1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deer whistles, effective or not?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by andyman68, Feb 20, 2006.

1. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any opinions as to whether deer whistles are effective in preventing car/deer collisions?

Andy

2. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't whistle when hunting deer, women hate it when you whistle at them. Oh wait, you were talking about the four-legged kind. Oh, hahahaha :lol: never mind.

3. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They only work if you are driving a slug-bug! :lol: No they do not work. I have seen them on several deer-wrecked vehicles over the years.

4. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well, it wasn't a study but quite a few years back one of the midwestern states (Iowa I think) tried putting them on their state police cruisers. The number of deer-police car collisions went way up. The article surmised that the whistles caused deer to bolt that would not have run onto the highway. Given the somewhat dim nature of deer, a good number went towards the road rather than away. They took the whistles off. This was 20 or more years ago and is being repeated from dim memory. It was enough that I have never considered using them even though I drive in the early morning on roads with lots of deer.

- Tom

5. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I never understood deer. If you sit in a tree hunting them and twitch they run away. If you drive a 2000 pound car down the road they jump out in front of you. They must not be very smart. :unsure: