1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Definitive Priuschat Poll: Over or Under?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Feb 24, 2006.

?
  1. Over

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Under

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Sideways on a pole.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Loose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This thread was suggested about a month ago, but nobody ran with it.
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=14806&st=13

I think it's time to say where we, as a group, stand (or sit) on this subject – and so, THE TOILET PAPER POLL.

This should prove to be THE poll which finally separates US from them.
    Showing the world our creedal statement in all its righteous glory.
    Boldly proclaiming that for which we hold as a fundamental pillar of our way of life.
    A definitive statement, once and for all, of where we - as a united front of Priuschaters - stand on the tissues!

Me personally . . . OVER!
    Think about it . . . You wash your hands after you “go†(at least I hope you do :unsure: ), so why would you want to be touching the wall, in the same spot, over and over, before you wash? I would rather not have poopy walls. :huh:

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    First off, if yer careful you won't "mark" the walls. Second, I have no preference other than that the TP is available.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My vote goes for over. My eldest daughter, in her perverse rebelliousness, has recently decided it should go under. I'm not about to disown her for it, but it certainly is annoying to sit in the dark in the middle of the night and spin the roll, wondering why it's not working.

We used to have a problem with people not replacing the roll when it ran out. So, I made one of those arbitrary house rules that whoever used the last of the toilet paper should get a new roll. So, of course, the kids never use the last square. <_<

4. slortz

slortz New Member

I can see reasons for having it either way.

The argument for over the roll is that it is easier to initially grab the leading edge of the roll, rather to than reach to the opposite side underneath the roll.

But the argument for under the roll is that once you have pulled out the amount of TP that you wish to tear off, it is easier to do this with one hand without the roll unravelling more unwanted TP.

I agree with tripp though, don't care as long as it's there. :)

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In Spain it was quite common to have the roll on a vertical post. that eliminated the need to mess with that thing that goes inside the roll and fits into the holder. And it eliminated the over/under problem, though you of course had to decide between clockwise and counterclockwise.

And who was it who decided which way clocks should go, anyway? I once knew a girl whose brother had modified all the clocks in the house so they ran backwards. You wouldn't believe how confusing that can be.

6. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As an online forum grows larger, the probability of a poll querying the correct orientation of toilet paper approaches 1.

-Ken

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good question. And I'm hardly an expert and haven't done a search for the answer but I will speculate.

While medieval monks did invent the alarm clock....there have been water clocks built by the ancient Greeks and Romans. So I'd lay the blame with them. I'm sure there's a good reason for "clockwise". Probably something to do with the gears and parts they used already having that orientation because they were borrowed from another existing "thing".

Oh...well that was a fast search.

Why do clocks run clockwise?

What a simple answer:

Are you ready?

"Before there were clocks time was measured by hourglasses and sundials. Since the civilizations that were using these timepieces were all in the northern hemishere, the sun was always at least slightly to the south at all times. So sundial needles were all designed to cast shadows northward onto the sundial face. Since the sun always rises in the east, the shadow it would cast would start on the west side, which is the left side when facing north. As the sun moved westward during the day, the shadow would move to the right, in a "clockwise" direction. So the first clock "hands" determined what "clockwise" would be, and when mechanical clocks were developed they naturally followed the established direction."

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    HA HA HA!!!

what a claim to fame that is... i inspired the TP poll. :lol:

i voted for OVER because i hate it when DH changes the roll and puts it UNDER and i can't for the life of me get any paper off of it!

but what's with all the bathroom polls lately...?

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL.. so if anyone in my house ever states that rule again, i'll be sure to mark the last square with " i left some for you" in pen :)

10. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

That is just like when I was growing up and we kept a bottle of water in the fridge.. You had to fill it up if you used the last... You would not believe (I guess you would), how many times there was an 1/8th of an inch of water on the bottom!

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. i get that all the time too... <_<

12. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

two dispensers side by each the left one is mine and don't touch it and I won't touch the other, that said, over.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You realize of course, Sufferin', that this is your defining topic. At PC gatherings for years to come it'll be 'oh yeah, you're the toilet paper dude. Over or under man! Yeah!' :lol:

14. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do you get a Sears catalogue that comes in rolls???
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Actually . . . with 3,248 responses and 51,152 views and an offspring, I'd say that Free Word Association was/is my defining topic. That is until Rancid13 broke it with the very apropos submission of the word “ejection.†:lol:
    http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=5...%20word&st=3247

But, for those like you who only live for the present and easily forget the past, your post is understandable - due to Wolfman's netiquette lapse in having restarted my topic under his name rather than asking me to restart it. :mellow:

As for any pox that may be place upon my psyche for having started a TP poll . . . I can only mutter to myself – “And this, too, shall pass away.†:)

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, yes I would. But in our house there was only one person that did that....my brother. So whenever it happened my mother knew exactly who to jump on.

I always enjoy a good floor show. Sometimes it was even dinner theater.

17. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, but Free Word Association didn't have the word 'definitive' in the title field. Definitive, defining... oh never mind.

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

19. kDB

kDB New Member

don't know how this got here...