1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

desperate houseweves again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by legendsguy, Nov 14, 2005.

1. legendsguy

legendsguy New Member

I'm beginning to see a pattern on Desperate Housewives. The last three shows have all had a Prius in a scene. It is always a silver Prius. Last week I actually had to put my Tivo into slow motion to see it. Sure eough it was there. Last night it was clearly shown. I will continue to watch for it in future episodes.

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One thing that surprised me is that the engine was actually running. At that speed, they could have easily gone by in stealth mode.

Although, I'm sure they just started the car up for that scene and it was warming up. Plus, it's more noticeable with the engine running. The big question - whose initiated all this product placement. Is it clever Toyota advertising?

3. legendsguy

legendsguy New Member

I gotta believe it is the creator or the producers. You know Hollywood is big on the Prius. I was at the Oscars a couple years ago when so many of the stars arrived in the Prius. I really knew nothing about the car at that time but it certainly made me aware of them that night.

4. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

My money is on paid product placement.

DH is marketed strongly, the best/worst of the cat and mouse with new episodes last year, teasing advertising, cross-marketing on talk shows, etc. I doubt anything happens on that show without a check going to someone.

5. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But, is the Prius something Toyota really needs to market? If they double their production for 2006, would there be any left on the lots? What if they trippled it?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My wife and I were laughing at that. We were watching and I saw it go by through the window. From left to right. She didn't believe me so we rewound the DVR and there it was. In the same scene, not more than two minutes later, it went by again. This time from right to left.

7. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"But, is the Prius something Toyota really needs to market? If they double their production for 2006, would there be any left on the lots? What if they trippled it? "

Yes, but even so, they are still advertising HSD heavily, and don't forget the value of "brand marketing" over and above product advertising.

8. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've definitely been noticing Prii making appearances on quite a few tv shows and movies lately (DH, Charmed, Must Love Dogs, In Her Shoes to name a few), and I'm not sure if it's because I've become more fixated on them recently and just notice them a lot more, or if they're just making more appearances on television and on film.

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i saw that one last night too. subliminal mesesages from toyota: buy a prius... :lol:

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Maybe the subliminal advertising is sinking in: A tennis outfit clad desperate housewife was in front of me at Starbuck's getting her Chai Latte the other day, her similarly dressed friend ordered one of the Christmas Peppermint drinks. After receiving their orders, they proceeded to climb into the black Prius I spotted earlier. (Yes, I am a stalker.)

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    BigDaddy,
    Your story has two leading roles: the tennis-outfit clad housewife and the Prius.
    I'm still trying to decide which one you were stalking. Personally, I can go either way. ;)