1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Delray Dismay

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by billg_sd, Jul 1, 2004.

1. billg_sd

billg_sd New Member

Recently I visited a Toyota dealership in Delray Beach, FL (since I have a home there). The dealer kindly informed me that a Prius will cost me $7,000 above MSRP. He indicated that if I were to buy Package #9 with leather interior, I could get it for only $4,000 to $5,000 above MSRP.

I kindly informed him that I wasn't born yesterday, and I could wait a few years. :lol:

--Billg_sd

2. HerkyHawk

HerkyHawk New Member

Sorry to hear about your experience. It seems like more and more dealers are choosing to go this route. Toyota is going to lose a lot of business this way...

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When dealing with service people - especially the ones who believe that they can out-wait me, I enjoy telling them: "you should underestimate neither my determine nor the amount of time at my disposal."

In Bill's case - as with many others - I think it is the dealer who will be losing business. The biggest blame we can place on Toyota is that they developed a kick-nice person car that serves an excellent purpose and a whole bunch of people want. For their inventiveness and willingness to sink tons of money into the original Prius and at that time unproven technology, I will patronize Toyota for quite some time to come. Though I will chose my dealers selectively.

4. Tigkoly

Tigkoly New Member

Sorry but I beg to differ on one point. When the first Gen Prius was offered to the public, you ordered it online, chose the color basically because there were no packages available only dealer add ons. Then you selected the dealer you wanted and had to either go to the dealer or pay a deposit over the phone to confirm your order. After that you had a continuous comunication to let you know where your order was. Order being processed. Car set to be built on date. Car built date. Car in port in Japan. Car Leaving port in Japan with estimated US arrival date and port. Date ship arrived in port. Date car left port and estimated dealer arrival date. Then you got a call from the dealer when it was ready to be picked up. No add ons, no over MSRP. No wondering if you really had a car ordered. No taking what ever color/package a dealer decides to stick you with. Toyota greatly underestimated the appeal of the 2nd Gen Prius and totally screwed up the process because of it.