1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dented and scratched

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ceres, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Ceres

Ceres Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

My '07 Prius got dented and scratched up while parked at a local grocery store (Trader Joe's). I bought this car only 7 months ago and now there are huge, long dents and major scratches along the left side of the car, starting from the driver's side door to the back passenger door. Judging from the residual paint left on the doors, someone with a white/silver car obviously didn't know how to correctly pull out of an adjacent parking space (and didn't bother to leave a note). I am so bummed. =(

Has anyone here ever asked their car insurance company to repair cosmetic damages to the Prius like the ones I described? If so, has the insurance company penalized you because of it, such as raising your premium?

Thanks ahead of time.

2. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any security cameras at the store?

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was at a TJ some time ago and this older woman with a boat of a car turned into a space rubbing and moving the car in the next space......I went in and got the manager. The woman did not even have a clue she had hit someone. It was not your Prius though.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This sounds like a comprehensive claim so I wouldn't expect the premium to increase. If it isn't repaired & you are involved in a collision that adjustor will note "prior damage" and reduce your claim. I'd feel better getting it fixed.

1 person likes this.
  5. jry423

jry423 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This would actually be considered a collision claim, considering there is remnants of paint from another vehicle, at least in Ohio. Your insurance will cover it, but you'll have collision deductible, potential for increased rates.
    As for prior damage notations, I wouldn't reduce your claim if the damaged part were damaged again. A damaged door needs to be replaced or repaired, regardless of if it was already scratched. That said, I'm not gonna cover a previously damaged part that wasn't involved in the current claim.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ceres

Ceres Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to everyone for their advice and recommendations.
    BAllanJ: No cameras in the parking lot unfortunately. It was quite dimly lit too which makes for a perfect hit-and-run, intentional or not.

Salsawonder: How I wish more bystanders were like you! Others would have just watched and went on with their business.

JimN and jry423: Thanks for the insight. I have AAA car insurance, so perhaps they might be a bit more forgiving with any premium increase.