1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Defective Nav system after 46k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bradturner32, Jul 29, 2007.

1. bradturner32

bradturner32 New Member

So last week, just before a trip from Phoenix to Los Angeles I find that the navigation system in my '05 has died. It would begin as usual flashing the Hybrid Synergy Drive screen and then reset itself, rebooting in a continuous loop. This left everything tied to the central screen inoperable including the Audio/CD Changer. Only the AC worked via the steering wheel controls (luckily).

After taking it in for service they placed a replacement nav system on order claiming that there was "an internal short". It was replaced on Saturday and I was rather surprised to see that they replaced the entire dash unit (the screen was new with it's protective cover). I was expecting the unit under the passenger seat, but the short must have been behind the screen somewhere.

Has this happened to anyone before? I'm now trying to reload all of my phone numbers and reset the radio stations. :(

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It wasn't the nav that was faulty, it was the Multi-display (MFD)...many of us with '04s and early '05s have had this problem.

You'll notice that you have some new functionality in that the INFO button on the steering wheel will now allow you to toggle b/w the Energy screen and Consumption screen.

You didn't mention what you paid for repair...did you have the extended warranty? Did you get the refurb for $500 or did they stick you for the full $2000+ replacement?

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 29 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]487050[/snapback]</div>
    My 2005 (manufactured 3/05) has always done that. If it wasn't that way normally, what happened when you pressed INFO?

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 29 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]487050[/snapback]</div>
    He probably already had that function. I have always been able to toggle between these two screens by using the steering wheel Info button on my very early '05 (manuf. 08/04) which still has the original MFD.

5. bradturner32

bradturner32 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jul 29 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]487050[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks - my INFO button behaved that way prior to the upgrade. Everything was covered under my extended service plan so no OOP.