1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Definitely, not a performance car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jamarimutt, May 24, 2004.

1. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Have you tried holding the brake pedal, flooring the accelerator of your Prius and then releasing the brake? Or shifting to neutral at a stop light, flooring the acclerator, and then shifting into drive?

The Prius is not a performance car and it's probably the most difficult vehicle to transform into one. :wink:

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mo' debbly :_> If you want something electric that can beat the shirt off a Porsche, Ferrari, or Corvette, you need a T-Zero from AC Propulsion.

3. Mybrid

Mybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :Wth:
    :silly: :jester: :lolup: :lolup: :lolup:

:roll: Well I guess that depends on what your definition of performance is :!:
    :computer: :wave:

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Wait a minute...

In the first place, do the methods of "popping the clutch" or "revving with the brake on" even work the Prius' hybrid transmission?

I.e., until you get to <X> MPH, you're going to be using the electric engine -- revving the ICE up isn't going to do diddly for you, right?

5. fred

fred New Member

interesting question for us car guys. ifind that although i cant squeal 8) 8) the tires that "smiley" is a great stealth attacker. most folks think its a dog but under the right conditions its very quick. does not waste time down shifting and will get off the line ok. none of which is expected by non prius owners. i hope this has not upset my morre traditional prius owners but this is aimed at car guys who are used to some "snap" off the line. do not be surprised at the steady conservative but ok aceleration. ive surprised quit a few traditonal vehicles

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry guys but in a "drive by wire" car, all those things you do will not generate any more performance.

holding the brake down and gunning it in neutral tells the car you dont want to go anywhere. it isn't a mechanically controlled car where the brakes have no idea or even care what the driver, engine or car is doing. The Prius has 6 on board computers sharing information on the feedback they get from the controls your are manipulating. Conflicting feedback will most likely lean towards the safest route or stop.

also, i dont know what you drove before but the Prius has good power from a standing start up to the limit of the electric motor.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a known technique to incrase your launch speed.

It does involve keeping the car in drive, holding the brake, flooring the accelerator until the ICE is at max speed, then releasing. This is known as force charging.

This does a couple of things. It allows the ICE to generate maximum torque at launch, and it also generates extra voltage which could be directed to the motor for additional torque.

I'd bet money that those who got <10 seconds (or low 10's) 0-60 in the Prius were using this technique.

No, I've yet to try it, however it's been well documented in the Yahoo-2G group. Wayne Brown (mwbueno) brought up the concept more than once.

-Rick

8. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Just out of curiosity, I have tried holding the brake pedal, flooring the accelerator and then releasing the brake. I have also tried shifting to neutral at a stop light, flooring the acclerator, and then shifting into drive. Nothing happens; it is a strange feeling unique to this car.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    With all due respect to jamarimutt, the Prius is indeed a performance car. It's just not a muscle car. It has excellent acceleration from a stop, without any special tricks. It accelerates from 75 to 80 (for freeway passing) very rapidly. And I consider mileage an aspect of performance.

Except that they don't seem to be selling them, and given that they have not updated their web site in a year, it looks to me as though they never will.

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yah. I begged 'em in 2001 to offer a hybrid version, but they wanted to be purists. What a wasted opportunity.

11. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    OK, maybe not the Prius, but how about this Toyota hybrid? :)

12. fred

fred New Member

now you're talkin' !!!!!!!!!! hubba hubba :D

13. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    BTW, IIRC it gets something like 32 mpg at normal highway speeds.

14. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe that can be done on the <'03's, but it doesn't work on the '04's. The ICE won't start at all. It feels like a little torque is applied to the drivetrain as the suspension winds up slightly. I think it helps launch slightly and seems to bring the ICE online a tick sooner.

Flooring it in neutral and dropping into "D" won't do a thing.

It looks like torque standing a hybrid isn't possible, well, until someone hacks it.

I guess we'll have to wait for something like the Volta.

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

[Broken External Image]:http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/future/volta/photo1.jpg

15. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps the next best thing would be then to use B mode to come to a stop, which often leaves the ICE running a bit longer. Then at the next green, the ICE is already running which gives a bit quicker of a launch than if it is off :)

16. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a combination I haven't tried, but will this morning.

Overall, I'm satisfied with Prius grunt off the line when taking the car's design goals into mind. Even now on a wet surface I'll get some momentary wheelspin accelerating from a stop through a 90° turn until TRAC kicks in.

Low-end torque feels adequate, but a little more high-end horsepower combined with a quicker CVT lockup would be nice. Until then, I'm adapting my style to the car.

I approach drives as competitive events, but not for speed or time. Instead, I try bettering the mpg from last time! It makes for smoother, slower, more relaxed drives, but there's always that nice midrange "burst" (OK, pop) of speed available if needed.

17. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no "lockup" in the CVT. There is a sensation where MG1 does apply more torque against the engine which seems to drive more power to the wheels, but I'm not sure I'd call it "lockup" as it's only "magnetically locked" at best.

18. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Understand. I was using the "old fashioned" ECT torque converter analogy to the mode with least slip, not knowing what else to call it.

19. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I am very pleased with the Prius' overall performance--my post was directed at owners who seem to want to have it both ways: excellent fuel economy plus options to make the car go (perform) well above what it was designed to do. You can modify most other cars (if not all) to make them accelerate substantially better but not the Prius.

The person who sold me my Prius said outright "this car cannot be altered"; he was right and I like it.

20. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    They haven't met people like Wayne Brown, Coastal Tech, and the likes then :)

We may not alter it for go fast performance, but may opt to allow EV mode, extend EV range with more batteries, etc. etc. :)