1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Desert Nissan in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by michaelcox, May 26, 2006.

1. michaelcox

michaelcox New Member

I've been looking at getting a Prius since 2001. Test drove one of the "Classics" back then, also at Desert Nissan. They wanted to go above MSRP and all sorts of crap. I left. Test drove one back in 2005. Finally, the Wife and I needed a new car and we decided (yesterday) that we wanted to get a Prius. I went online last night at about 10:30 PM and sent an e-mail to all the nearby dealers (4 in Las Vegas, 2 in nearby towns). Desert Toyota called me this morning and told me that they had an order come in yesterday for someone on the list and for whatever reason they were not getting it (they implied a finance/credit problem). They told me that I could get it if I wanted. I gave them my credit card number, whereby they put a $500.00 down payment on it. I went in this afternoon and purchased it.

It is a 2006 Prius with package 7 (NL) in Driftwood Pearl. I got the extended warranty (6 years, 100000 miles), GAP, and Prepaid Maintenance. I paid $33,833.13, including Sales Tax, GAP, Prepaid Maintenance, and the extended warranty. I think that it's amazing that I got the next day, and for MSRP to boot! :)

2. mike_m

mike_m New Member

3. michaelcox

michaelcox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ May 26 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]261310[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the suggestion. I paid $995.00, I think, but will check.

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Dealers have typically been charging $1500-$2000 for the PLATINUM 7yr/100K EW (not 6-yr). If you don't drive that many miles annually, you'll benefit from the extra year.

The prepaid maintenance plan is usually a cash cow for them, too.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Desert Toyota in Las Vegas are the ripoff artists who tried to charge me a $2000 market adjustment after I had been on their waiting list for 3 months and being promised "no funny business" with the price. This was almost exactly two years ago, when we bought our first Prius.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michael H. Cox @ May 25 2006, 11:54 PM) [snapback]261221[/snapback]</div>
    Looks to me like they got at least $2000 over MSRP from you. Of course they would sell the car to you that day, they love people like you. Whenever someone willing to pay $2k over MSRP shows up, they sell them the cars of the people on the waiting list who aren't willing to pay over MSRP, and tell the person at the top of the list their car was "damaged in transit".

6. moolman

moolman Member

Once you buy all the extras it's stops being MSRP. Buying all those extra options makes it super easy to get a prius without waiting. That's why I had to shop 20 dealers in the Los Angeles area to find my prius because everyone made you buy extra crap.

GAP insurance is the worst, most insurance covers the GAP if you owe more than what the car is worth, if not you have to pay about $5-10 for it for 6 months. For example, I pay $5 for 6 months of GAP insurance through Mercury Insurance. After 6 months they removed it because the car was worth more than what was owed. Especially for the prius where the residual is very high, GAP is more useless. You can also buy GAP if you really must have it online for cheap.

Alex

7. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michael H. Cox @ May 26 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]261221[/snapback]</div>
    If you don't mind I would love a breakdown of that $33,833.13. car/tax/maitenance/warranty. I will be going to Las Vegas next week and plan to visit Desert Toyota so it would be very helpfull. THANKS