1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Defrost and Climate Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tripp, Nov 29, 2005.

1. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Howdy all,

On the way back from a hockey game tonight I had to run the defrost several times to clear the front windshield. I noticed that everytime I turned on the front defrost the climate control kicked in and stayed on even after I shut off the defrost. I didn't really need the bloody climate control on so I had to keep turning it off, which is a pain in the arse. Is there a way to have the climate control turn off when I toggle off the front defrost?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you just leave the climate control on you won't have to worry about defrosting your windshield.

3. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

There is also a vent selection that gets you defrost without kicking in the big front defrost.

4. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

I like to control my fan speed manually. If you have manual fan speed on and auto a/c off, you can turn the front defrost on/off at your convenience without re-engaging auto a/c. I've also become accustomed to turning off the heat altogether for the first 5 minutes or so... especially in stop 'n' go driving.

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The smartest thing said by any infomercial host was Ron Popiel. "Set it and forget it."

The Prius A/C system is not automatic for your benefit so much as it is automatic for the car's benefit. The auto a/c system was designed to keep you comfortable, but it was also designed to keep the battery comfortable. In other words, if you keep your cabin between 68 and 80 degrees the battery operates much more efficiently than if it is operating at very cold or very hot temperatures. The battery uses cabin air for heat dissipation, but during the winter it also uses cabin heat to help get the battery up to a more efficient operating temperature. If you are choosing to turn off the a/c system altogether or are keeping low fan when the system would run high fan, you might be hindering the vehicles ability to provide the car with the most efficient battery operating temperature.

6. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Hockey! My favorite sport. Thanks for the reminder that I can put on the front defrost from the steering wheel. I'm interested in finding an answer ...although what I am looking for is a way to adjust the level of air flow from the A/C system without having to go to climate control screen. I'm not a MPG at all costs, I will be comfortable in my car :)

7. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know why it does that. But I have found that a click of the Auto A/C button on the steering wheel will stop the defroster, so a double-click on that button will shut defrost and Auto A/C off.

8. ABC12

ABC12 New Member

yea, but it shuts the whole environmental system, not just ac

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unless I'm uncomfortable, I do turn the whole thing off in the morning lately to avoid running the ICE more than I need. With no breeze at all, sometimes I think a jacket is too warm at 42. Recirculate mode helps cut down on any breeze...

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

GO KINGS!

11. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for all of the input fellas. I'm sure I'll put it to good use soon. As for me, I'm definitely in the MPG at all cost camp. And after a game the last thing that I really need is a warm cabin. I just wanna be able to see the bleedin' road.

12. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

So -- I'm assuming here that you are PLAYING the game instead of just watching it?! 'because then, cold is better!!! :blink: (speaks someone who routinely rides with 3 hockey players at various ages in life)