the electric and ICE must be used in tandem, hence, the heavy push on the pedal. the green SOC is really showing up ...it held green for 10 miles coming home from work...secondary to ICE constantly running...overall, a good first winter test in the deep freeze...ps ... john 1701a ...i see it was -27f in intl falls...going for -15 here tonight...

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Winnipeg and surrounding area has been just as cold, and a bit colder, than International Falls, MN. When feeling silly, we refer to International Falls as being "down south."

With the stock Goodyear Integrity tires, I had a problem with slush and especially ice traction. Snow traction was average. With the Dunlop Graspic DS-2 winter tires, I can go through 1-2 ft drifts no problem. Much improved traction on ice and slush. The VSC rarely kicks in, even on ice.

Of course, a big problem with cold temps is that the salt can't take care of the ice, so slippery intersections stay slippery. Regular sand is just as bad, it's like ball bearings on top of ice. That pulverized sand, like fine talcum powder, seems to work well on ice.

My MPG is similar to yours at -25 C to -34 C. Sure can't wait for the warmer temps again!

3. GreenSteve

GreenSteve Web Hosting Provider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was down to 56 degrees fahrenheit here in Palm Springs this morning when we set out to buy a Seasonal Holiday Gift Man Day present for our home wired LAN. 56 degrees!

I was only getting 47.2 MPG, but it was a short trip to Staples.

I can tell you that a Brother laser printer in its carton will fit very nicely in the back of a Prius without putting the seat down.

We didn't buy anything for our WiFi LAN yet, maybe I'll buy a WiFi to USB print server and let both LANs use the new printer.

4. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No snow here in Chicago but the temps are -1*F this morning and low teens during the day. MPG has fallen to 37 with new all season Toyos to battle the coming snow.
    I still like the idea of sitting in traffic getting almost 40MPG while the SUVs just chug away in the same urban snarl.
    Merry Christmas everyone!

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    -9F last Monday. I went to Broussard (just south of Montreal). Mostly highway speeds, traffic jam last 2 miles. Avg was 38 or so for the round trip of about 210 miles. Lots of Green bars since the engine never shuts off.

BUT! Got 57.8 MPG on Thursday coming from Middlebury to Burlington (31 miles). Temps around 50, perfect Prius conditions. Max speed 55, electric a long bit near home when we hit traffic.

I took a picture later that night since it is the highest I've seen and WAY better than the high 30's of late. But due to the really low miles on the tank, it dropped 0.2 MPG while I focused! And another .2 and another, etc. Now down to low 40's with more regular short trips.

But! Going back to Middlebury tomorrow and Wednesday :) It will be colder so I don't expect high 50s' but maybe I can get another mid 40's tank.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

A month ago, I had been getting 56-59MPG, but as of late, low 50's.
    This past Thursday, Christmas eve, I spent the morning/afternoon with my best friend, first to get a replacement tire (new thread on that pending), and last minute Christmas shopping. Between the cooler temps, short trips (usually drive 20-50 mile trips), and extra passenger weight (usually just me), MPG dropped to 52. I jokingly whined about the reletively low (for me anyway) MPG. He looked at me, and gave a passifying "Uh huh". Then I realized, he must be thinking "gee, I get 20MPG with my van if I am lucky, and you are complaining about 51MPG?"

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey Dan:

Tell me about it. I get some priceless looks at work when I complain about my "poor" winter fuel economy. Most of my coworkers don't even bother checking during the Winnipeg winter, it's too depressing.

I kept fairly close tabs on my 2000 GMC Sierra. The absolute best tank was temps of 60-65 F, cruise at 90 km/h, no wind, no weight, no passengers: 22 MPG (U.S. gallon).

Driving winter stop-n-go at -40 C, the absolute worst from that GMC was 4 MPG. You could almost see the gas gauge moving. Cripes.

Still, it's good clean fun to moan about our "low" winter fuel economy when the person we're complaining to is driving a Ford Expedition. Hehehehe!

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, now that I am primarily driving my 50 mile one way commute doing an average 45 MPH, my mileage has crept up to 54 MPG for the rest of the tank.

It's gotten a bit warmer too, so that has helped.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"60073)</div>
    wow... 22 to 4 mpg!!

now that makes me feel like im complaining about molehills because my Prius went from 55 to 46 mpg!!