1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Depression/Anxiety: Invisible Affliction

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Time to take a little risk. Why not? Life is short.

PC is as unlikely a place for a thread on depression/anxiety as any. There are probably scores of online groups addressing the problem(s). I've never looked.

If statistics are to be believed, others who are on PC besides me have been diagnosed with chronic depression and/or anxiety (they often are linked, for those who don't know, but do also occur separately).

Or there could be people who wonder if they "have it", who have thought about seeing a psychiatric professional but have backed away, don't dare, feel they can't deal with the "stigma". (Yes, despite more openness the last 25 years, there is still a strong stigma, in the minds of some, attached to "mental disorders".)

If PCers don't personally have the problem, odds are strong some have an S.O. who does, or another family member, or one or more friends. Some undoubtedly know personally of a suicide among family members or friends. (Suicide will not be the focus of this effort, though it certainly can be talked about.)

If someone wants to post here, but is unwilling to do so under his or her screen name, they can do so under the "guest" mechanism.

Why even do this? Because I believe, after 50 years of being aware of my illness, that it would have been better for me if I had "come out of the closet" a long time ago. As it was, mine wasn't clinically diagnosed until I was almost 30, which cost me at least 15 years of early treatment. (I became aware that I was somehow "different" at about age 15.) Perhaps, with a little sensitivity, you could help someone to get diagnosed. Or treated. That would be "worth it" for me.

A "therapy" or "support" group? No, PC isn't the place. Individual conversations arising from the thread could be useful for some, though. We all have the potential to be resources for one another in various ways, as I think we all know.

I'm always available for individual communication, too, through PM or e-mail.

If there's any interest at all, I'll talk more freely about my experience with these twin near-killers as things unfold. I won't "spill my gut" up front, as if I were wearing it on my sleeve, or seeking attention. That's not the case.

A touch of obsessive/compulsive? Yep. Manic/depressive? That, too. "Panic attacks", perhaps the scariest instances in one's life? Yep. Spent too much of my life in ERs before I was diagnosed. Agorophobia? Yes, in its "mild" form. Schizophrenia? Nope.

Yet I managed to function in a lifelong working career, with few knowing of my "baggage", except for a supervisor or close friend or two. Others aren't so fortunate.

Two days ago the results of a landmark study on the effectiveness of a few depression medications were announced. Bottom line: 50% who take meds are helped. This is higher than I would have thought. The "help rate" for traditional "talking therapy" is far lower. The psychiatric community doesn't trumpet it, but the "success rate" for meds-less therapy is less than 10%.

I happen to be taking one of the four anti-depressants that the study surveyed. In my case, I tried at least 15 other meds before finding that this one worked for me. So one lesson: don't give up.

There is one other PCer who has openly mentioned his depression. I hope that person chimes in. Geez, look at all the gays who feel free to speak openly here!
    :)

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice post. I've always felt i'm a little bit of all of those diagnosis. maybe on day when i get a "real" job, or my life gets a little.. er.. a lot more organized i'll go to a doctor and see what kind of money they can make off of diagnising me. On my own i don't know where to start. *shrug*

3. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

My brother suffers from this and is taking Zoloft now. He's been on other drugs in the past, but this one seems to help him the most. Of course, he is in college and drinks alcohol, so whether or not it could be working better is a mystery. We also have other family members on Prozac, Zoloft, etc. While I sometimes think I might need a little something myself, I have and will continue to refrain from prescribed medications. I just think that there are healthy alternatives to most if not all problems.

4. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I do not know, I've known a few people who are on anti-depressants, and IMO, Dr.'s seem to prescribe it to almost anyone. The question is, how do you differentiate between those that really need it, and those who need a lifestyle change who are just looking to blame their woes on something other than themselves?

5. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I know that after hurricane Katrina, some doctors were trying to give anti-depressants away like candy. "Oh you're not in pain, you're just depressed." I'm sure some people bought into it, too.
    :rolleyes:

6. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I masked my depression with alcohol for 20 years---without knowing what I was doing! I could rarely get to sleep without quantities of beer or wine. (I had a strong "death fixation" upon getting into bed most nights). I even thought I was an alcoholic.

But once I got on medication, even though it wasn't totally effective, I gave up drinking in 1975. I still like an occasional "special occasion drink" or two, and it sure is a lot more fun since it isn't part of a habit.

Depression and alcoholism can be related, as many know.

I forgot to mention that both depression and alcoholism run in my family. Both parents were alcoholics, and I'm pretty sure both were depressed, though undiagnosed.

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

You're right, anti-depressants are probably overprescribed (for "situational" unhappiness), and we do live in an age of "designer drugs". No question.

But you do raise a key question. Let me start to answer it nice person-backwards, if you will.

Until I was in my early 30's, I was a chronic "the grass is always greener" guy. I was always looking to move somewhere else, try another job or---especially---find a "more compatible" SO. I always felt I was "unlucky" and hadn't found "the right life situation" for ME.

In other words, I always predicated my own "happiness" on factors in the OUTSIDE WORLD. I sure never recognized this as a classic symptom of depression.

In fact, let me go farther. I was often disdainful of "simpletons" who seemed "easily amused", who seemed satisfied with less than what I thought they "should have", who "didn't take life seriously" enough---by my "standards".

Now there's a fine line between being a hypercritical person, perhaps of above-average intelligence, also, who is "normal" but simply has "high expectations" and judges everything by them---and a person who SEES THE WORLD through the "filter" of depression.

But I am now convinced, after awareness of my own condition and observation of others, that a "goodly share" of hypercritical people---some regard themselves simply as "perfectionists"--- are in fact at least somewhat depression-prone.

How do you differentiate? Diagnosis---and, in my opinion, a "second opinion" in so critical a matter is a MUST. After all, we're not talking about "do I have musical talent or not?". We're talking about "do I have a treatable medical problem"?.

8. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

wow... sounds like me... :unsure:

9. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I think you cited the wrong quote, Cobra. :)

10. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As a nurse with over 20 years experience in the medical and psychiatric fields I know that people are poorly diagnosed, poorly medicated and poorly treated way too often. Psych doc's are way too comfy starting, increasing and adding drugs. Many in the medical field don't take mental illness seriously and will stop psychiatric meds during a hospital admission.

Personality traits cannot be changed and some folks enjoy the pity party. Depression should be diagnosed based on the way it affects your life. Is it long term or situational (post partum, death of a loved one). Some things to think about as you pursue help:
    1. Rule out medical situations. Hypothyroid is a medical condition that causes depression, pain, chronic illness, BP meds may contribute to changes in mood
    2. Talk to a psychologist/therapist before you start meds with your primary physician or a psychiatrist (your Primary should not prescibe psych meds)
    3. If 2 drugs from any one "group" have not been helpful, move on to another group.
    4. Be truthful about your feelings and your treatment regimen to yourself and your care providers
    It is so hard to advocate for yourself when you are just looking for general medical care but advocating for yourself when you suffer from mental illness is so much harder.

11. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Deb,

Thanks. Good advice, especially (IMO) #2 and #4.

With that invaluable experience as a professional, I hope you'll monitor this discussion from time to time and contribute as you see fit. I am not an "expert", though, since I became aware of my own problem(s), I have read everything I can get my hands on, including in the "professional literature". I'm just an "educated layman" who sees more benefit in "coming out" about it than pretending it doesn't exist. If someone had given me some "friendly advice" when I was, say, 18 and they recognized a symptom or two, my life could have been better, sooner.

It's often hard to get an accurate diagnosis---depending, often, on how willing the "patient" is to be totally honest about the feelings he or she has had. I'd bet that often a person, in describing his or her "symptoms", focuses on a particular "thing" (occurrence) that has made him or her "sad", and ends up being misleading to the professional because he or she "couldn't get it all out".

Also, it can be impossible to distinguish between "prolonged sadness" (of up to, say, 6 months or even a year) and clinical depression.

12. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure where you got the 10% from, but from many other sources, the help rate for talk therapy ranges from 50%-83% (primarily cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal therapy) and significantly lower rates of relapse (compared to medication).

13. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Another couple of observations/hunches/theories:

1. I have a hunch many, if not most people who are, or tend to be "control freaks", are depressed.

2. I'm pretty sure depression could be diagnosed in teenagers much earlier than it is, if parents were more informed (AND observant).

Depressed kids are more likely to at least appear to be "on the quiet side". They are much more likely to seem "abnormally serious-minded", and, for example, not to join in in a group situation where most are light-hearted and laughing (but may also be self-conscious enough to at least offer up a weak smile, so as not to seem "out of it").

Such kids may also seem "apathetic", and in fact they are usually not.

Ironically enough, kids like this usually slip under the radar of both parents and teachers. They usually don't cause obvious trouble, are not rowdy and in fact may be more than normally polite and deferential.

3. Depressed people, although probably possessed of a sense of humor (tending on the cynical side, and often expressed in outright sarcasm), and able to laugh at times, cannot "belly-laugh".

4. I think that simple as this may sound (and it isn't), love (more to the point, the LACK of it) may (and...may not) be at the root of many cases of depression.

In other words, depression unquestionably has a genetic component in many cases, if not most. ON TOP of that---and possibly by itself---lack of love from any source (parents, siblings, anyone in family) early in life may also lead to at least semi-permanent depression. And, unfortunately, if it's "deep" enough, that kind of depression, beyond a certain point, (say, 12 or so years of age) may not be "cured" by love later in life. It becomes "imprinted". Such a person lucky enough to find someone who loves him or her later in life may indeed respond to it, and be less depressed than they otherwise would---but they're likely (on an unconscious level, at least) to be possessive and jealous with respect to their "lover", on a gut level deathly afraid of losing that love. Sadly and ironically, the behavior of some such people can indeed drive the "lover" away. Do we all know people who just seem "needy"?

My own parents: mother raised in orphanage, parent(s) unknown. Father: oldest of 9 kids, always heavy home responsibilities, parents traditional Germanic un-demonstrative (not to say "unloving", but that's also possible) people.

Yet among the 5 or 6 younger kids in that family, there seemed to be no evidence of depression later in life. My guess: the younger ones always got at least some love/attention from their older sibs (three of whom were female).

14. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I've seen success rates like that quoted for therapy IN CONJUNCTION WITH meds. My quoting "10% or less" comes from a professional psychiatry journal (I'd have to look it up).

15. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The rates I quoted came from about 10 different studies from many journals. Medication was not used in those studies (it would be a huge confound). I would type them out, but I am on my way to class. Perhaps later tonight after class if anyone is interested.

Just one that is in a Psychiatry journal is Rush 1996, Archives of General Psychiatry, The role of psychotherapy in the treatment of depression: Review of two practice guidelines.

A caution against using just one study (even from a reputable journal) to prove a point is that you are staking your whole claim against the methodology used in that study. Without training in research design and statistics, the flaws in the research may not be seen and the bottom line is the finding has to be replicated. This goes for even meta-analyses (studies that combine the results of lots of different studies).

Either way, there are effective methods for treating depression available for those that seek it.

16. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh it's well known that medication alone is in most cases absolute crap.

big pharma would have you believe there's a pill for everything. and that taking the pill cures you with no effort on your part other than remembering to take the medication (and some people don't even want to be expected to do that on their own)

but that's not the truth. sure there's the chemical imbalance and the genetic factors, but it's not only nature... it's also nurture. in most cases there is some kind of trigger. stress, posttraumatic stress, whatever. and making it through situations where the trigger is present is not going to be easily taken care of by some chemical that absorbs into your bloodstream and hangs out in your brain for a while. that requires some kind of discussion, some kind of perception change or other way of handling it that a pill cannot do.

what it comes down to is the fact that humans are more than a set of biochemical reactions.

17. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Even though I'm the one that first used the words, we'd have to agree on what "help rate" means. I mean "success rate", that is, a temporary or permanent "fix" such that the patient not only can function reasonably well, but no longer feels depressed.

No way that "talk therapy" alone has even close to a 50% rate in "curing" depression. Not chronic, endogenous depression, anyway.

I do think, common-sense-ically, that "situational" depression can very likely be "helped" by talk therapy.

18. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was actually using help and success rate as one and the same. As in a person has a substantial reduction in symptoms to where they are no longer depressed. Any other definition of help rate is pretty much useless IMO.

Talk therapy is indeed at it's lowest a 50% success rate and has a lower % of people that relapse (fall back in depression than does medication alone). You are free to think what you want, but this sounds like this is based on your own personal opinion and not on any studies of treatments. Which this is fine for you to state, but it is incorrect to say this has been in anyway proven in empirical studies.

Discussing chronic, endogenous depression, most cases of depression are not chronic (i.e. there aren't distinct episodes of depression). Only about 1/3 cases of depression have little or no recovery between episodes. There is another condition, dysthymia, that is very similar to this a chronic depression that is not quite as severe but is chronic. I think this may be what you have been referring to based on your previous posts.

Nevertheless, there are methodological issues with research on the treatment of depression, but these exist both for pharmalogical studies just like it does for therapy effectiveness studies. However, the results are clear that talk therapy is effective at treating clinical depression (people have to meet clinical levels of depression to be in the studies).

I'm not sure what you mean by "situational" depression, but I think you may be referring to Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood (being depressed based on some identifiable stressor), which is not truly depression as it has different criteria and different symptoms. Common sense is correct in this case, as this as well is treated very effectively with talk therapy.

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Tangent:

I disagree with this, here's how I would phrase it:

Humans are nothing more than the synergistic effect of biochemical reactions.

We just don't have the technology yet (or do we? :ph34r: ) to successfully replicate you. I know it sounds terrible but....

:ph34r:

20. micheal

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll take that tangent and raise you twenty.

I think it is in God's infinite wisdom that he has not allowed us to be able to successfully replicate those biochemical reactions. What would happened if someone went and copied Mystery Squid? Because how could the earth handle two Mystery Squids? It would cause a massive shift in the energies of the universe and doom us all. :blink: