1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dension DICE Ipod Integration Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by LurkAzusa, Jul 2, 2006.

1. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thought I'd share my installation method for those who would like a hidden-in-drawer solution.

1. Use the VAIS installation instructions for installing the hookups to the radio. http://priuschat.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3457

Nav Unit adapter cable: about 6" V Shaped
    Cable from radio/adapter to electronics box: 22"
    Insert the Nav Unit Adapter bottom of V into radio. Then attach the 22" cable into one of the ends of the V cable.

Instead of putting the unit in the glovebox, run the wires down the vent panel to under the center hump under-dash panel.

Drawer Installation:
    No holes, no extra cables (except for the aux line). Leaves enough cord for the iPod to reach the MFD screen or fit in the cup holders easily. The cords and iPod are stored in the drawer under the console. Cord does not interfere with drawer motion.

1. I removed the center console by lifting the cup holder assembly to remove it.

2. Unscrewed the two screws near the floor that had been hidden under the cup holder assembly. I loosened the screw that joins the side panel to the console, just above that screw on the driver's side.

3. Unbolted the 10mm bolts under the felt liner in the arm console. You can now move the whole console up and back.

4. Removed the center hump under-dash panel by pulling straight out from the power plug and just continue to pull straight out from the left side of panel.

5. Fished the 8-pin mini-DIN and aux cable through the carpet from the console side to the under-dash side. The iPod connector end is very difficult to fish, so I found it very easy to do it this way.

6. Connected cords to the DICE Box and pulled the slack thru the carpet. Replaced the center hump under-dash panel.

7. Led the wires around the outside of the driver side screw connector and tucked them under the carpet.

8. Replaced the console and tucked the wires between the side panel and console, where I had loosened the screw, to a point level with the top of the drawer. Tightened the two screws on the driver side to hold the wires, then tightened the screw on the passenger side. Replaced the bolts in the console and put cup holder assembly back on.

9. Photos of finished installation:
    Wire Placement Photo
    DICE Placement Photo
    Finished Look Photo
    iPod in Drawer Photo

I made a clip to hang my iPod on when I wish to have it visible. See the photos in the following links.
    iPod Clip Photo
    Clip on Dash Photo
    iPod on Dash Photo

2. falcinator

falcinator New Member

I appreciate your detailing of the process as I'm finalizing mine as well but your photos are a bit fuzzy.....

3. jblust

jblust New Member

This was an awesome idea LurkAzusa, and after being inspired by your post, I ended up doing mine the same way (although Priuschat was down/unavailable when I was trying to install it on Monday, so I had to do it from memory and I did it a little differently).

I ended up installing the DICE unit on top of that little plastic "shelf" behind the center kick panel, becuase it seemed to make it easier to get the cover back on. Also, to feed the IPOD cable out of the drawer, I drilled a hole big enough for the mini-DIN connector in the "roof" of the drawer section, and then fed the cable from the inside of the drawer, around the side, and under the carpet up to the DICE unit. (I suppose a picture would have been much more helpful...)

Before seeing your post, I had forgotten that the little drawer was even there, so this is a great stealthy install. Thanks!

4. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the feedback. I couldn't seem to get a clear picture due to no light available while focusing. Hopefully they convey what I did.

I replaced most of the photos with clearer versions. Thanks Dr. Ed.

So, jblust, you have the wires coming up thru the top of the drawer, instead of from the side, huh? Completely stealth that way once the cupholders are in place, right? Great idea, but I was a little shy about drilling holes in my baby.

5. whole2th

whole2th New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Jul 6 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]281837[/snapback]</div>
    Many consumer cameras have what I call a "tulip" button--for closeup focus. When pressed, a tulip icon appears on the view screen and the camera is set to take closeup images.

Perhaps this suggestion will help in getting well-focused closeup pictures.

6. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does anyone have a working link for the VAIS installation instructions? I'd like to correct my original post.

Thanks.

7. aswindler

aswindler New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LurkAzusa @ Oct 11 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]331482[/snapback]</div>
    I believe this is the "official" post:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=12201

aSwindler

8. rg3design.com

rg3design.com Junior Member

I am patiently waiting for my DICE to arrive and thinking about all the places to put the iPod. Your idea is a good start for me and the pictures are a HUGE help.

I was thinking of running the wire inside the center console but I'd like to either snake it up thru the front cup holder or do what you did but put the iPod in the front cup holder when driving or when friends are in the car so they can flip thru the iPod. Tell me, is there enough of slack on the wire to bring the iPod to the cup holder either of the ways I described?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rg3design.com @ Jun 6 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]457113[/snapback]</div>
    You could with the cables that come with the kit - but let me warn you on two things - be sure to put your iPod away since it could be stolen in it's very obvious spot - and if you brake suddenly or worse crash the iPod could go flying and become a very nasty projectile against the dash/glass or some-one's face so try to keep it in a secure position when it's not in use.

10. rg3design.com

rg3design.com Junior Member

Your instructions helped me a great deal today. The entire installation took me about 2 hours to complete because I wasn't completely sure how to navigate around certain areas of the car (like behind the radio and all that).

The hardest part by far was snaking the wire under the carpet to the center console. I had wire that I looped some string to and pulled that thru so I can attach it to the connector and pull it through.

As of right now the iPod will stay in the drawer in the center console but since there is so much slack I will probably put it in the cup holder as I drive. Believe me, I'd never leave anything sitting around in my car to give someone a reason to do a smash and grab. I like the fact that your method for this installation is so concealed though. The least people can see in my car the better it is.

Thanks again for your help.

11. llyons

llyons Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is the installation different for a package #3 that doesn't have a nav system?

12. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(llyons @ Jun 12 2007, 12:02 AM) [snapback]460003[/snapback]</div>
    No.