1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Destroyed my spoiler on garage door :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sorka, Dec 8, 2009.

1. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Not me week with the Prius. First I get a flat tire and have to put the spare on because I didn't have a plug kit with me. That was no big deal. 10 minutes to ream and plug the nail hole and I was back on the road in 30 minutes.

This morning, I destroyed my hatch spoiler with the garage door.

I don't believe there's any other damage but I didn't have time to take it appart. When I get home tomorrow night, I'll disassemble it.

The garage door hit it coming down and pulled up on the way back up :(

It should be covered by my insurance under comp with a $100 deductible. But I'd prefer to repair it off the books if I can.

Anyone know of good salvage yards around the country likely to have a factory painted silver pine mica touring spoiler

Toyota doesn't sell them painted, or so a local dealer told me.

I also cracked the led brake light on the back of the spoiler.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You probably also want a trip beam accessory, to prevent the garage door from closing when an obstacle is in its path. Enough friends and relatives had hit their cars with the door that I bought this with my door opener.

The instructions called for a height setting to protect small children, not cars. Lacking children, I set it high enough to protect the car tails.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry to hear about the damage. I'm guessing that your best bet would be a salvage yard.

As for the trip sensor, it would be a good idea to move it up to car bumper height. Mine is something like six inches off the ground which allows the rear bumper to hang over and into the path of the door. Since we don't have kids I think I'll move it up higher.

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmnnn... another project idea that I'll never get to: mount the sensor on the bottom edge of the door with a hinged mount. As the door goes up it drops down about 2-3" below the bottom edge of the door. That way, anything within 2-3" of the leading edge stops it. As it gets close to the ground it pivots back up and out of the way....