1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deposit down...dealer "doesn't know inventory they are getting in"???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by khowardrn, Jun 9, 2009.

1. khowardrn

khowardrn New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi-

We put a deposit ($500) down on a 2010 Prius approx. 2 weeks ago at a dealer in South Florida. (We live in Broward, but went to a dealer in Dade who was willing to waive the dealer fee, add floor mats and charge only MSRP). We requested a Prius V dark grey with Nav. When we called the dealer yesterday for an update, we were told they have no idea of the inventory they will be receiving. What sparked the call, was a listing on the Toyota website that showed that dealer would have our exact prius on order in stock. Even showed the last 6 of the VIN. Not sure how accurate Toyota's website is, though concerning inventory. I found it hard to believe that they don't at least know, we are receiving X number of Prius' at the end of June, etc, etc. So, I called another dealer in Broward and he said yes, they would be able to pull up a list on the computer to check the inventory they would be receiving. However, my deposit is at this other dealer, who now (hmmm, now that they have the deposit) doesn't seem to be very willing to work with us. We did put a 45 day time limit on the contract, so if they don't receive our Prius within about a month from now, then we get the deposit back. However, we would really like to have the Prius by the end of July, as we are planning a road trip. Any suggestions for South Florida area. (As a side note, we originally intended to buy at a dealer in Broward, but they would not budge on the $700 or so dealer fee).

2. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My dealer in WV just received confirmation of the Prii he will be getting from the Pyxis. If your dealer has already promised the inventory he is getting to others then it may be that he truly does not now when your vehicle will be in.

3. rcsting

rcsting Toyota Fanatic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The dealerships know long before the cars arrive exactly what they will be receiving. You dealer isn't really being helpful, I've spoke to several dealers that were saying the same thing. I ended up buying from a great dealer who told me exactly what was arriving and kept me up to date.

4. steve44

steve44 New Member

Model:
    II
    We got the same speech. We wanted a color and they couldn't guarantee anything but the sales guy did look in their database and said there is a car with our colors and will hold it. So not sure what that means with him saing "cannot confirm" and "we'll hold it" We'll see. The sales guy was new and not very knowledgeable. However today my wife now wants to change the exterior color so I'm hoping I can go back today and request a different color without any problems. If they don't work with me then I'll just request my $500 deposit back (or reject the car when it comes in and get my deposit back). Hopefully they work with me and hopefully the color we want will be part of their shipment. Good luck to you. FYI - we paid MSRP 22,000+750. But we got $200 extra for our trade in through multiple negotiations. They were extremely tight with negotiating but after my deal my sales guy said we did a really good job negotiating with his manager. A lot of negotiating for $200...guess this car really is in demand. I cannot believe I paid sticker. I feel like I got taken to the cleaners :washing:

5. gliverm

gliverm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Here in the Twin Cities, we had similar experiences finding a willing dealership. Our closest one never seemed to want our business. Went in maybe 4 times and never got to a "deposit down" stage with them - just gave us the run around. "Were getting maybe 10 in next week, I think." Or better, early on they told us, "Oh, it will be several months before we see any of those." Our salesperson never returned calls the week that all the other local dealers had one on the lot for demo.

Ended up doing multiple deposits elsewhere with two others, though. Turned their screens for us to see the Dealer Daily dates out to July! Very helpful! Sat down knowing more about the cars/packages than either salesperson - Thank you PriusChat... Knowing we'd have to wait for our color/package to match exactly. We waited less than two weeks to get THE CALL. Can't wait.

Best part so far, was selling the wife's '01 Passat in less than 24 hours off Craigslist. Skipping the trade-in haggle which they lowballed. Love that Craigslist.

We'll have our little snowball (blizzard pearl) in Minnesota very soon.