1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dension ice>Link question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marlin, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So I'm thinking about buying the Dension ice>Link iPod integration thingy, and I've got just one question for anyone who already has one.

The flash demo on their web site says you can either press and hold the "Next Track" button to select an item from the menu or press the "Fast Forward" button. However, the manuals that I downloaded only specify using the "Fast Forward" button to select menu items.

So, which is it? Can you select an item or playlist by holding down the "Next Track" button, or do you have to use the "Fast Forward" button?

The reason I ask is because the fast forward button exists only on the touch screen. I'm thinking about mounting the cradle on the left side of the steering wheel, beside the vent and kind of behind the turn signal. This would be a convient place if all of the playlist selection can be done from the steering wheel. It would be a minor pain if I had to go back to the touch screen to press the "Fast Forward" button each time I wanted to drop down a level in the ice>Link menu. I realize that I would still have to go to the touch screen to select Disc 6 to enter the menu to begin with, but once in the menu, I wouldn't want to have to keep switching between looking to the left and controlling on the right.

2. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have an ice>Link Plus hooked up to my Alpine head unit in my ol' Nissan Maxima. To move between menu items on the special iPod menu, I press track forward or back. To select the menu item, I hold down track forward for a second or two. Holding down previous track goes back a menu. Fast-forwarding and rewinding on the Alpine unit is done by holding down the next/previous track buttons, though.... so I have a feeling that selecting a menu item will either be done by holding the next/forward track button like I do, or else just pressing the fast-forward/rewind button, which is essentially what mine emulates, I guess...

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks,

It sounds like I don't quite have my answer yet though. It could be that the ice>Link treats a long press of the "Next Track" button as a select, or it could be that the Alpine stereo sends a "Fast Forward" button press to the ice>Link when you hold the "Next Track" button down.

I've never tried doing that on my Prius. I'll have to give it a try later today.

Either way, it's probably not going to affect my decision to buy it.