1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Defrost

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by RocMills, Aug 22, 2012.

1. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I thought I wouldn't have need of the defrost for several months yet, but today we had unusually cold rain and my windows soon fogged up. The fan (not a/c) was already running at a very low setting (one or two clicks only) when I depressed the defrost button. Roughly 15 seconds later, it was like a hurricane in the cabin! The fan moved to the highest setting all by itself. This did clear the windshield in seconds, but it was a bit disconcerting. This phenomenon repeated itself all three times that I engaged the defrost button. Is the defrost supposed to do that? I swear, the sudden change startled me so much, I hit my head on the ceiling of the cabin. LOL

2. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Pretty sure that's normal. When I needed to defrost windows on my last car, I always turned the fan all the way up manually. You can always turn the fan down if you want.

3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, Ashley.

This is the first car I've ever owned that wasn't manual everything (except transmission), so I was quite surprised. All my other Toyotas (this is my fourth Toyota) have required manual adjustment of the fan, even in defrost mode. Yes, I know I can turn it down... not that it was necessary to do so, the hurricane force defrosted the windows so quickly that there was no point in turning it down, I simply shut it off.

4. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    This is why I love it... tap the button... window clears quick smart... tap the button again to disengage it... so much easier than pressing buttons and twisting dials in my old Corolla.

JLee81 and RocMills like this.